Auto vs Manual

ingo bingo

Hi all, looking to buy my First Z, it will be a second car.

I have seen a few and wondered how the automatic is in comparison to the manual. I currently have an auto in my current vehicle, but at 2018 its a 9 speed. So will be quite different i imagine?

Cheers

What you using it for? If it's purely for pleasure, I'd go manual every time on the 350 - it's a nice engaging transmission when it's properly lubricated. If you are going daily and planning to sit in traffic frequently, you'll have a left calf that can break walnuts after a month and an auto might be sensible, if a bit less thrilling.

Unless theres a reason you can drive stick Id say manual all the way in pretty much anything pre-2016 from a Fiesta to a Ferrari.
Auto boxes from that era (including flappy paddle SMGs and DCTs) just feel old, loose and slow these days, a nice example is that you can pick up an F1 gearbox Ferrari 599 for about £80K, if you want a manual they are closer to £400K - although the F1 box was a technical marvel back in the day it ruins the car now. 

This is an extreme example but its the same for SMG M3, M5's, Caymans, drivers cars need 3 pedals and older autos dont cut the mustard when compared to todays offerings.  

Go for a manual if you can, but the auto box changes ok but it doesn't make for a sporty drive. We bought one a few years ago and it was a nice thing to drive around town but they change slow and make for a far less engaging drive.

The Z was made with the manual in mind, so go manual. There are other cars where they focused on the auto, and for those I'd suggest you go auto. 

Ultimately though it depends on what you want? Comfort and ease - auto. Weekend fun and engagement - manual. 

4 hours ago, Umster said:

The Z was made with the manual in mind, so go manual. There are other cars where they focused on the auto, and for those I'd suggest you go auto. 

Ultimately though it depends on what you want? Comfort and ease - auto. Weekend fun and engagement - manual. 

I echo this as well. I have a F82 M4 with the DCT as my daily and the engine feels like it was made to partner the DCT I reckon. Whereas my weekend/occasional 370Z Roadster is a manual though, and I like that I have 3 pedals in that for sure

30 minutes ago, Lee370Z said:

I echo this as well. I have a F82 M4 with the DCT as my daily and the engine feels like it was made to partner the DCT I reckon. Whereas my weekend/occasional 370Z Roadster is a manual though, and I like that I have 3 pedals in that for sure

This. E9x M3 and F8x M3 owner. Easily see how better the drive is with a DCT. Manual is nice but ruins the drive, the performance, the ability to drift. 

17 hours ago, Umster said:

Manual is nice but ruins the drive, the performance, the ability to drift. 

Did you get that the right way round? No drifter would ever choose auto over manual, ever, and any decent trackday driver would be the same, you have much more control with a gearstick and 3 pedals. Drive might be smoother and even faster with DCT but its not the option for the track. 

Manual track focused cars like M2's, GT3's and GT4s all hold value better than the DCT versions, thats got to tell you something?   

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, you can drift an auto, I have a good friend with no legs who doesnt have a lot of choice and still manages to be better than I ever was :lol:

For most of us its like running 100m in high heels, its possible but why would you want to when there are obviously far better options?

Lol...Autos faster my next car will probably be DSG by the time you're doing gear 1 to 2 clutch in and out....my slushbox has me at 70mph. In auto mode it shifts smooth. In manual mode its aggressive, jerky and laggy depending. 

If you want to keep pace with average hot hatches and coupes. Auto no matter what ppl say is faster than manual. Sure your about 0.7 second off real performance ZF and DSG boxes compared with manual theres no chance lol

Even the dct in the E92 is not as smooth as they make out despite being DCT. Its an aggressive box made for a sporty drive. 

Funny thing about the 9 speed slushbox its in the new Z and the Nissan Frontier in US. Its more of a GT than a performance box 

I love manual had it a decade...they tend to be more engaging and weight saving but having the auto is nice in London also the 7th gear makes a difference in economy for long distance drives. I dont have to worry about having to downshift again because the guy in front cant do 30mph. Each to their own. I had the manual nismo it was ok until you came up behind Daisy...Or hit traffic. Manual was amazing during Lockdown on empty roads in the country.

Depends on use tbh...i tried drifting the nismo that was easy...with the auto in manual mode plus the camber on the GT being different i think it was more of a challenge. 

Welkom along, it's a buyer's market definitely have a drive of both and see which one suits. The VQ manual you can almost drive like an auto anyways due to the low down torque, even round town at slow speeds leave it in third and it's no bother.  

No one buys an 350z or 370z for outright speed or performance, it's for the way they look, sound, handle and the overall engaging drive (price, rareness, reliability also huge factors) manual gearbox only adds to the experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ekona said:

You say that like it’s a good thing. 

For me in the city it is. I have a very famous saying. "Each to their own".

Manual in Track toys, weekend cars, driven every few days sure. Daily hell nah. Hard pass.

Ive been "engaged" for a decade. The left foot now rests on top of the foot rest CEO style. 

When a manual driver tailgates you, its not because theyre annoyed at you taking your time. Its the literal pain in their left ankle and cramp on the shin from downshifting for the 100th time like a Hollywood movie. 

Manuals are fun at 9am on a sundays drive in Windsor country, when Daisy is at home. 

5 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

For me in the city it is. I have a very famous saying. "Each to their own".

Manual in Track toys, weekend cars, driven every few days sure. Daily hell nah. Hard pass.

Ive been "engaged" for a decade. The left foot now rests on top of the foot rest CEO style. 

When a manual driver tailgates you, its not because theyre annoyed at you taking your time. Its the literal pain in their left ankle and cramp on the shin from downshifting for the 100th time like a Hollywood movie. 

Manuals are fun at 9am on a sundays drive in Windsor country, when Daisy is at home. 

That’s kinda my point. In an auto you get what, 3-4 secs of engagement before you’re in ban territory, whereas with a manual you’ll maybe double that. Faster does not always equal better. 

I don’t dispute for one second in stop start traffic an auto is the clear winner.