Best Fuel

Umster

Don't get me wrong, I was bought into the Shell marketing but I think around 2017 the price difference between the 95 and 98/99 became silly. Tesco 99 for 15p a litre cheaper inevitably got me away from Shell. Spoke to a few tuners and they said you'd be surprised at how much power you get from Tesco and well I've never looked back. 

Was a good video to see the numbers out in the open and to hear a tuners opinion on the consistency. 

Hopefully this videos saves someone a few quid in these crazy fuel price times. 

• Like 1

My problem is I don't like to mix fuel brands, so I always try to run it down to fuel light and then get fuel IF I'm looking to change brands. Now of late the Tesco near me, is hit and miss whether it has momentum or not arghhhh.

22 hours ago, davey_83 said:

My problem is I don't like to mix fuel brands, so I always try to run it down to fuel light and then get fuel IF I'm looking to change brands. Now of late the Tesco near me, is hit and miss whether it has momentum or not arghhhh.

We all have our crosses to bear. :lol:

• Haha 6

33 minutes ago, Ekona said:

So there’s a 1% difference between the Tesco and the BP? Well within scientific margin of error. 

As I’ve said before, as long as it meets the EN spec for super unleaded, it makes bugger all difference what you put in. 

Incomplete, while the top end power is single digits in terms of gains the tuner said through the rev range gains would be nearer 15hp.

Screenshot_20230211-075823.png.9deb72566f5c645a4cc8f4741507f8e9.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

About as much as a plenum spacer or HFC or headers or an exhaust or a remap then by which I expect you to Woooooo those threads also. 

Tesco-Logo-1024x468.jpg.5224562991e0584b07391658c5a16950.jpg

You’re right, chasing tiny horsepower is pointless, hence why I always say do tyres and brakes first as I’m sure you know. 

My point was more it makes chuff all difference which fuel you use, as long as it’s EN rated. Which you’ve also proven for me 👍

I've not proven your point at all, as your claim fuel brands makes chuff all difference is false. 

You were the one who choose to focus on the small amount of top end power gains (negative) of Tesco to BP, not me. Out of that entire video you could have focused on the mid range gains (positive) which are circa x3 as much as the pointless top end difference. Midrange gains improves the way a car drives more so than top end differences.

This thread isn't about tyres and suspension, it's about fuel and of the shelf as shown in the test above Tesco is proven to be better than BP and it's noticeably cheaper too. 

You know a battery does have two terminals, you don't always have to choose the negative 🙂

• Haha 2

Interesting watch. I remember the 5th Gear video all that time ago too. We do still have variables in there that cannot be accounted for i.e. tuned car vs standard car, turbo vs NA, even what order the fuels were used in (even with tank draining the car will be warmed up by the time the 3rd/4th fuel is in the car), so on and so forth. Would be interesting to repeat the test same car different order. Likelihood is we will see varying results in top end BHP wins possibly as the differences are so small. Also he said it was a 460bhp car that he detuned for the test to make it more stable but it easily made 460bhp on the fuels except the 95, I wonder what the detune was?

I didnt see the power delivery graphs in detail, I think those would have been useful to see, the guy just throws a number out there but I doubt its 15bhp consistently and probably only momentarily. 

Would in real world driving you noticed these differences? Hard to say. Strange given how much stick Tesco has had over the years where people think that its rubbish quality fuel (even though it all comes from the same place as everyone else's!) the tuner recommends it. I must admit I am lazy I have a Shell literally 1 min away and use that, the Tesco is about 7-8 mins depending on traffic, I got my backside over to it this morning and the price difference is pretty big now.  

7 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I've not proven your point at all, as your claim fuel brands makes chuff all difference is false. 

You were the one who choose to focus on the small amount of top end power gains (negative) of Tesco to BP, not me. Out of that entire video you could have focused on the mid range gains (positive) which are circa x3 as much as the pointless top end difference. Midrange gains improves the way a car drives more so than top end differences.

This thread isn't about tyres and suspension, it's about fuel and of the shelf as shown in the test above Tesco is proven to be better than BP and it's noticeably cheaper too. 

You know a battery does have two terminals, you don't always have to choose the negative 🙂

How have I been negative? My point was that there’s nothing to choose from between anything rated as SUL, which from any way you look at it is proven by the results as we’re talking single digit percentage points across one test, hardly conclusive that any fuel is better than another. Yes it’s interesting, but nothing more. Certainly there’s nothing in there to make anyone drive out of their way to buy anything other than whichever one is closest/cheapest, even if they were going for ultimate power. Way too many variables to still consider. 

Carry the same test out on multiple cars, taking fuel from various locations at varying levels on freshness, across multiple dynos (including engine ones) and I’d be happy to change my viewpoint. 

It’s not about being negative, it’s about being reasonable and open minded. You appear to have latched onto one thing and believe that as gospel regardless. I’m saying look at it a bit deeper than a headline, and you’ll learn a lot more. :)