Tyre choice

SAFC99

Falken Ziex ZE-912 or toyo t1r's. Just wondering which is the best choice as they are about the same price from my local tyre shop?

Don't know anything about those Falkens (had FK452's on mine and they were good) so I'd say Toyos which seem to get plenty of good feedback on here.

I have the Toyo's and they perform well for me in all conditions. :)

+1 They last well too. Only problem at the moment is that Toyo are taking back orders for the rears if you are running standard sizes unless you have a supplier that has them in their own stock. :thumbs:

Falken Ziex ZE-912 or toyo t1r's. Just wondering which is the best choice as they are about the same price from my local tyre shop?

the ZE-912 and T1-R are not comparable tyres, the Falken 452 is comparable to the Toyo, both very good tyres.

Falken 452 are £385 for a ful set in standard sizes for the Z as a guide.

i have a set of 912's and dont rate them that highly to be honest , but predictable compared to the bridgestones in the wet !!... running 452's now and only been on 5 days , but best tyres that i have tried to date for grip, and the added bonus of a lot of tyre noise dissapearing!.. car is a lot quieter now... just my personal experience, not had any of them on the track or anything, the only thing that matters to me is wet weather handling and the dodgy bits in between that and dry... the 452's do seem a bit grippier to be honest but cant say for deffo how much to be honest but it deffo feels a lot more snappy coming out a drift as though its really biting, wheras the 912's as like the stones in the dry didnt snap that much inless the tyre pressure was a lot lower say around 26psi , but even so running the 452's at 33psi and the feel seems a bit better on turn in and snap back on liftoff in mid-drift....

sorry no personal experience with the toyo's yet as such..

I got 4 new Toyo T1-R's fitted acouple of weeks ago to my Zed. They are very good and I'm happy with them, far better than the original Bridgestones. I did struggle to source them but there are still some around if you look for them. The fronts are no problem, its the rears that are in scarce supply. See here....Clicky!!

Craig.

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody!

I've been reading this forum for several years since I bought my Z. I'm really happy for all the information I've got from here and now I have a problem that seems to be not discussed earlier.

Relaying on the good feedback I bought the set of Toyo T1R-s to go with my Nismo LM4-s a year and a half ago. I was really satisfied with that set. Starting to come a big fan of Toyo tyres I ordered a new pair of back tyres (T1R of course) from Camskill last winter, and later on, this spring also front tires of the same make and from the same supplier. Changed for a new set about two months ago and I must say they have been horrible. On dry they are alright. However, on wet and smooth tarmac there is no lateral grip what so ever. To remain on road I have to really slow down.

Can there be a consistency problem at Toyo as I don't recall anything similar with my former set of T1R-s? My new back tyres seem to wear faster than the previous ones.

Thanks for any feedback as I need to buy new tyres soon and have to decide either to bet on a new set of Toyo's or to go for an another make.

Hello everybody!

I've been reading this forum for several years since I bought my Z. I'm really happy for all the information I've got from here and now I have a problem that seems to be not discussed earlier.

Relaying on the good feedback I bought the set of Toyo T1R-s to go with my Nismo LM4-s a year and a half ago. I was really satisfied with that set. Starting to come a big fan of Toyo tyres I ordered a new pair of back tyres (T1R of course) from Camskill last winter, and later on, this spring also front tires of the same make and from the same supplier. Changed for a new set about two months ago and I must say they have been horrible. On dry they are alright. However, on wet and smooth tarmac there is no lateral grip what so ever. To remain on road I have to really slow down.

Can there be a consistency problem at Toyo as I don't recall anything similar with my former set of T1R-s? My new back tyres seem to wear faster than the previous ones.

Thanks for any feedback as I need to buy new tyres soon and have to decide either to bet on a new set of Toyo's or to go for an another make.

are they wearing evenly ? if not get 4 wheel alignment done, transformed my car, prior to the alignment it felt twitchy and tended to understeer, much more planted after :thumbs:

Thanks for your replies.

Tire pressures are 35 psi all around (245/40R18 front and 275/40R18 back). I also got 4 wheel alignment done at Nissan service together with tire change.

Tires are wearing quite evenly. However, insides of back tires wear slightly faster then outsides. I'm a bit worried as there is just about 3.5mm of tire pattern left on back tires and I changed tires only a little more then a month ago.

Could there be a problem with the differential? Not enough slip in limited slip unit?

Anyways, I'm thinking about buying a new set of back tires of different make to understand if I'm having a tire or a mechanical problem.

Thanks Trev :D

Unfortunately I didn't write down the mileage when I replaced the tires, but they could hav done that at Nissan. Anyways, I usually cover about 1800 miles a month. So, it cant be more than 2.5 k for that particular set.

Just put an order at Camskill for a pair of Falken 452-s. I'll also call Nissan service tomorrow to hear what they think of it.

Welcome, welcome.

You are a true lurker, but good you stick around and find things useful.

I've gone through the TSB and can't find anything like the problem you are having.

Something is wrong and to go through tyres that quickly assuming you aren't using a track to do that mileage on and then I'd suspect a few other problems.

:welcome:

Hi Zummertor,

No track days. And I normally drive with ESP on. That doesn't mean I use to cruise all the time. I like to go sidewise as much as a next guy :yahoo:

My 06 Zed has 33k miles on and I've had it since new. Never had a problem. That's why I've kept so quiet.

Keep up the good work guys :thumbs:

Hello again!

Still not much wiser. Visited my Nissan service last Friday and did the wheel geometry over again. They said that there was only minor adjustment needed and that they can't explain why my rear tyres are wearing out so quickly. On a closer look I can say that thread on left back tyre has worn out more from inside. Right back tyre has worn out evenly. The only comment and advice I got from Nissan was: "Change your back tyres".

I add the adjustment settings printout from Nissan just in case somebody can make any sense of it.

It all looks pretty spot-on with the exception of your NSF toe angle.

How does it affect the handling?

That sheet is from last Friday and car sure feels better after these minor adjustments. However, I haven't had a chance to try it on wet or at higher speed (over 90 mph) yet.

It all looks pretty spot-on with the exception of your NSF toe angle.

How does it affect the handling?

That sheet is from last Friday and car sure feels better after these minor adjustments. However, I haven't had a chance to try it on wet or at higher speed (over 90 mph) yet.

Your NSF wheel had too much toe out on it. This would tend to make it feel a bit twitchy in a straight line because the car would be trying to turn left all the time.

Thanks mate :thumbs:

That's exactly how it felt. Hope to do some more testing soon.

Pair of new Falken 452-s has arrived too. Will wait with them until I'm sure my problem is sorted out.

Thanks mate :thumbs:

That's exactly how it felt. Hope to do some more testing soon.

Pair of new Falken 452-s has arrived too. Will wait with them until I'm sure my problem is sorted out.

Get it checked after you have had the tyres fitted too :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates.

Went to Nissan last friday with my new pair of Falkens and a sad story.

They were very helpful this time. The head of workshop had just arrived from holiday and supervised the check of my car by himself. They even doublechecked the alignment in another workshop to make sure to get the same numbers. And they didn't charge for the alignment at all, just for tire change. Perhaps felt a little guilty for the previous time ;)

We have had a couple of really wet days here now, and I have to say that my Z feels like new again :D

Who knows, was it alignment problem or just a lousy pair of T1R-s.