Z to a Cayman 987?

Yorkshire_Zed

hmmm....under 20k wont get you a mk2 right now. Last year maybe. One or Two mk2 Nismos went for sub 20k in winter.

If you do go for the Porsche just be aware that paying thousands of pounds in maintenance is the norm. Get a full blown warranty from Porsche to cover most things. Its around £1300 for 24 months and theyd probably want to carry out an inspection and other to do lists before accepting the car. PDK gearboxes are not cheap. A German out of warranty is a boat without a paddle on shits creek!

Ive seen a YouTuber say he spent £5000 on the 981 in first 12 months. Not sure what issues are on the 987 out of the usual. Make sure theyve been taken care of id say. 

Nismo just need to watch out for tramlining, clutch, wet seatbelts....check seals and look out for rust. 

Again, a 9x7 costs the same to run and maintain as a 350Z. Yes if the big bits go it’s more expensive, but that’s no more common between either marque. Get a manual ‘box (which you should), a couple of £25 rad protectors for the front grills (no brainer), a boroscope engine inspection (because you’d be mad not to) and you really don’t need a warranty. 

• Like 2

My neighbour had a yellow mid 2000s 987 3.4 boxster for around 3 years. It did get a bit of attention street parked. Retired and got a Smart car to whiz about. They seem to have jumped up a lot in price since he sold his over 6 years ago. 

http://m.australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=recalls&make=Porsche&model=Boxster&gen=763

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

Again, a 9x7 costs the same to run and maintain as a 350Z. Yes if the big bits go it’s more expensive, but that’s no more common between either marque. Get a manual ‘box (which you should), a couple of £25 rad protectors for the front grills (no brainer), a boroscope engine inspection (because you’d be mad not to) and you really don’t need a warranty. 

I would disagree with that statement. Porsche service menu pricing is more than Nissan. A Porsche Indie fix rate servicing will be more than say Tarmacsportz or Horsham see below.

Note the 20k device with RPM which then requires the additional brake fluid change £65+vat which HDev includes. HDev prices are inclusive of VAT, RPM's aren't. 

Effectively a 987 P1 service is 115% more expensive and a P2 55% more expensive.

Also a 350z resale prices isn't hurt not one iota by having home servicing in the service book. A Porsche's value is aided by having full dealer or indie service history. 

So if the owner (or a pal) are capable of changing the oil, the filters (documented) then even pay for a brake fluid change every other MOT you will save on garage labour rate year in year out for routine servicing. 

That's just the basic unavoidable P1/P2 costs

1282168179_Screenshot_20230318-1738292.png.d811622dd8feef878ded7c08d69c036f.png

1506602711_Screenshot_20230318-1759372.png.4a434a70f590ff7287af51c8942a2301.png

Edited by davey_83

Yeah, not like I owned both or anything. 

Fine, a 9x7 costs a little more at a service cos it needs more oil than a Z33 every time. That cost is offset by being better on fuel, hence I stand by my comment. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Fine, a 9x7 costs a little more at a service cos it needs more oil than a Z33 every time. That cost is offset by being better on fuel, hence I stand by my comment. 

Can you express exactly that but in the form of a YouTube video and/or several screenshots of the first thing you Googled? Otherwise we can't possibly believe you.

Better still, screenshots of YouTube FTW!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Another false claim, you've not owned a Cayman 987, the vehicle in question otherwise it's pointless information, nor a 350z coupe (107.5kg less than the Roadster) again the vehicle in question.

Was that Tesco or BP fuel? as the mpg looks comparable.

844938903_fotor_16791705149402.jpg.4f2036a8515725315e1adc73b5ae0b78.jpg

Edited by davey_83

You’ve won Davey, no need to keep posting, Docwra left, he’s obviously a man with no experience, Ekona has no idea having owned them both, neither do I, having first hand experience, but you do, you’ve done your research. None of it first hand, but who cares about real experience when you can recycle someone else’s instead:

One is terrible and one is perfect, keep replying until no one else does, that’s the way to drive discussion into the ground. No need to drive them, just screenshot stuff FTW. How is it that every vaguely discursive post on this place ends up grounded into a tedious back and forth on the back of your endless uniformed experience?

Is there any subject you don’t have the definitive view upon, based on nothing more than googling? 

How do you manage to make a reasonable discussion about anything into an endless completion to see who had the last word?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 09/03/2023 at 12:12, Yorkshire_Zed said:

With around a £15K budget ive been looking at other alternatives to my 350Z and the Cayman 987 comes up on the radar a lot. (I dont like convertibles so that rules out the Boxster)

3.4 would be the preferred choice due to the increased power.

Has anyone gone to one? Differences between the Z?

One thing i will say,is that you see quite a few Caymans on the roads compared to the Z. Theyre not as 'rare' imo and so not really more of a head turner.

Poor Yorkshire_Zed, all he wanted was opinions of people who have done the move or have experienced both cars. This thread is now pretty much 95% useless information or arguing without experience.

The OP will make up his own mind through his own research. Meanwhile we all like different things. 

Check out my owners experience of the 370Z. Theres also the cheaper GT to consider. Highly moddable and Nismo parts if you wish to go that route. For example you could get a GT for 14k and get the Nismo kit and Steering wheel for little over 2k or other parts modded. Americans claim the GT is actually very close to the Nismo on the track. Sure the Nismo is more clout than "better". It is more special. Nismo are little over £20k a bit overpriced. There is one floating for £19999. Maybe go see the 987 and check out the Nismo on same day?

There is a weight difference between the two cars that change the drive. 

987 is around 1375kg minimum

Nismo is around 1535kg at best

987 are relatively reasonable prices now. Could change quickly though

987 maybe youve seen the reviews already. Then go from there. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...