R8 would you?

Tomato

On 28/11/2022 at 08:16, Jack94 said:

I'm now leaning towards the mustang just because the potential running costs of an R8 scare me. 

A mate of mine just two weeks ago bought a 70 plate Bullitt Mustang with just 3k miles on the clock - a completely left of field purchase considering he's a BMW man.

He absolutely loves it, no regrets.

• Like 1

You guys are bad influences, I am typically an impulse buyer, which is not good when it comes to cars 🤣

I am in camp these fun petrol cars are going to be cheaper over the next 2 years, no different to any other ression these type of cars will take a pounding price rise, but totally agree when we come out the other end, prices will increase quickly as they won't be made anymore.

There no denining electric cars are getting silly quick, but boy, they lack soul.

Decisions decisions, need to more homework, already getting ear ache it only got 2 seats 🤣 Apparently not allowed 2 cars with 2 seats.

Suprised how many arefor sale on autotrader, feels like a buyers market atm 😁

• Haha 1

Short term big maybe...Long term No....Used cars will go up due to continued delays in manufacturing of new cars. I dont even think Toyota the number 1 manufacturer are hitting their usual 10.5 million cars per annum atm...its reduced by 1 million. Increased demand for used cars equals higher costs. 

That trend will continue up to and beyond 2030. So you're probably in the wrong camp. Prices will be at their peak in the next 5-10 years. To the point of unattainable. 

There are collectors, sunday drivers and people out there that would still want them. It only takes Car Wow or someone to review it again for the sheep to start buying. Driving prices back up. 

Just because Genghis Khan is going to expand ULEZ, increase VED, add noise cameras and toll roads rendering driving expensive along with other city mayors doesn't mean these cars wont be sort after. Keep that in mind. Only takes a day for a few to come off sale. 

EV are going to be hit by road tax VED or road tolls. Eventually congestion charge post 2025. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

On 02/12/2022 at 07:21, Tomato said:

There no denining electric cars are getting silly quick, but boy, they lack soul.

Exactly what I think of them - marvels of the emerging technology and some are good looking as well, but completely devoid of any soul.

Tesla have gone one step further - not only soulless but so, so, dull to look at.   

• Like 2

One thing I've learned with cars, if you've got half a chance to step into a great car. Do it. 

Every time I waited in the hope that prices dropped, I've failed. Every time I've thought maintenance costs would put me off, I've ended up spending money on the current car anyway. 

If you're lucky enough to work from home, there really is no better time to step into a silly car. 

• Like 2

On 03/12/2022 at 14:18, Loadmaster said:

Exactly what I think of them - marvels of the emerging technology and some are good looking as well, but completely devoid of any soul.

Tesla have gone one step further - not only soulless but so, so, dull to look at.   

True....Porsche, Alpine Lotus, Nissan and co and coming with Boxster and Cayman EVs. Eventually the 911 will be Petrol Hybrid then Electric. If people want to keep ICE only way forward is Ethanol and other synthetic fuels that burn cleaner than Petrol/Diesel.

Working from home or hybrid where the commute is by public transport can get away with it.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

On 27/11/2022 at 18:41, pintopete58 said:

Who's the guy that sold his 2010 white convertable a very detailed car to Steve I've got the seats out of it .

From Middlesbrough he bought a black one I think if you go to zeds forsale you will find him

That would be me Pete.

Ive still got the R8 and I have to say that despite all the scaremongering about running costs it is definitely as described - a supercar you can drive every day (if you want to). I’ve had mine 2 1/2years now and it doesn’t cost any more than my Zed did. Tax is the same, insurance about the same (if not a bit less 😳, but I am old ha ha). Servicing is not too bad, I use independent garage as Audi are feckin useless and charge R8 tax! 

Would I recommend one - definitely. I know mine is a Gen 2 V10 and the guy is looking at possibly a V8. The dampers can be replaced at quite a reasonable cost nowadays, there’s a guy on the forums (in Europe) who can provide them on a swap or buy basis. The big issue with the V8 is the aircon motor - this is an engine out job! Make sure it’s working. On the V10 it can be sorted in situ (difficult but doable). The Perfomance of the V8 isn’t great by modern day standards, but the handling is sublime, and the manual ones are becoming quite sought after.

@tomato I see you’re in West Yorkshire, not too far from me (North Yorkshire), you’re more than welcome to come and have a go in mine

• Like 2

I tried loads of stuff including the R8 when I nearly sold me Z.

I ended up just supercharging and modding, if I had deeper pockets I'd probably have gone with a V10 one.

I can't honestly say there's anything wrong with anything anyone has mentioned, all great cars, I looked at Lotus Evora and Exige but the Exige felt a bit too track focused and almost flimsy.

I guess at the end of the day, it  just depends what you like as long as you get out, walk away, turn back and smile, it doesn't matter what the badge is on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Ekona said:

£6.50/l for PSF 🤣

It'll get cheaper as production efficiency is increased. I don't see how electric cars will take over the world. The 3rd world can't afford it. Not even everyone in the UK can afford a fully electric car. Also we don't have the raw materials for everyone to have an electric car.

Third world will move to cheap electric mopeds from China especially if their governments start championing cleaner cities. China will just get the contracts for supply and demand. Imitation scooters as happened when the governor of Lagos tried to ban polluting mopeds. People were bringing in chinese mopeds the following day. Those that could afford it. Pollution will always be a topic thats unavoidable.

Saying that in South Africa, Ghana and similar places have had an uptake in EVs with charging stations going up. Synthetic fuels will come down if Porsche are interested in getting other manufacturers involved as well as govt to allow it to be sold commercially.....if not forget it.... 

Why cant we just use E85 and be done with it. Brazil have been using E25/E100 type fuel for years. Its not as expensive adaptation to convert current cars to run that compared to converting to EV. But new cars can be made to take it. Instead of pushing for all out Electric.

They can look at Brazil who since 1976 have been running Ethanol in all ICE cars. E25 up till 2003 and recently introducing E100...Helps that they produce Corn and Sugar cane (yummy) locally. Whereas it will be expensive for UK as its seasonal + import. With Brexit makes it more expensive.....

Alternative fuels might not be economically viable especially with Brexit and our sunny weather not allowing anything to grow outside for 5 months......

Edited by GranTurismoEra

20 hours ago, Tomato said:

I would probably prefer the RS7 performance over the RS5 😀 

hmm whats that V8 Twin Turbo?! Thats a big boy up there with E63 and M5 comp? 

I can see the appeal of the R8 over those being sports compact and trackable...

Thing thats good is if it came with this type of extendable warranty and 37k repair cover limit. That gives a bit of confidence. Peace of mind. I cant imagine the cover being cheap. Its attainable and definitely opens eyes the R8.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202212052280147?atmobcid=soc3

1 hour ago, GranTurismoEra said:

hmm whats that V8 Twin Turbo?! Thats a big boy up there with E63 and M5 comp? 

Yes, 605 bhp in the RS7 performance. I do need a 4 seater really, well the other half tells me I cannot have 2 2 seater cars 🤣

So would mean losing the the 350, but thats like getting rid of one of your children 🤔 

I do like big coupe/saloon cars. Decisions decisions. 

I am suprised you can still get a decent warranty on a 14 year old car? Wonder who they extended it with?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomato said:

Yes, 605 bhp in the RS7 performance. I do need a 4 seater really, well the other half tells me I cannot have 2 2 seater cars 🤣

So would mean losing the the 350, but thats like getting rid of one of your children 🤔 

I do like big coupe/saloon cars. Decisions decisions. 

I am suprised you can still get a decent warranty on a 14 year old car? Wonder who they extended it with?

EMAC ..Car Service Plan and Warranty company. Well this isnt just any car. Its good PR if people are still driving 9 year old Audi Sports cars. 

Ngl a 2017 V10 or v10 plus is the dream lol....maybe when i sell up here in London and have at least 70 suitcases in the bank! Back to reality I think 350 can go and just pick up a regular A7 S line on the side?!

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomato said:

I'm still torn between an R8 and mustang so been doing a lot of research lately.

You can buy warranty from Audi as long as the car has less than 100,000 miles, it starts from around £1350/year (£250 excess) for a first gen R8. You can pay more to have more parts covered and/or lower excess. 

9 hours ago, Jack94 said:

You can buy warranty from Audi as long as the car has less than 100,000 miles, it starts from around £1350/year (£250 excess) for a first gen R8. You can pay more to have more parts covered and/or lower excess. 

Will have to look into that, that could be the tipping point, plenty out there with low mileage.

Quiet a different mustang vs R8? The V8s Mustangs do sound great 😁

9 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Back to reality I think 350 can go and just pick up a regular A7 S line on the side?!

I do love driving the 350 though, it at the right level for me where I can drive it hard and dont think it is actually going to kill me 🤣

• Like 1