anti lag

flirt

anyone up on the anti lag system for turbo cars..

i have alot of lag on the APS TT kit and want to fit anti lag, anyone done this yet/?

If installed and mapped properly then you should have no lag on a tt set up. Best advice that I can give you is to go back to your tuner/fitter.

anyone up on the anti lag system for turbo cars..

i have alot of lag on the APS TT kit and want to fit anti lag, anyone done this yet/?

If installed and mapped properly then you should have no lag on a tt set up. Best advice that I can give you is to go back to your tuner/fitter.

...if they hadn't gone belly up! :surrender:

It's a turbo system, there'll always be some lag regardless of engine size. The only way to reduce it is to have smaller turbos but running higher boost.

Well, that's not the only way as you could well go the anti-lag route, but it's going to be horrifically noisy and reduce the longevity of the turbos themselves. Flirt, have you got any kind of boost control on there at all? On previous cars I've used the GReddy Profec E-01 to great effect, as you can set it to keep the wastegate closed until a set pressure level is reached (usually 1-2psi below what you're aiming for) which does reduce the lag somewhat as the wastegate isn't letting the exhaust gas by so early.

Step away from the anti lag - seriously! You will not be able to run this in normal driving, so 90% of the time it will do so all. Seriously have you heard cars with anti lag? They sound like bloody machine guns! Plus igniting fuel in the exhaust system is not too for the engine or turbo in general. This seems to be the new thing to have for the Evo boys, and I think in time they are going to knacker their cars if they run it for a serious amount of time. For the moment most only have it for playground pissing contests or on the track.

Seriously mate, get it remapped better or use smaller turbos and drop the power a bit or run them at higher boost. Anti lag will cause you no end of troubles and you cant run it most of the time anyway!

not legal but i know a few peeps with als

twin turbo should not show any lag, i would get it set up properly B)

I thought that was the case if you were running two different size turbos, the first one being pretty small to reduce lag and the larger one for the higher end

True. Most of the TT setups for the Zed I've seen appear to use the same size turbo anyway, although that's going from sight rather than looking at specific serial numbers on the turbo itself.

Tbh if you expect to get no lag from a turbo engine at all you're misleading yourself seriously. The only way to get FI + no lag = supercharger, but you will then sacrifice top end power. Given that the engine is limited to 400bhp-ish before you need to start playing with internals anyway, it's the one reason I'd never consider going turbo on these cars.

That said, the thump in the back of a good turbo is seriously addictive. :wub:

Tbh if you expect to get no lag from a turbo engine at all you're misleading yourself seriously.

Sorry mate, got to disagree:

If you take the time to do a proper install and choose your turbos very carefully then no lag is achievable.

I am running my 350z at 600 bhp with huge torque at only 1 bar.

There is absolutely no obvious turbo lag and the time to spool up is minimum with the power constantly on tap.

It's a turbo. It needs exhaust gas to spool the turbo. It takes rpm to achieve the required exhaust gases to spool the turbo. You have lag.

With the right turbo choices (I'm going to assume that for such a huge figure you must have one small and one bloody great turbo!) then you can reduce lag, and it will certainly be less noticeable on a large capacity engine, but it'll always be there. Without cheating via anti-lag, using an sc as well a la VW et al, it's mechanically impossible to build a turbo system with no lag. That said, I'd very interested in the details of your system, is there a thread on here or anything that contains all the details? As sad as it is, I love reading about engineering challenges of the turbo kind :bangin:

I wouldnt think that a turbo and SC set up would work...firstly due to space restrictions, secondly due to massive torque spread....there is no way you can do somethign like that without rebuilding the internals...

imagine a linear torque curve from the SC changing into massive torque when the big turbo kicks in....unless you want to film it for an explosive stunt on you tube...its all good banter but not workable IMO!!!

check out Zmanalex's work...pretty good..or else give kevin a shout about the new PE kit...pretty much the best kit out there for moderate gains with least lag.

I wouldnt think that a turbo and SC set up would work...firstly due to space restrictions, secondly due to massive torque spread....there is no way you can do somethign like that without rebuilding the internals...

imagine a linear torque curve from the SC changing into massive torque when the big turbo kicks in....unless you want to film it for an explosive stunt on you tube...its all good banter but not workable IMO!!!

check out Zmanalex's work...pretty good..or else give kevin a shout about the new PE kit...pretty much the best kit out there for moderate gains with least lag.

I think i was joking ;)

Hmmm interesting comments....

I agree with the TT set up on the Z with small units you should not really experience any significant lag unless you go really silly with the boost.

If however you wanted to go down the route of a big single unit or massive boost then ALS is the way..

I had ALS on my RS Cos and it was great!! Very noisy but i was running huge boost through a big hybrid T4 and it worked a treat. I had to double dowl the manifold to the head to stop it blowing off and weld up the exhaust joins for the same reason but big fun. Not socially exceptable for an everyday car because of the noise etc but they really do work very well once set up correctly.

You do need good quality Turbo's for this app with 360deg bearings etc because it does put alot of pressure on the compressor wheels.

Word of warning tho... even at tickover you are getting lots of boost so slow speed manouvers can be tricky.

The set up bleeds the intake into the exhaust on a closed throttle where it explodes in the exhaust and keeps the turbo spinning... very effective indeed.. The ECU retards the ignition also.

SC's are very good too and defo worth lookin at as no lag... Both??? Err... yeah but no but yeah but no...

:teeth::teeth:

Sounds amazing, my mate has it on his TSL Impreza Sti, though he only really uses at shows & meets. Does make the Turbo a servicable item though, hence I decided against it.

One of my fav You tube videos that almost amde me fit anti-lag :wacko: