Boxster/Cayman 981s or 987.2 next step, Life after Z

GranTurismoEra

• GranTurismoEra changed the title to Boxster/Cayman 981s or SLK55 next step, Life after Z
On 23/03/2023 at 17:49, GranTurismoEra said:

Funny thing is the slk 55 2nd gen r171 was causing issues with Caymans on the track up to 5 years ago. Handling is debatable from the track videos ive seen they seem decent and controllable. They do however have issues. 

This one has some mods tho

Nice going but it sounds like my mates 78' F100 pickup 🤣

Edited by davey_83

3 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

They sound better than that IRL. Don't forget you can never judge a YouTube video Vs real life aural pleasure.

I've heard Merc V8's in the flesh and the tone is the same, likewise with Audi B6/7 V8 all sound like yank trucks imo. 

17 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I've heard Merc V8's in the flesh and the tone is the same, likewise with Audi B6/7 V8 all sound like yank trucks imo. 

But the idea to put a V8 in a small car like an SLK was a brave move. It probably didnt make them money but got people thinking that small roadsters dont have to be confined to small engines

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

But the idea to put a V8 in a small car like an SLK was a brave move. It probably didnt make them money but got people thinking that small roadsters dont have to be confined to small engines

100% agreed, was a wild move similar to a V6 in the back of a Clio as a road car - great moments of bravery in motor industry. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davey_83 said:

100% agreed, was a wild move similar to a V6 in the back of a Clio as a road car - great moments of bravery in motor industry. 

Up till pre pandemic i saw a v6 clio in my area. Back in the day like 10+ years ago... They were £15000. My brother had the 182 cup. He was fast beating GTis. Then my uncle came to the house and said we saw a Clio that would eat yours. The V6!

To the sounds of "yeah yeah"😂

Edited by GranTurismoEra

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Up till pre pandemic i saw a v6 clio in my area. Back in the day like 10+ years ago... They were £15000. My brother had the 182 cup. He was fast beating GTis. Then my uncle came to the house and said we saw a Clio that would eat yours. The V6!

To the sounds of "yeah yeah"😂

How dare your uncle pass comment on the vehicles performance having never driven one!!!!!! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, davey_83 said:

How dare your uncle pass comment on the vehicles performance having never driven one!!!!!! 

That's the thing isn't it, no one bats an eyelid at when anyone posts a few comments on a thread about a car they've never driven - it's just chipping in to the discourse.

It's only when there's a few comments...

plus 17 argumentative quote replies...

to anyone who deigns to have different opinion...

and then you end up posting about it on other threads later...

that you look like you've had a temper tantrum and a big sulk 😢

• Haha 2

For those interested. R8 V8 vs Cayman S 981 lap times. As you can see the faster straight line speed goes to the R8. Then the more winding tracks the Cayman is on the R8 tail 😎. But the Torque from the V8 proves a lot. The Cayman has a near 235kg weight loss on the R8. So some winding tracks the Cayman S is capable. So the GTS could be a bit closer with a proper driver and PDK 

Lap Times

Track R8 4.2 FSI Quattro Porsche Cayman S
Laguna Seca (post 1988) 1:40.75 1:41.26
Ring Knutstrop (Conf 2) 1:13.50 1:12.70
Mireval 1:36.60 1:35.93
Motortrend Figure-8 0:24.30 0:24.10
Madras Motor Race Track 1:54.40 1:58.70
Autozeitung test track 1:39.40 1:40.40
Hockenheim Short 1:12.70 1:12.80
Contidrom (3.3 km) 1:33.46 1:34.23
Willow Springs - Streets of Willow Extended 1:26.92 1:27.00
Tsukuba 1:03.88 1:06.01
  • Like 1

On the drag strip with a "proper driver" and PDK the Cayman S is a Cheetah and pips the R8 for the quarter mile. Conditions, Tyres and Wind direction dependant obviously 😎. The V8 comes into its own post 120 mph all the way to a higher top speed. Nothing to prove post 400 metres anyway 🤧. Good comparison from https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/3rlfvjo8c4mo

Acceleration

Speed & distance R8 4.2 FSI Quattro Porsche Cayman S
0 - 40 kph 1.3 s 1.3 s
0 - 50 kph 1.8 s 1.7 s
0 - 60 kph 2.5 s 2.3 s
0 - 80 kph 3.4 s 3.4 s
0 - 100 kph 4.3 s 4.4 s
0 - 120 kph 6.3 s 6.3 s
0 - 130 kph 7.2 s 7.0 s
0 - 140 kph 8.1 s 8.3 s
0 - 160 kph 10.5 s 10.3 s
0 - 180 kph 13.0 s 13.4 s
0 - 200 kph 14.9 s 15.9 s
0 - 60 mph 3.9 s 3.9 s
0 - 100 mph 9.9 s 10.0 s
0 - 130 mph 18.0 s 18.4 s
Est. 1/8 mile 9.0 s @ 94.4 mph 9.0 s @ 95.1 mph
1/4 mile 12.5 s 12.4 s @ 112.1 mph

• Like 1

• GranTurismoEra changed the title to Boxster/Cayman 981s or 987.2 next step, Life after Z

😂 Maybe he meant in fully automatic where the ECU would change gears not the actual rev limit. Im not sure if Porsche have a fully manual mode? 

Apparently the Sport Plus mode shifts at the limit of the rev range. Where the sport mode would shift slightly earlier?

Normal mode, ecu shifts gears where economy is the aim but taking into account how aggressively you pressed the fun pedal. On my Cayman s, I'd estimate 0-60 to be about 6 seconds in this mode.

Sports mode, speed is priority. Changes gears at higher rpm. Also opens exhaust valve at 3500rpm if fitted. Not sure if it goes all the way up to max revs, but I've only experienced/noticed it changing at ~7000rpm.

Sports plus mode, you have to change the gears, and it will let you into redline.

• Like 1

Keep your foot buried past lockdown in normal mode and it’ll still shift at the redline. Also Sports Plus will still change gears automatically for you, only if you push the stick to the left and put it in manual mode will it not change up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Keep your foot buried past lockdown in normal mode and it’ll still shift at the redline. Also Sports Plus will still change gears automatically for you, only if you push the stick to the left and put it in manual mode will it not change up. 

Maybe I wasn't pushing it enough for it to change. Sports plus is apparently only really for track driving.

If you’re in Sports Plus, it holds the high revs really aggressively, when I first did it, I was shocked, I thought it must be broken :lol: I’d only driven a paddle shift on a Camaro before and it kept refusing me shifts it didn’t fancy the look of!

Now I can’t imagine not being in manual mode at the same time as SP. If I’m in that kind of mood, then I’m fully committed and what the whole drive to be up to me. 

• Like 1

Yeah thats where its been simplified in the Z. If I floor it the ECU will shift at high revs near the red line or at the redline depending on the throttle position. 

In manual mode it will not shift up. It will shift down if in a gear too high

So Sport Plus is basically the ECUs most effective performance so no chance of a miss shift or hitting the limiter at full throttle 

• Like 2