Downsides to buying an import?

AssaTM

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first 350Z fairly soon and I've noticed quite a few imports have been popping up - is there any major downside to purchasing one of these in regards to repairs/upgrades? Are the parts that different or is it all relatively interchangeable? Or is it just worth staying clear? Thank you :)

Not any more, think the old days of expensive insurance or not being able to read OBD (although it is still trickier) are behind us. Parts are interchangeable so no worries there, but I would make sure you’re paying less for an import than a UK car like for like :) 

99% of parts will be the same so shouldn't have any problems there. 

Being an import can change insurance prices so might be worth checking that. 

Also UK spec cars tend to be better specced (leather seats, cruise control, brembo brakes, rays alloys etc). 

I have had my import 12 years, parts are interchangeable if you dont get all the extras you want, I have also created guides on here for how to read codes and sensors etc. With the usual Bluetooth readers and an android app and also changing the triple gauge for a UK spec if it hasn't already been done, which adds clock and consumption in MPG rather than KML and as said before better rear bumper

Thank you everyone for the advice, it is greatly appreciated! I feel ready to pull the trigger, other than the obvious with engine performance on a test drive, is it just the rust around the arches that you recommend when viewing the car? Or are there other telltale signs I should know about? :) Thank you!

And if there happened to be a 350 in a really good condition but rust was the issue, what kind of price is it generally to get the arches/underside repaired? No matter how scary the number is it's always good to know for future reference 😅

That is a brilliant bit of advice, thank you! It's a part of why I feel slightly more comfortable buying an older vehicle from a dealer preferably, at least getting my money back for any potential issues spotted post buying is a little easier - in theory at least!