The worst time to get a 350z?

George123

Hello everyone, 

I’m new to the forum! I’ve had my eye on a new car for the last few years. I’ve got a couple in mind, but the one at the top of the list is a 350z - I was never too in love with the styling, but in the last few months they’ve grown on me a loads.

So I’ve been doing a weekly look online, prices vary of course but I’m pretty sure I’d want a 2006- onwards. I know they’re not a cheap car to run, no car like this is. It’s smiles per gallon rather than miles per gallon etc. 

But there’s no denying, the UK and the rest of the world is really not in the best shape economically, things are getting very expensive. Fuel and energy prices have and continue to skyrocket and petrol prices are still much higher than the ‘usual’. My question is am I picking the worst time in the last few years to get a 350?

With running costs of a 350 being relatively high, how are some of you finding the running costs in the recent months? I am hoping to daily the 350, I do about 60 miles a week minimum before all my social driving which varies from week to week.

So yeah, am I finally giving in and properly considering buying a 350z at the worst possible time? I like most have little money to burn at the moment, but I would rather spend what little savings I have on a car I enjoy instead of saving for a house which seems to be becoming more and more out of reach! 😂

I appreciate any and all that get back to me! 

I’m currently daily driving a 2009 1.6 turbo Vauxhall Astra, relatively quickish car but easily can get 45-55 motorway MPG so costs of running are extremely low. 

(Other cars on the list are a Mazda 3 mps or a Mazda RX8 R3)

• Like 1

Technically, assuming 350Z prices lag slightly, the recent GBP/USD crash should benefit you if you buy now. Also, you'll essentially be hedging against inflation and currency fluctuations as the value of a 350Z should increase long-term (3-5 years). I'm no economics expert but that's how I understand it.

For some accurate data I tracked using Fuelio:

Average mileage per month: 484

Average cost per month: £213.38

Average fuel consumption: 24.51 mpg

I travel mostly short distances except when I head into work roughly once a week. I drive how it's supposed to be driven but I don't rag it. Road tax is the killer at £660 a year with insurance coming in at £800 which is reasonable for my age.

Edited by polaris
  • Like 1

The points you raise are very valid however if you flip it over it could be the best time to buy. People will consider selling their assets  to free up cash so Zeds for sale may well increase as many owners have them as their weekend  toy and sadly may need to sell them to generate some cash. You will then be in a position to negotiate a price. Just another angle to consider. 

Martin 

If you pick well, what you spend in fuel and road tax could be recovered in reliability against other makes. (In 6 years mine has only ever needed a cam sensor).

With the way costs are going, and if you really want one, I wonder how attainable they will be in a few years, so maybe now or never?

11 hours ago, polaris said:

Technically, assuming 350Z prices lag slightly, the recent GBP/USD crash should benefit you if you buy now. Also, you'll essentially be hedging against inflation and currency fluctuations as the value of a 350Z should increase long-term (3-5 years). I'm no economics expert but that's how I understand it.

For some accurate data I tracked using Fuelio:

Average mileage per month: 484

Average cost per month: £213.38

Average fuel consumption: 24.51 mpg

I travel mostly short distances except when I head into work roughly once a week. I drive how it's supposed to be driven but I don't rag it. Road tax is the killer at £660 a year with insurance coming in at £800 which is reasonable for my age.

that is some really helpful figures you’ve put together there for me. Thanks a lot for the reply and I appreciate the time taken to use fuelio, it’s not something I’ve used before!

32 minutes ago, Stewal said:

If you pick well, what you spend in fuel and road tax could be recovered in reliability against other makes. (In 6 years mine has only ever needed a cam sensor).

With the way costs are going, and if you really want one, I wonder how attainable they will be in a few years, so maybe now or never?

That’s is a really good point, things are only going to get worse for the foreseeable, how are you finding running costs?

34 minutes ago, Stewal said:

again, a really good point. I guess I’ve struggled to justify the expense for a while,  so now when I’m finally deciding it’s time to buy one, it’s even harder to justify buying one 😂

3 hours ago, Payco said:

The points you raise are very valid however if you flip it over it could be the best time to buy. People will consider selling their assets  to free up cash so Zeds for sale may well increase as many owners have them as their weekend  toy and sadly may need to sell them to generate some cash. You will then be in a position to negotiate a price. Just another angle to consider. 

Martin 

this is true, I’ve been weighing up the possible outcomes from the current climate.  1) car prices will plummet 

2) car prices will plummet but the majority of sellers will keep their prices high to adjust to inflation etc

3) the majority of cars for sale will be from owners who can’t afford to keep running rhem?

of course it is all circumstantial, everyone is in a different boat when it comes to finances etc.

how are you finding the running costs at the moment? 

• Like 1

Oh wow, am I right in thinking the rev-up engine is the middle of the 3? 

From what I’ve read online they’re known to be thirsty with the oil? I’m presuming they fall into a lower tax bracket due to the different engine? That figure is not too far off what I am already paying for my road tax!

2 hours ago, George123 said:

this is true, I’ve been weighing up the possible outcomes from the current climate.  1) car prices will plummet 

2) car prices will plummet but the majority of sellers will keep their prices high to adjust to inflation etc

3) the majority of cars for sale will be from owners who can’t afford to keep running rhem?

of course it is all circumstantial, everyone is in a different boat when it comes to finances etc.

how are you finding the running costs at the moment? 

My history is 350z DE , Nismo 370z and my well documented build on my imported Datsun 510 SSS coupe which I’ve now sold to fund my next project. My running costs for the next six months is shoe leather 😂

Oil consumption on mine is about 1 litre between annual services when in regular use. Or, to put it another way, it goes from Max to Min and then oil is changed. 🙂

I had a replacement engine at 42k miles (hydro-locked due to driving error!) so I guess it would be a late build of that spec. Original engine oil consumption was hardly noticeable.

Edited by SWoMP