Help - Private registration/number plate - How to??

veeg33

Being treated with a private number plate for the first time but not sure what to do after I've swapped them to my car......I'm sure many of you have private plate on your car and has swapped them many times hence I'm hoping you could shade some light here.

The gift comes with service from the company to transfer it to my vehicle, so I just need to send them my documents and they'll sort it out and send me new number plates.

Do I automatically retain the current number plate that is on the vehicle? ie if I sell the vehicle, I can apply to swap it back to the car?

Assuming I'm still hunting for replacement car, do I need to do anything with my private number plate? or can I just wait until I found a replacement and do the swap?

Everything is done online via DVLA website?

Any do's and don'ts will be much appreciated

Many thanks

Veegee

Edited by veeg33

You should do the transfer on DVLA when listing the vehicle. Dont be one of those owners that does the transfer on the day of sale meaning the new owner cant tax the vehicle until DVLA have it on their system. In my case was 7 days. Shits annoying...

Current number plate im not sure as its not made available anywhere so may still belong to the car

Tell your insurance, youre swapping the plates or the insurance is invalid. Tell Gap or whoever it may concern in regards to the change. Check it has transferred on the DVLA Website. You will get sent a new V5 no idea why...waste of paper... First transfer is free then £80 everytime you remove it. 

DVLA will collect £80 admin fee everytime after for removal of the private plate from a car

After 10 years depending on the rules youll have to reapply to retain. Im not sure if they charge for that too

• Thanks 1

When you remove your private plate you put it on retention on the dvla site which is £80 you can keep it on retention for 10 year by the end of 10 years you have to put it on a car or lose it. when you put it on retention they will instruct you to put the original one back on

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pintopete58 said:

When you remove your private plate you put it on retention on the dvla site which is £80 you can keep it on retention for 10 year by the end of 10 years you have to put it on a car or lose it. when you put it on retention they will instruct you to put the original one back on

Usually it’s the original plate but occasionally they assign a different plate after the private plate comes off, my 350z got a completely different plate after I removed my private plate 

Also you can renew the retention certificate after 10 years you don’t automatically lose the plate 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LRF4N said:

Usually it’s the original plate but occasionally they assign a different plate after the private plate comes off, my 350z got a completely different plate after I removed my private plate 

Also you can renew the retention certificate after 10 years you don’t automatically lose the plate 

well, don't think that matters when you are selling the car but will need to buy new plates rather using the old ones. Sounds like DVLA listed them as for sale and someone bought it.

:thumbs:

Edited by veeg33