R8 would you?

Tomato

Anyone got much experience of an R8, toying with the idea of maybe taking the plunge, would probably go for the V8 variant as within price range, but wondering on servicing cost, I know brake disk hurt the wallet, but hear they are at the lower end of running a car like this. Can they also clear bumps and get up a steep drive?

I have seen the dimensions which suggest ground clearance the same as a 350z, this would be handy as I have a steep drive to get on to?

Have driven both the v10 and v8 on those experience days, did prefer power of the V10, but V8 felt better to drive.

• Like 3

Just make sure you have a second mortgage for suspension maintenance. You may want to Google it…you are talking several thousand pounds and that’s low end estimate..

Edited by Payco

1 hour ago, DoogyRev said:

doesn't @Keyser have an R8?

Had the one before the facelift. Brakes would be in line with Supercar possibly around £2500. More expensive than GTR brakes.

Id expect service to be around £1000-£1600. Tires well it is what it is.

Im assuming this has mag ride and pre s tronic gearbox or gated manual.

I would if i had expendable income just for the experience. I would budget £6000-£8000 per 10,000 miles. Thats if nothing major goes wrong. Service, Tires, Brakes and some fuel maybe. Maybe can take out a warranty that covers the common and major issues instead of being left out on small print. Then again is it worth the paper.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I’ve been toying with the idea of an R8 V8 manual to relieve my mid engine scratch due to the Audi build quality and reliability.
I gave myself a talking after research.

The last cars are coming up to 10 years old and as Payco posted earlier the suspension/brakes will cost a fortune to replace. Also clutch wear is horrendous on the manual cars and is obviously an engine out job(5k+). To frighten any potential owner even more it’s an engine out if the air con pump fails which incidentally was moved to a different position for the V10 model.

Still hankering after hearing one on full chat wearing a Capristo system….

• Like 1

I'm in a similar boat, looking to spend around £40k on something to replace the zed. My main criteria are V8 and manual, after a lot of research I narrowed it down to either an R8 or a mustang. 

I'm now leaning towards the mustang just because the potential running costs of an R8 scare me. 

Maybe because it's a super car, but all parts seem to have an extra £0 added onto the price tag, and at nearly 15 years old parts are bound to need replacing every now and again. As others have said, they do also have a few very expensive common issues. 

I don't know much about the running costs of other supercars, so maybe the R8 is very reasonable in comparison, but I think it's certainly FAR more than a typical sports car, which I suppose goes with the territory. 

Oh no, you’ve started the “is the R8 a supercar?” conversation :lol:

You can get a set of passive dampers for £1K-£2K depending on what you want to spend, so they’re not silly money. Discs and pads can be had for much less than what’s been mentioned too, it just depends on whether you’re going OEM or are happy with aftermarket. 

I came very close to buying one before getting a 911, but ultimately there’s a reason so many people default to a Porker…

• Like 1

My Audi R8 V10 cost no more to run than the R35s that I have owned in the past. including my current R35 GT-R.

Both are performance cars, however I would not term them as "supercars".

If you are uncomfortable or concerned about running and maintenance costs then perhaps the R8 may not be for you.

If you want Supercar performance you need to pay Supercar running costs, if an R8 scares you then dont look at Ferrari or Lambo costs :lol:

Everyone Ive know who has owned/driven both has said to go for the V8 but its still going to be a few quid to keep on the road.

If you want similar performance with more realistic costs the yanks are a decent bet, Ive got a 2014 Z28 which doesnt seem to be too bad (other than tyres and fuel, obviously) :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys, have been doing some research on running costs, buying these cars is always the easy part as you know that part is fixed.

Interesting the comment r8 vs gtr cost being the similar, but yeah the age and magride setup if faulty can be eye watering.

Not concerned with thefuel bill, run a V8 now that drinks more than the R8  on paper or the regular maintenance stuff, even the expensive clutch and brake disc costs you can assume you need every two years etc but  it is those suprise bills that are the pain in the arse that bite.

Will keep getting info and number crunching.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ekona said:

Put it another way, if you don’t do it now then when? Give it three years and these cars will be totally unavailable. 

You really think so?

Cost of living increases, interest rates on the rise, proliferation of electric vehicles with more performance than an R8 and ultimately ice cars likely to be taxed even more to pay for covid/Brexit/Ukraine invasion.

I dunno, I see it going the other way....just my opinion.

Well, we’ve had the brunt of that already and the cost of ICE performance stuff is still going up, so you make your own call ;) 

Honestly, I don’t believe there’s a cat in hell’s chance of fun stuff dropping below what it is now. Much more likely to go the other way, and if costs keep increasing then it just puts them even more out of reach. 

Mate, I’m as diehard a petrol head as you’ll find but even I can see that electric cars are the future now. Whilst I have no desire to own one as a fun car, like it or not they’ll be your only choice before you know it. 

• Like 1