Z to a Cayman 987?

Yorkshire_Zed

18 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

You're right, it's not dishonesty it's a clear lack of basic understanding. How can one begin to compare a 350z to a 987 Cayman if you don't actually know what a 987 Cayman is. That was an absolute clanger to say it's a 986 with a tin top. It's like saying a VW Golf Mk7 is  an Eos with a hatch. For this particular discussion all his credibility went out the window with that one statement, as it's clear he doesn't know what he's actually going on about. 

In case you missed it.

47 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

That's a bit rich given endless threads about conspiracies based on little more than fantasy.

No, fair play to Davey - hes right. 

A simple error on a post that made in a rush means that all of the knowledge Ive ever gathered about cars, motorbikes and anything else with an engine is immediately invalid. 

Furthermore the experience of driving every car mentioned in this thread (apart from a Pinto), and most of them on track is rendered incorrect, Z33/Z34s now have a better chassis than they did before I made the post and Cayman laptimes have gone up by at least 15%. 
Peugeot RC-Zs have 100hp more than claimed, all of the TOTB winners were standard cars, German cars dont ever do trackdays and the Nurburgring is a made up story that German mums tell their kids to make them go to sleep.
Oh Autotrader is a work of fiction with prices generated by throwing darts at a phonebook. 

I trust the mods will do the right thing and delete all of the posts Ive made - as they are all lies of course! - I honestly dont know what Im thinking, why the hell would anyone be interested in actual experience and knowledge when you can just spout bullshit and be done with it? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, docwra said:

Seriously? 
A 987 is a facelift 986 with a roof and some more power, 

Edited as I missed a bit on 986, cheers Eddie

You've done it again, even after editing your own post. The 986 and a 987 are different cars. The 986 had its own facelift around 2002. The 987 Cayman is a first gen Cayman not facelifted 986 Boxster with a roof. 

What's even worst/sad, is you said it was a error ok a typo in essence, but then you went and dug a new hole and stepped right in. 

Edited by davey_83

3 hours ago, docwra said:

No, fair play to Davey - hes right. 

A simple error on a post that made in a rush means that all of the knowledge Ive ever gathered about cars, motorbikes and anything else with an engine is immediately invalid. 

Furthermore the experience of driving every car mentioned in this thread (apart from a Pinto), and most of them on track is rendered incorrect, Z33/Z34s now have a better chassis than they did before I made the post and Cayman laptimes have gone up by at least 15%. 
Peugeot RC-Zs have 100hp more than claimed, all of the TOTB winners were standard cars, German cars dont ever do trackdays and the Nurburgring is a made up story that German mums tell their kids to make them go to sleep.
Oh Autotrader is a work of fiction with prices generated by throwing darts at a phonebook. 

I trust the mods will do the right thing and delete all of the posts Ive made - as they are all lies of course! - I honestly dont know what Im thinking, why the hell would anyone be interested in actual experience and knowledge when you can just spout bullshit and be done with it? 

So you got the hands on experience, but how many YouTubes you watched?

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Capable "barge". Im also not suprised by the Civic or the Megane. 

Well just goes to show really. The Z when driven properly, is a very capable car on track. 

Exactly, those pair are hardcore hatches with track work in mind too. In their class nothing German gets near them on the twisty stuff. 

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Eddie_r32 said:

Doc a 987 isn't a 986 with a roof, you know this.

And Ekona to flat out say a 987 is a better car than a z is idiotic, they are different cars once a mid engined sports car other is a traditional GT car. An s class is a better car than a 987.

Ironically, the 987 does GT better than either Z mentioned here, as well as being more sporty and having likely having more luggage space (that one’s a guess, before anyone finds a YT video proving me wrong!). They’re the two cars being compared by the OP, so I think it’s fair of me to say one is better than the other. In the bits where I have said the 987 is better, can you honestly argue that I’m wrong on any count?

Definitely give the Cayman a try OP. My car history shows I like to swap out every couple of years, so dont tend to have a fans hat on when giving an opinion on cars. I think if there wasnt so many horror stories around about the 987 engine issues they would be priced much higher. So take advantage. Mid-engined driving is a whole different experience, to have that engine literally in the car with you roaring away behind your head, awesome stuff. Don't worry about lap times or the like its really quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of things...unless you plan to do some serious track time!

I am now in a Z4 3.0si which is probably the most comparable car I have owned since the 350z I had over ten years ago. I have to say I prefer the Z4. The engine revs out better and the gearbox is no where near as agricultural, much smoother, short throw, very tight. Obviously the interior is significantly better, well put together more leather less plastic. It has though the much maligned EPS but given I had spent two years hauling a VX220 about without any, I am more than happy to not feel every crease in the road every second! If you are set on moving away from a 350z and worry you are going to get borked on a Porsche, the Z4 is a decent alternative to consider.

• Like 2

On 15/03/2023 at 08:26, docwra said:

And I wont even mention a Peugeot RC-Z being a rival to a 987S ;) 

18 hours ago, docwra said:

Peugeot RC-Zs have 100hp more than claimed, 

Said to be handy to hustle about, evidently so and of which you'd know first hand.

Screenshot_20230317-084844.png.43735f38cbd0197e9923cc5b6b17d514.png

Edited by davey_83
  • Haha 1

OP should look at Nismo Mk1! Again agricultural is debatable as thats what synchrorev aims to eliminate. 

Smoother Upshifts and Downshifts with it constantly on! Meaning smooth gear changes. Ive had 2 370s plus Nissan were one of the first to have the modern manual with synchrorev which eliminates jerkyness....Now they have flat foot shifting from factory in new Z

But feel free to test drive both and try out the features on both.

4 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Said to be handy to hustle about, evidently so and of which you'd know first hand.

Screenshot_20230317-084844.png.43735f38cbd0197e9923cc5b6b17d514.png

Funny enough 6 months ago these did cross my mind was watching a couple of videos on them. 

Only thing they are FWD and those have understeer depending on the level of the LSD attached 

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/rcz/85750/peugeot-rcz-r-vs-nissan-370z-nismo-fwd-vs-rwd

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ekona said:

Ironically, the 987 does GT better than either Z mentioned here, as well as being more sporty and having likely having more luggage space (that one’s a guess, before anyone finds a YT video proving me wrong!). They’re the two cars being compared by the OP, so I think it’s fair of me to say one is better than the other. In the bits where I have said the 987 is better, can you honestly argue that I’m wrong on any count?

The 370 can fit a large suitcase and some handbags in the boot. The carry on suitcase can go between the passengers legs in the cabin as well as any further handbags behind the seat on the parcel shelf. I dropped off someone who had these at Gatwick. 

The 350Z I fit a small/medium size ikea table top and separate legs as well as a chair with wheels.

Ive also helped someone move couple of large bin bags and small storage box..

The 370 is bigger and has more storage space. newer 911 can get close as it has rear seats 

On 15/03/2023 at 16:44, docwra said:

STOP THE PRESS - @davey_83 and me agree about something 😲😲😲

I bigtime miss the old jap days - I bought my first 200SX in 2000 so watched the scene go from lads trying Laguna lip spoilers and Saab intercoolers right through to LS swaps and spaceframe builds but the early days were always the best, I particularly loved Santa Pod as you could never tell what the next car up was going to do - remember the Fensport Corolla? Man I loved that car 😍 

As a bit of a trackhead youre dead right on the 2 pedal, 4WD stuff as well, they are really, really quick but almost intuitive to drive and nowhere near as much fun - what the point of decent times if your heart rate doesnt go up? 

On the last bit: the Cayman is still arguably the best street car Ive driven (admittedly the 981 but 987 is pretty damn good) and I still miss my Z33 all the time, even on track in much more capable cars, they are indeed exceptional value for what youre getting. 

That was a bit similar to me and I got my S14a 200SX back in 2002 and I had it for 4 years. I always loved the Jap scene(TOTB/Japfest/JAE etc). Can anyone remember when that chap in his Scooby rolled it into the railings on the handling course at TOTB? 

I do remember the Fensport Corolla. 😎

wow, this thread blew up haha!

Basically ive narrowed it down to two cars - Cayman S 3.4 or 370Z Nismo - with hopefully a budget of £20K.

I just feel a white 370Z Nismo looks more 'special' and rare than a Cayman,plus running costs would be cheaper - which might sway me.

As we talking about price points and bang for you buck - you cant really beat the Renault Sports for that - i came from a Megane R26 with LSD and 265 bhp..and it was worth £5K. Massive value for money - as long as you can live with the electrical issues and build quality.

My 350Z literally has no rattles and feels so much more solid than the Megane. But both were as much fun to drive as each other - obviously NA vs Turbo though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After driving one and have a good nose round, only you can't make that decision.

I think a 350z is possibly a better prospect of you wish to modify, ie wheels, suspension, interior engine, exhaust, subtle body additions as there's way more options due to aftermarket support. To keep and leave fairly stock a Z34 Nismo would be a better choice. I find with a Nismo the more you do to them, makes them almost stop being a Nismo as they certainly won't look like one if you swap out even just wheels and mess with the body. If you're not concerned with keeping a Nismo looking like a factory Nismo, you might as well saved yourself the 8k over a GT and spend it on wheels, exhaust, suspension, tuning and seats resulting in a quicker and better handling car.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yorkshire_Zed said:

It also begs the question - is it worth 10 grand going from a 350z to a 370z hehe?

I tried to go 350z to 370z, it was better (and I'm in the minority that prefers the look of 370) but not different enough for me personally to warrant the spend. Having been to other cars in the interim, I can see a 370 on the horizon.

Regarding the personal question of looks, I adore red 370z Nismos and its the only one for me, it certainly looks more special than a Cayman on the outside. If that revs your engine, it's an easy choice, but drive them both and the worst case scenario is you've had a go in two great cars.