Trackdays & Breakdown/Recovery

Stutopia

I joined the AA not long ago when I started doing more Trackdays, as they were the only one who didn't exclude non-competitive track events from cover. Frustratingly, they've decided not to keep themselves as the easy choice for us track addicts, and now exclude it. The wording I found on my policy documents and their site were contradictory in places, a T&Cs document from as recent as Nov 2022 said track days were covered, so I emailed them to get the definitive position.

f463327c-72da-4a54-9e43-f45ae00b4a26 2.jpg

Nice of them to make this change without notifying me, it was just by chance I saw it on the web. I have no idea if they are bound by the T&Cs of what they actually sold me last year, or if they can simply unilaterally change my cover, without refunding me at least some of the premium, but there's little point in obsessing over it.

Accordingly, I've been searching for other providers, but can't find anything for recovery, without purchasing trackway insurance as well, which is not what I am after.

Anyone got any other companies they use or can recommend?

I think what the AA (and others) are getting at is they won't repair/rescue you whilst actually on track/stage/off road at events etc.

Otherwise there is no defined time period to that statement above and it would render half of all policies null and void, any car that has done a track day ever is not covered!

When I blew up my clutch at Hethel i was in the assembly area alongside the track, the mechanic came out and all he asked was, did I do it on track? i said no i didn't even get as far as the track and that was that, all reported and rescue commenced, that's another story, I do not recommend the RAC. Like Alex says, as long as you are towed/pushed away from the track then the policy is valid in my eyes. disclaimer- my eyes have had no formal legal training.

• Like 1

Easy answer: they cannot change coverage mid-term, as that’s not the contract they agreed to and the exact details should be in the policy handbook they gave you at inception. 

In terms of dragging the car off circuit and then ringing them it’s up to them: if they say you must’ve been there and you’re pulling a fast one, it’s the same as insurance claims at a track day crash so my guess it they’ll say no and get you to argue the toss long after the incident. Practically speaking I would imagine it’ll be 50/50 on the guy that actually turns up, worst case you can say you were spectating but not involved. 

I use Autoaid, it's not specifically excluded and have heard of a few people getting picked up from the Paddock using them.... they basically sub it out to a suitable local breakdown company who won't care they'll just want to get the job done and get paid. I've never had to use it mind but have a much better chance with with the likes of the AA or RAC etc

3 minutes ago, dave_7 said:

I use Autoaid, it's not specifically excluded and have heard of a few people getting picked up from the Paddock using them.... they basically sub it out to a suitable local breakdown company who won't care they'll just want to get the job done and get paid. I've never had to use it mind but have a much better chance with with the likes of the AA or RAC etc

Scratch that, I've just had a quick look and apparently any new customers are now put on a revised policy according to a thread on pistonheads.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=18&t=2013908&i=0