Exhaust Rattle

Tomato

The evils of a car that rattles 🤣

Sort out rattle one which was a clip missing in the boot causing an echo!

Now on to rattle two which think is the exhaust. When the car is stationary makes no or maybe a slight rattle (had camera under it but cannot see anything obvious).

When driving, particularly when coming off the throttle it rattles, hard to tell where.

Does seem to rattle a tad on bumps, but not noticable particularly when accerating either soft or hard. However, does not rattle if rev stationary maybe a little but nothing like coming off the throttle.

Probably need to book it somewhere with a ramp to get a proper look, but does it sound like exhaust simply hitting underside of the car.

Exhaust and cat are only 9 months old now.

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

I doubt it's the exhaust at all if you barely hear a rattle when revving at stand still. I would say interior trim due to exhaust resonance.

Yes, interior trim rattles are quite often the problem, more so in winter when the plastics harden.  But Tomato said:

"When the car is stationary makes no or maybe a slight rattle" which seems unlikely to be trim related.

Thanks guys, there was a interior rattle which I fixed as there was a clip missing which sorted out another rattle which helped to isolate the other issue.

Going over bumps and being a roadster the whole car shakes, not much I can do about that 😀

Definitely outside of the car and mainly happens off throttle and noise level varies, when car cold more noticable than when warmed up.

I think will just need to get on a ramp and start wiggling stuff and look for any evidence the exhaust is hitting something. 

Really hoping it something just needs adjusting, nothing worth than a nice sounding exhaust and a rattle when coming off the power, assuming other outside can hear it, certainly amplified sitting inside.

Edited by Tomato

When you are checking the exhaust heat shield, check the rear exhaust box for a loose baffle.

I had one in the shop last week with the similar rattle and it was a loose baffle in the rear box.

The owner had previously been to half a dozen garages without success.

As  a temporary measure I simply "reshaped" the box until a new exhaust is sourced.

Also check the aluminium shield along the floor pan tunnel at the fuel tank.

Should be very easy to trace once on the ramp.