when would you draw the line......

stuey

Over the last few weeks, I've been very seriously considering selling my Zed and buying a Seven for looning about in (plus the obligatory old Golf TDi for trips to the supermarket, the office, etc).

I figure I will save a lot of money over all, mainly due to the Seven's amazing ability to hold its value and the low running costs of the TDi for everyday use.

Sarnie speaks sense.......

If you are not enjoying it then it's time to sell. I know you get your kicks from the Mille so you are sorted for balls out blasts but The Zed is good too!

To be honest because of the price of fuel etc the car resale has dropped to below a reasonable level for me to consider selling until it dies or until all the other cars I like fall too!

Irrespective of the price of petrol, not selling my Zed. But I will say I'm kind of glad I'm not going through 2-3 tanks of petrol a week. ;)

what do you pay for petrol.............. :)

It was approx $1.80 NZD per litre which is about 71p :dry:

Irrespective of the price of petrol, not selling my Zed. But I will say I'm kind of glad I'm not going through 2-3 tanks of petrol a week. ;)

what do you pay for petrol.............. :)

It was approx $1.80 NZD per litre which is about 71p :dry:

Almost. ;) For 98 octane/Zed fuel it's NZ$2.19 a litre, which is very high considering our dollar, so it's all relative, the pound is stronger, but your cost of living is more expensive. Costing over NZ$170 to fill now. :wacko: Price will often change twice in a day. :wacko:

A Zed provides sanity, fun, and being part of community. Love this car, absolutely no intention of selling, especially after what I've been through to fix it. ;)

So you have had enough of rising fuel prices and tax and you buy a diesel.How would you feel then,pretty crap i would imagine.

If the government has thier way we would all be riding bikes.

Diesel is almost a quid a gallon more expensive than petrol, so you need to be getting a lot more mpg to make this worthwhile. Case in point, I took a Jaguar S Type Twin Turbo Diesel to Torquay last weekend. It did 38mpg over about 600 miles round trip. Earlier this year I took a Jaguar S Type 4.2 V8 petrol to Glasgow and back, and that car did 32 mpg over the 460 mile round trip. If you work that out against the cost of fuel the Petrol car is no more expensive to run than the diesel and hell of a lot more fun !

Modern petrol engines are capabale of very impressive fuel economy, especially if you consciously drive in an economical manner.

Meanwhile, being self employed and VAT registered I am changing the way I look at fuel costs. I spend well over a grand a month on petrol ( I'm a car dealer with over 50 cars to fuel ! ) but I get 17.5% VAT knocked off and my fuel expenditure comes off my Tax liability. So in reality a hundred quids worth of petrol only really costs me about £60. And I would rather spend it on Petrol than give it to the Inland Revenue :)

So you have had enough of rising fuel prices and tax and you buy a diesel.How would you feel then,pretty crap i would imagine.

If the government has thier way we would all be riding bikes.

Diesel is almost a quid a gallon more expensive than petrol, so you need to be getting a lot more mpg to make this worthwhile. Case in point, I took a Jaguar S Type Twin Turbo Diesel to Torquay last weekend. It did 38mpg over about 600 miles round trip. Earlier this year I took a Jaguar S Type 4.2 V8 petrol to Glasgow and back, and that car did 32 mpg over the 460 mile round trip. If you work that out against the cost of fuel the Petrol car is no more expensive to run than the diesel and hell of a lot more fun !

Modern petrol engines are capabale of very impressive fuel economy, especially if you consciously drive in an economical manner.

Meanwhile, being self employed and VAT registered I am changing the way I look at fuel costs. I spend well over a grand a month on petrol ( I'm a car dealer with over 50 cars to fuel ! ) but I get 17.5% VAT knocked off and my fuel expenditure comes off my Tax liability. So in reality a hundred quids worth of petrol only really costs me about £60. And I would rather spend it on Petrol than give it to the Inland Revenue :)

Great advice that :thumbs:

Great advice that :thumbs:

It's only fair to point out that German and French Diesels are much more economical than most. VW/Audi TDi's and Peugeot/Citroen/Renault diesels are capable of 50 miles to the gallon so that would represent a saving if you drive it correctly. Still get that greasy crud all over your hands when you fill up though :yuck:

I think we can just sum up as follows:

Its time to sell up when your personal priorities outweigh the self indulgant pleasure and satisfaction that only comes from owning a 350Z in all its guises. (I'll let Nissan borrow that one for a modest fee) ;)