I know this isn't Reddit but...

AITA here? Need some advice, am I being unreasonable. I'd truly appreciate honest answers.

Ps AITA stands for am I the a**hole (I had to Google this a few years ago myself)

As you're aware I now drive a Porsche Cayman. One of my neighbours keeps complaining about the startup noise from the exhaust.

I live in a little close, whereby his front door is about 2.5-3 cars lengths from mine. See photo below (grey door is his)

PXL_20221029_085356058.jpg.bb499d838185bbff4dfa40c243a9357e.jpg

I leave for work at 7.30am Monday to Friday and he complains that Carla starting up wakes him up. She is loud but she's OEM. It's loud for about 30 seconds then quietens down.

He's spoken to me about it in the past and I now reverse into my bay so my exhaust doesn't face his house. That was better but not good enough. I've tried parking a bit further from my house, so not reversing up to the edge of my bay, so the exhaust is further from my house so the noise doesn't reflect back towards his place too much. That wasn't good enough.

He then suggested starting her then driving off straight away. I tried that, and Carla didn't like that. She felt sluggish for a few miles. I also tried starting her up then driving a little down the road and stopping until she'd got quieter. Better but not great. Still felt a bit sluggish for a few mins.

Yesterday when I got home, he came out to see me again. He started saying he can't handle it, and suggested I park down the road. I said I'm not parking my car away from my house in case it gets broken into or stolen. Yes we live in a very safe area but I'm not taking any chances. He then said he's started looking into moving house as it's got so much for him. It even woke up his 7/8 year old daughter the other day. He shares custody so has her every other week or so.

Before all this we used to get along, very well in fact. But since I bought Carla in September, he's avoided me until maybe January when he first told me that my exhaust annoys him.

Part of me thinks get a bloody job and 7.30am isn't early. Out of the 8 houses in our little close, he's the only one who has complained. He's a pilot and used to work for Qatar airways. When I bought the house 6 years ago, he was living in Doha, only coming back every few weeks. Then COVID happened and he didn't come back at all. He then took the decision in November 2021 to quit so he could spend time here with the plan to eventually fly for a British based airline.

His new job starts in a few months and he's saying that he'll be sleeping during the day after night flights and with the summer, he'll have to have his window open which will be worse for him.

I've tried googling ideas but nothing really can be done. I'm going to get the cargraphic exhaust valve mod done at some point so maybe that might help but there's no conclusive proof it will. Basically I'd be able to use a remote control to close the Porsche sports exhaust valve or open it when I want as opposed to it only opening over 3500rpm and under 1000rpm on idle. I was going to get this to make the exhaust louder for day to day running but if it helps with this issue then that's a bonus.

Selling Carla is not an option. I'd lose too much money. So yeah am I being an a-hole here?

Doorbell video of yesterday morning.

Initial startup

Within 20 seconds

Once she'd settled

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid
  • Like 1

You should be driving straight away after starting it up anyway. If the car feels sluggish then either you’re trying to rev the nuts off it before it’s ready, there’s something wrong or it’s all in your head. 

That said, it’s not obnoxious nor is it an unreasonable time. Did you have any issues with this neighbour prior to the car? You say no, but it’s odd that this has set him right off. 

1 minute ago, Ekona said:

You should be driving straight away after starting it up anyway. If the car feels sluggish then either you’re trying to rev the nuts off it before it’s ready, there’s something wrong or it’s all in your head. 

That said, it’s not obnoxious nor is it an unreasonable time. Did you have any issues with this neighbour prior to the car? You say no, but it’s odd that this has set him right off. 

I drive slowly until the car is fully warmed up, 75°c water temp. For the 1st 2 miles I don't go over 2000 rpm or over about 32mph. Only once at 50°c will I go over 2000rpm but keep below 3000rpm. After temp is reached, foot to the floor is allowed. Feels sluggish as in when the gearbox goes to change gear. Seems to not be as smooth.

I had no issues with him before. I used to go round to his place for drinks and a chat. He's been round mine to watch the F1. We would always have a good chat if we saw each other outside but since September he's avoided me. No messages, never being outside when I'm out or if he did leave his house when I'm outside cleaning Carla, he would only say hi then go off or try to slink away without me noticing but I always would but not make a scene.

20 minutes ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

So I've just messaged each other neighbour individually to ask if my car startup is an annoyance. Might as well ask.

Wrong move.....youre giving people a chance to dictate your life. Im not gona lie its loud enough to reach the houses across and vibration is the annoying part. If hes going to be working nights hes not going to be sleeping at 7:30 but about to start sleeping. Starting and driving off is what i did with the shorttails.

its sluggish but 99% of people put up with it as the vibration is more irritating than the noise for neighbours. In my area we are dealing with 5 months of renovations. So i dont want to hear anything in future. Hes a hater. Let him move

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

I had no issues with him before. I used to go round to his place for drinks and a chat. He's been round mine to watch the F1. We would always have a good chat if we saw each other outside but since September he's avoided me. No messages, never being outside when I'm out or if he did leave his house when I'm outside cleaning Carla, he would only say hi then go off or try to slink away without me noticing but I always would but not make a scene.

Lol....hes mad you moved up in the world. He was happy when you drove a Peugeot and Qashqai....you were relatable in your expected lane or station. Sad....wait till your dad turns up and you get in the drivers seat. Holy moly! Sad sad sad

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

You can't control if they are open or closed. Ecu does it.

I take it the valves are open on cold start? If they are that's outright silly and will cause matters like what you are experiencing.

Edited by davey_83

Id say drive off straight away but let the rotational mass do the work. The initial ignition is harsh but not as harsh as a v10 or v12 so yeah. 

Its funny that a pilot on 70-140,000 per year is concerned about bounty bar kids car. The plane he flew was louder and ruins lives in Hounslow

Tell him its factory oem and you can't sell as youll lose money, you cant park on the street. That you wont hang around is the best you can do. Even if you were working from home and only went out once or twice he would still complain. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

You can't control if they are open or closed. Ecu does it.

Sport and Sport Plus off?

4 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I take it the valves are open on cold start? If they are that's outright silly and will cause matters like what you have having.

German sports cars are harsh for 60 seconds no matter whatlol m3 v8 is like that but it goes nicely quiet after. 

Valves are open at idle and then once you start driving off, over 1000rpm it closes. Opens only if you put on sports or sports plus mode and go over 3500rpm.

I'll try driving off straight away. Yeah I'm on just above average UK salary, he's on at least 3 times more than me. I'm very lucky to be able to have this car. I'd never have been able to afford it. Just seems nuts. So far 2 neighbours have got back to me and said no issues. But not asked who does have them. I won't say who.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pintopete58 said:

Help him sell his house he's just a knob .

I have a taxi driver living next door and he's in & out through the night some times I here him he's only trying to earn a living & 7 30 is a normal time

If I could, I would buy his house as he has a garage and I like my neighbours, well not all of them now 😂

Make sure your car is covered by a security camera. I’ve had neighbour wars because he objects to my rear garden (all within permitted development) because I didn’t consult him on my plans first and “he’s been living here for 30 years”. No one wins, all you can do is always be the polite one, never rise to anything and hope he’s not so much of a jerk that he’ll actually key it or slash your tyres. A camera helps deter someone who’s not a hardened idiot.

When I have to get away early, the last thing I do is start the engine. Get my coffee in its holder, set the sat nav, tunes on, belt up, get set and then start her and move off slowly but promptly. Owning a porsche alone is enough to trigger some people. It’ll be the leaving it idling that’s got his goat - just sitting there making a noise, for no good reason (in his mind). I don’t subscribe to the “moving you car when it’s cold means the engine falls out” way of thinking, there’s loads of places with considerably colder climates than England and you will be using the right oil for our climate and just taking it easy until the oil is up to temp, or idle around the corner. It’s not going to be the difference between an engine failing at 175k miles and 50k.

• Like 4