350Z Ownership - please help

Hi all,

I'm based in Berkshire and look forward to 350Z ownership. I'm searching for a 350Z HR coupe in Temper Orange, though would also consider Midnight Blue, and Rays wheels. I'm willing to be patient as I understand these are rare colours. Please contact me if something comes on the market. Anything in particular that I should be wary of with these cars? I hear tax costs a lot for the later cars.

PS: I'm struggling to sign up, I've tried at least 15 times and I'm sure I'm not making a mistake every time!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your hunt.

You're right, the tax for 2006 onwards cars is double the earlier rate (roughly £600 vs £300) so that's something to consider. If you're after a HR though they're all in the higher bracket. 

All 350z's are getting old now so the main thing to look out for is rust, underneath and around all the arches. 

Radiator fans are prone to seizing due to carbon buildup in the motors, so check they both come on when the car is running and the AC is switched on. 

Oil gallery gaskets on the HR seem an inevitable failure and cost about 1k to have replaced, so check this has been done. 

During the test drive check the clutch operates how it should and the pedal fully returns when you take your foot off, the slave cylinder can be prone to fail. It's not an expensive part but it's inside the gearbox on the HR so very labour intensive job to replace. 

Obviously listen for knocks etc during the drive, suspension components wear out and eventually fail just like any other car. If you can then get the car up in the air it'd be worth doing to inspect all the bushes for cracks, splits etc. 

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, hope it helps. 

Thanks @Jack94

Very useful advice! Speaking of running costs what kind of mpg should I expect? I hear these are thirsty beasts. 

I am aware of oil gallery gasket issues - if the pressure drops to 15psi this is a sign that it should be looked into. Is there a mileage that these gaskets fail, or is it a matter of pot luck?

I used to get an overall average of around 23 mpg out of mine, and bear in mind they need to run on 98+ octane fuel. It's a 20 year old 3.5L V6 so it's always going to be thirsty, especially if you have a heavy right foot. 

I think gallery gaskets are pot luck really, they will fail eventually it's just a matter of when. 

Edited by Jack94

I used to get 25-27 around town, stretching to 32-34 on a long run with the cruise control on, indicated by the trip computer so by no means set in stone. 

Gallery gaskets can fail at any mileage, a good friend had his HR and they'd failed spectacularly at 34,000 miles. First week of ownership he shipped the car off to Abbey Motorsport to get them done 

Hi

My son has a Daytona Blue 350Z HR.  Registered in Sept 2007.  It has just been MOT'd and service by Nissan main dealer.

professionally detailed/ceramic coated/polished last year.  Rays alloys.  Car has never missed a beat in whole time my son has owned it...he is
in army and about to go on tour.  He is a Royal Engineer so knows what oily bits to look after !  Let me know if you want more photos.

20230115_120141.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 27/04/2023 at 15:02, KCook said:

Hi

My son has a Daytona Blue 350Z HR.  Registered in Sept 2007.  It has just been MOT'd and service by Nissan main dealer.

professionally detailed/ceramic coated/polished last year.  Rays alloys.  Car has never missed a beat in whole time my son has owned it...he is
in army and about to go on tour.  He is a Royal Engineer so knows what oily bits to look after !  Let me know if you want more photos.

That looks nice  ... do you have a price in mind ?

ETA mileage ?

Edited by ATTAK Z

On 27/04/2023 at 15:02, KCook said:

Hi

20230115_120141.jpg

Cheeky I know but if your son wants to find a new home for those LMGT4s prior then look no further, just let me know 

• Haha 1

Hi all, my dad has recently gifted me his 350z fairlady on an 02 but I haven’t collected it. 
mum really looking forward to having it even though it needs a little tidying up but all in all a good car. 
my question is this, it says aug 02 on the logbook but soon as I try to get parts they say there was no such thing as an 02 they were all 03 can anyone explain this.