Introducing Carla Cayman

The Bounty Bar Kid

19 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

How does it handle? For 40k its good value no doubt. I suppose a twin turbo built Nismo would cost around £45k with similar power. 

if its 1500-1700kg then thats ok at 7:37 handling may be decent with a skilled driver

The car was made specifically by Chevy to go round the 'Ring as quickly as possible, it laps faster than an LFA, Ford GT or LP640. And they didnt set their times in the wet, trust me when I say it goes round corners :lol: 
This one has 150hp over the car that did the 7.37 as well :lol: 

Despite the power the reason I bought it was the chassis, its absolutely sublime and genuinely as good as *anything* Ive driven. The only other street car fitted with spool dampers is the Aston one 77 and ceramic brakes are a £10K option on a GT3 .......... we dont talk about fuel though ;) 
Oh, and its very unlikely to depreciate, this is 1 of 51 produced with no aircon.  

If it was me with the 40K Id still be looking for a 981 (arguably best street car Ive driven, also unlikely to depreciate) but dont rule out the leftfield options without trying them first, for example you could get a nice TVR, F-Type, Exige for £40K ....... 

Edited by docwra
  • Like 3

981 GTS not many and looks the business. I suppose its one of those stranger things car the Chevy. If you dont try it you wouldn't know. I can see how it would do amazing things on the ring with the right setup and chassis. 

Like the GTR in 08 no one was expecting a heavy car like that to give Porsche any trouble. At the time was spanking a lot of competition. You got a point there with certain cars can suprise you

My Z28 was a replacement for an F355 - I certainly considered a 981 GTS/GT4 but thought Id end up driving it to work every day where the Ferrari was very much a special occasions type of thing. 

On paper it ticked the boxes but turned up to see it and wasnt really blown away - its very big, looks heavy and the guy selling took it very easy on the test drive (weird as he'd won a sprint class in the car last season), definitely not Ferrari replacement material. 

Got in to drive myself and decided I was buying it within about 250 yards - chassis, engine, brakes, noises are all incredible, it just gets better the more you use it.  
The fact it cost half what the Fez did for a car with less than 10K miles was the clincher, I cant see myself selling it now :lol: 

4 hours ago, Stutopia said:

Just be patient and stay glued to AT and PH, one will crop up. I personally wouldn't get too precious about Chrono. I seldom use it on the PDK, Sport is plenty fast through the gears and the throttle map and shift points are fine, unless you really want to go for it. When I am in that kind of mood, I want the paddles. A working PSE is a must though, watch for seized valves on the exhaust, I had to replace mine (£1200) as they were totally stuck and I was missing out on the noise - can't think of many better sounding OEM cars when you're giving it the beans.

I don't know if the Alcantara headliner is optional on the S but it's a really nice touch.

Well I've found a great black s with low miles which I'll go look at hopefully this Saturday but they've got a much higher mileage sapphire blue one too. Although I won't get that one, if I fall in love with the blue, I might hold out until I find the perfect one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Well I've found a great black s with low miles which I'll go look at hopefully this Saturday but they've got a much higher mileage sapphire blue one too. Although I won't get that one, if I fall in love with the blue, I might hold out until I find the perfect one.

Sapphire Blue is certainly a lovely colour ... here's my mate's Turbo S

XPT01.jpeg.17498867d021b9997ae9caa068bfc3ad.jpeg

Edited by ATTAK Z
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

If I had that kind of money to spend on a car it would probably be a Nismo. Then with the rest maybe boost it lol 😂 

Unfortunately the condition on the money is to use it to buy a car. Nothing else. Mods would have to come from my own money. If I spend less than 40k, I don't get to keep the difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Will be interested to hear your thoughts about the Cayman.

I'm in a similar situation- got 35k which I'm tempted to spend on a new car and get rid of the zed.  

Ideally I'd like something manual with a V8, which really limits options and keeps bringing me back to mustangs. 

Also been considering an R8 but the maintenance costs scare me a bit. 

4 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Ideally I'd like something manual with a V8, which really limits options and keeps bringing me back to mustangs. 

R8 isnt really that expensive maintenance for a supercar though, I reckon a Cayman would be about the same. 
Unfortunately when you start messing about in Porsches and M cars its generally going to cost more, but short of engine failures its usually worth it - I d definitely get yourself in a manual V8 before you dont have the chance anymore. 

I can still recommend a 645ci if you want a v8 manual, chuck a couple of grand at the suspension and it becomes very much less barge like. Hell you could buy one, mod the crap out of it and still have enough left over for something else fun. 

5 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Quadrifoglio? 

The alfa is a good shout, dont see many on the road, but oddly people dont seem to keep them, dont know if thats because purchased on hp or they just get bored of them?

11 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

R8 doesn't tickle my bits unfortunately. Had a look at them. V10 maybe but not in my budget 

The V8 R8 I personally think is better sweet spot for balance than the V10, just feels more balanced, immediately drove them back to back on a track not road, but they not a typical audi either which is a plus.

Sounds like you just need to go and drive a load of cars 🤣

17 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Will be interested to hear your thoughts about the Cayman.

I'm in a similar situation- got 35k which I'm tempted to spend on a new car and get rid of the zed.  

nout wrong with a V8 Mustang, I was in the same boat wanting something manual and sporty, looked at all sorts, since MOT’s don’t exist in Canada so second hand can be a lottery (well more so than the UK)  I decided on new  vs a 10 or 15 year old 911 or such like. 

8 hours ago, Tomato said:

The V8 R8 I personally think is better sweet spot for balance than the V10, just feels more balanced, immediately drove them back to back on a track not road, but they not a typical audi either which is a plus.

Sounds like you just need to go and drive a load of cars 🤣

I think I'm pretty set on a Porsche, always wanted one and the 981 s is the best I can currently afford. I'm very picky on cars. The new Supra did peak my interest, possibly only car that I might consider for the money. There were others I'd like but not sure if they're a great buy or other factors like servicing costs/tax/ insurance got in the way.

Anyways I need to scratch that Porsche itch whilst I can.