02 Z33 Won't turn over.

Beefy

Hey all, long time no posting! - Got a weird issue that I could use some advice with.
2002 Z33, drove to work and back today, no issues. Packed up stuff in the boot for track day tomorrow, go to start her up to get the final fuel up, ignition on but no turning over. Almost like you get when you don't clutch in. Strange because I drove it about an hour beforehand, no problem.

Checked clutch engagement switch, no issue.
Changed relays on IPDM for the headlight relay, no issue.
Ignition and all other electronics seem to be fine.
Battery is fine.
No clicking from the starter motor. (Repeated normal malfunction clicking at least.
Spare key tried.
No codes from JOBD/OBDII port.
Fuel pump is priming.

Now when I turn the key, I do hear what sounds like the relay functioning properly.

I'm at a complete miss of what it could be at this point. - Hopefully someone with more talent can enlighten me.

Cheers!

Beefy

Have you checked your starter motor? There was an old trick on cars where if the car was on a bad point of the starter you needed to roll it past by bumping it slightlt, not sure if this is still a thing. I had similar before where the cables on battery or one was lose and was this exact symptom

Edited by rodgeevans

5 hours ago, rodgeevans said:

Have you checked your starter motor? There was an old trick on cars where if the car was on a bad point of the starter you needed to roll it past by bumping it slightlt, not sure if this is still a thing. I had similar before where the cables on battery or one was lose and was this exact symptom

Thanks for the suggestion!

It did pop through my head, but I'm parked right at the bottom of a hill on a close! So might have to wait until I get a tow to try that one out haha.

Starter seems fine from a standard "Look and see if it's still there" Going to get under it soon and see if there are any faulty connections.

• 1 month later...

Starter was the issue. Covered in oil from a mishap I had when I dropped a bottle of the finest all over the engine bay a few years ago, guessing this was the culprit. All solved now (y)