Proud new owner of a 2006 Fairlady Z (JDM)!

I've stopped using this account and switched to FairladyLexi to match my socials!

Hi guys,

After getting fed up of my old 2007 Civic Type S and its ever-growing list of failures, I decided it was time to get something a lot better and a lot faster. I love Japanese sports cars and I had my eye on a 2006 Fairlady Z for a couple of weeks. It's been my dream for a while to own a true JDM model, ideally an FR with some serious power.

I finally bit the bullet after Honda told me the Civic's clutch was worn and its horrible i-Shift actuator (it was a semi-automatic) was on the way out. Along with all the corrosion on the suspension, it was the final nail in the coffin. The Fairlady was luckily still available and I went to see her with my boyfriend. We spent a good hour inspecting everything and the condition is incredible for a car of this age. Definitely well looked-after by the Japanese owner. This car was freshly imported this summer.

I've only had a couple of days with the car and we drove from London to Caffeine & Machine near Stratford-upon-Avon to see the Daikoku Nights car meet last night. It's mind-blowing how fast and fun this car is!

Some details about the car:

• Fitted with 19-inch Work Gnosis GF4 wheels
  • Fitted with the Kakimoto Racing Regu.06&R exhaust (sounds amazing!)
  • Nismo spoiler (V1, I think?)
  • Automatic transmission, not sold in the UK - amazingly smooth, responsive and quick (matches the manual in acceleration, if not quicker)
  • Xenon headlights without washers (not required in Japan)
  • Has some mysterious non-standard on/off switches and an on/off button that I will need to ask you guys about
  • Still has the Japan-fitted dash cam and electronic toll collection gadget

There appears to be an underseal applied to the centre of the chassis, but I'm taking her for a Corrolan underseal in a couple of weeks to preserve the fantastic underbody condition. British road salt in the winter is so awful for our cars!

Finally, here are some photos:

261418559_IMG_06351.jpg.0cc825e77b2fba89f91baaad5f7d19cc.jpg931569572_IMG_06371.jpg.d940c8a8d8a701d638395b4435c199d7.jpg525535697_IMG_06391.jpg.0fe727a2b946f8bed1bc2a688c85612a.jpg872980176_IMG_06401.jpg.7b98d8826649bff694bc325d5802e005.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you and hopefully meeting at an event in the near future! We'll be going to JapShow Finale at Santa Pod Raceway on Sunday, so maybe see some of you there?

Lexi

I've stopped using this account and switched to FairladyLexi to match my socials!

Edited by Waifujitsu
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Welcome to the OC :wave:

Looks like you've found a little gem.

NISMO spoiler

Nice rims

And what looks like a fruity exhaust too:thumbs:.

Maybe upload a little sound clip to YouTube and post a link up;)

Thank you! Super happy with the car, and how could I forget the Nismo spoiler!

I'll be sure to record the exhaust sound when I have some time. Lovely tune, sounds incredible and not obnoxiously loud (JASMA 92dB limit certified). I'm chuffed that the Japanese owner fitted these bits as they make the car a lot more special!

• Like 1

Always love some moody carpark shots...

• Has some mysterious non-standard on/off switches and an on/off button that I will need to ask you guys about

Are these to the right of the steering wheel?  These are usually a fog light switch as this is non-standard on the JDM cars, and is one of them a small circle that says Auto?  If so then this is for auto-dip rear mirrors when you put it in reverse.  A fairly rare option if so.

41 minutes ago, marzman said:

Are these to the right of the steering wheel?  These are usually a fog light switch as this is non-standard on the JDM cars, and is one of them a small circle that says Auto?  If so then this is for auto-dip rear mirrors when you put it in reverse.  A fairly rare option if so.

There is the small auto button there to toggle the auto-dipping mirrors, and there is an on/off switch next to the TCS OFF button, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I need to check with the dealer about the fog light as I haven't found a way to turn it on. It must've worked previously because the car passed the MOT test in August!

However, there is also an on/off switch next to the A/T mode switch that has no obviously function, and there's also a white on/off button next to that. They're quite obviously non-standard, but I've not figured out what they do!

I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow to show you.

Edited by Waifujitsu

12 hours ago, marzman said:

Here are those switches!

IMG_0740.jpeg.a5a7034b6969b5cf287e4484a2dc99a1.jpegIMG_0741.jpeg.72ca840ffb0cdf65267a8633681dd499.jpeg

2 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Hi and welcome along buddy. Nice looking car. As for the switches I have no idea sorry.

Thanks! I actually investigated on Saturday when I fitted my new head unit... turns out the switches do nothing! My guess is that the Japanese owner didn't like the blanks and put something in to make it look more complete. Maybe I'll put in an aftermarket ECU and actually make the switches control different maps someday. 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_0765.jpg.ddcd7af009399e02f75c1ae2b652ea37.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2022 at 11:03, HEADPHONES said:

Welcome to the OC :wave:

Looks like you've found a little gem.

NISMO spoiler

Nice rims

And what looks like a fruity exhaust too:thumbs:.

Maybe upload a little sound clip to YouTube and post a link up;)

This is super late, but here's the exhaust sound!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

Had to wait till I got home to listen with headphones for a better effect.

Got a nice deep burble:teeth:

Yeah, I love that burble! Sounds incredible and I've never heard another Z sound this good (in my opinion)! It's presumably quite a rare exhaust over here, it being one from a Japanese company. It's loud without being obnoxious, and it's deep without sounding raspy.