Isn't it amazing how much power is now drivable in modern cars???

The Bounty Bar Kid

So as most of you know I've got a Porsche Cayman S which has 325bhp standard. Just watching Bad Boys, and the Porsche 964 Turbo that Will Smith drives is not far off my car with regards to performance figures. Yet back then it was like wow!

Anyways, isn't it amazing how much power is now considered normal and is actually drivable. My dad just bought a Ferrari F8 the other day and it's got 720bhp yet he was fine with it, despite not having driven anything with more than 310bhp before.

Isn't modern tech amazing!

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid
  • Like 1

• The Bounty Bar Kid changed the title to Isn't it amazing how much power is now drivable in modern cars???

I know right.

Not just sports cars either.

Imagine if back in '99 you were on a school run and saw dozens of mums dropping off the kids in Mitsubishi Evo 6s.

You'd be like WTF!

How can they possibly go from Ford Mondeo one day to Evo 6 or a WRX STI safely.

I see LOADS of Teslas now on the school run.

But these Teslas are pretty near Evo 6 performance specs.

Maybe there's more hooligans undercover now on the school run:lol:

Edited by HEADPHONES
  • Haha 2

Overlooking the increadibly mysogynistic YouTube viedo :rolleyes:(spoiler, I don't).

Modern cars may well have more power, but the driver has much less responsibility for it. Traction control, ABS, automatic gearboxes, power steering, activie suspension,torque limitors,  torque vectoring, various engine modes, in the case of the Ferrari there's even FDE+. Modern cars do more of the driving than ever before.

Now, a 'MODEL' driving a car... that's amazing!

Video posted by me wasn't meant to be misogynistic, just an example of how normal people are now able to drive incredibly high powered cars with ease. Yes modern electronics make it easy for everyone now. Just a thought about how things have changed.

Driving a car with more power than a F1 car doesn't require an element of skill anymore.

The amount of “crashed exotic” videos and photos would tend to disagree with you. 

Driving a modern supercar with all the gadgetry in the world at sensible speeds is easy, but it’s been designed to be. Driving one with the aids turned off is bastard hard, like it’s been designed to be. 

• Like 1

It may very well be her car. 2000kg and 1500hp at the boot. 

Thats where its all heading. Just need boyracers getting hold of performance EVs and its a wrap.

My bros Tesla has 600+ bhp 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. Plus the doors go up on Sundays. He prefers the little Smart EV though. Easier to manouver and squeeze past people taking a right turn but in the middle of the road.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Yeah, modern cars have nannies and stuff in them, theres also an element that you have to be very confident or mad to have the bollocks to floor something thats 700hp+, fear and self preservation plays a big factor in keeping cars out of the hedges :lol: 
I remember not actually flooring my first 200SX for 6 weeks, took it easy in BMW and Camaro to start with even though In had a lot more experience by then. 

I don wonder about these raffles giving away 600hp cars though ........ but then I guess your average 18 year old will take the cash alternative as insurance is going to be "tasty" on something like that :)

• Like 1

It's less the power and more the torque and instant torque delivery. Sadly means you have to ditch the manual and be sure to keep all the sensors in check. 

One sensor goes, and the car bings and bongs and limps till you fix em. Instant torque is also a game changer and I'm not sure our driving test prepares you for it. 

On 17/10/2022 at 14:00, docwra said:

Yeah, modern cars have nannies and stuff in them, theres also an element that you have to be very confident or mad to have the bollocks to floor something thats 700hp+, fear and self preservation plays a big factor in keeping cars out of the hedges :lol: 
I remember not actually flooring my first 200SX for 6 weeks, took it easy in BMW and Camaro to start with even though In had a lot more experience by then. 

I don wonder about these raffles giving away 600hp cars though ........ but then I guess your average 18 year old will take the cash alternative as insurance is going to be "tasty" on something like that :)

Some offer free 12 months insurance and/or petrol of certain value say £1000+. If they do survive the year.. they could sell it for good money as long as they haven't Tour De England the car and ran up the mileage for Instagram. Cash alternative would be smart to invest in something else. 

The experience would probably be taken for a couple of months by most car enthusiasts then moved on promptly.