Bristol Import Centre & Jap 350z

jtec23

Hi there,

Been reading through the forum quite a bit the last few days, and think the besy option for me is to pick up an import car as i really want to mod it up a fair bit.

Does anyone have any experiences from the Bristol Import Centre?

http://www.bristolimportcentre.co.uk/

Seems to have a nice collection - all imports are fully converted to UK Spec (as far as i can see).

Is there anything else i should be wary of with the imports? - i am n00b when it comes to cars really so some expert guidance would be much appricated!

Also does anyone know any companies in the South East that would be able to fit and mod the car to my liking (id probably ship the parts from the US) - im not looking to get my hands dirty at all - would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing!

Cheers!

James

Hi James

And Welcome to the forum.

Yes I Know them, i was going to get my car from them as they sell from stock, i didnt as a friend helped me pick a car from Japan and import it myself. i saved about £3000 (roadster) on their prices but had a lot of worry moving money to japan without seeing anything for 3 months.

If i wanted a coupe and had the money i would buy from them but only from their stock cars as now a model change year, you could set up a deal.

And there are lots of companies your way that mod 350Z's but i would drive it and make a plan to upgrade after you see the options as prices in the states can be beaten over here if you shop around, like i have changed my 18" rims for 20" and after selling the old ones paid less than the price of the tyres. so free wheels !!!!

Have a look around the forum and you will see lots ideas, and hope you are driving a Zed soon.

I looked at them, but kind of discounted that option now just becuase of the price - I have seen several private JDM import sales on autotrader for quite a bit less - and remember thats just the asking price. I think that is the way I am going to go, you dont have any hassles of importing/SVA'ing and you dont have the expense of a dealer.

If you want a warranty then you can just get it yourself (its just insurance against mechanical failure at the end of the day) - dealers like that will just use a third-party warranty anyway, the difference being with the dealer is you wont be able to shop around for a good policy and you will be paying a premium for it.

If you are worried about condition or problems etc then get an RAC/AA inspection - you can arrange one before you even go and see the car - can be well worth it (although obviously will cost you), they do a lot of checking and can usually spot any previous accident damage/resprays etc. Any issues on the report can be used during negotiations too (assuming you are still interested).

Went there myself to look at a few JDM's - comparing there to other import places, and autotrader - seemed a tad on the expensive side - although fair play to them the cars looked pristine, and they had a couple with the full bodyworks on them. B):teeth:

Cool thanks guys - some helpful advice from all.

I've always been wary of buying from private dealers since i got stung with my Pug 205 many years ago....

I'm with the AA so good idea to get them to check it out.

I dont mind paying a little bit extra from a dealer to be honest, the piece of mind for me is worth it.

350Znismo - you said there are a few mod companies my way - any idea who? ive had a look on Yell and online and cant seem to find anyone....

Cheers!

James

Cool thanks guys - some helpful advice from all.

I've always been wary of buying from private dealers since i got stung with my Pug 205 many years ago....

I'm with the AA so good idea to get them to check it out.

I dont mind paying a little bit extra from a dealer to be honest, the piece of mind for me is worth it.

350Znismo - you said there are a few mod companies my way - any idea who? ive had a look on Yell and online and cant seem to find anyone....

Cheers!

James

DO NOT USE BRISTOL IMPORT CENTRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The guy there (Brian) is a thieving bastard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I put a deposit down on a car there of £500 which he said is refundable. Informed him that I had changed my mind and he refused to give me back my money. Been to trading standards and my credit card company is in the process of taking him to court!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cool -well im looking to pick up a black 350z in the very near future, and would be looking to fix the greddy kit to it - so would need someone to fit and color the kit (possibly purchase too - think the cheapest prices ive seen is from the states at $944 for the complete kit)

Would probably look to remove the limiter too if poss (looks like ill be getting a uk model)

Who would you recommend?

Cheers mate

James

• 2 months later...

Picked up my 03 Z here. I agree with the general comments about being a bit expensive but they usuall have a good selection. After sales care is crap and if I can find somewhere that carries as many I'd try there first.

I'd been promised a spare key that never materialised.

Karl