Sub Frame corrosion

Wolf-Council

Can anyone help me? 

i recently bought a 350z, got it up on the ramp to check it over properly and try to identify where a knocking sound was coming from, when going over uneven road/ speed bumps. During the inspection, my mechanic stumbled across some serious corrosion on rear sub frame.

The mechanic helping me has told me it needs replacing urgently, problem is I don’t know what it is exactly?? 

has anyone had this problem or can identify what it is I need to get, please? I’m worried driving it, in case the bottom of the car just collapses! 🤣

Would like to get it ordered and swapped out asap. 

thanks in advance 😬B465D10E-5C0D-49F4-8E23-CA21739BEF0D.jpeg.035c2b52e069cc5625a0eee6be97be57.jpeg

I'm not suggesting that your W brace and kidney brackets aren't corroded as the underside is looking pretty sad but you're buying things here which aren't the issue in question.

But I think its worth taking your car elsewhere for some better info on the issue/s. For 1 the rear subframe on the 350z is made of aluminum (attached photo) and looks good from the small amount of it visible in your photograph and 2 the part your showing circled in the pic that's heavily corroded is part of the underside of the floorpan so would require welding to repair and is not a bolt on part

Just my thoughts on how I'd go about it 

Good luck

image.png.5ec2d11df0efb3e9f89e9bc86fcd5613.png

Edited by 350Butcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 350Butcher said:

I'm not suggesting that your W brace and kidney brackets aren't corroded as the underside is looking pretty sad but you're buying things here which aren't the issue in question.

But I think its worth taking your car elsewhere for some better info on the issue/s. For 1 the rear subframe on the 350z is made of aluminum (attached photo) and looks good from the small amount of it visible in your photograph and 2 the part your showing circled in the pic that's heavily corroded is part of the underside of the floorpan so would require welding to repair and is not a bolt on part

Just my thoughts on how I'd go about it 

Good luck

image.png.5ec2d11df0efb3e9f89e9bc86fcd5613.png

Good shout.

On further viewing of the circled rust part I think that is the panel which runs the width of the car and is between the petrol tank and the body.

Best plan of action is just to remove it as it is a bolt on panel, and not to replace it as it is not a structural part and serves very little meaningful purpose.

i would still also be taking a closer look at the "W" bracing and end brackets as going by the other rusted parts they will probably be corroded as well, unless they have been replaced recently.

04 Nissan 350Z Rear Subframe Brace R9511

• Thanks 1

I spent a good 15 minutes trying to find your part and I think I've got it.

Part Number: 74510-AL500

Name: 350z Nissan OEM board assembly - rear floor

Sellers: TORQEN

Part Schematic: Link

I assumed it would come under rear suspension but it is actually listed under rear body floor.

Edited by polaris
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guys, thank you so much for all the information, really means a lot. Having just bought this car, to get it on the ramp and be told that needs replacing asap, it spooked me a little. I’m going to get the car back on the ramps and inspect all the above suggestions, create a list of what’s “passable” for now and what needs changing urgently. 

i must say, I love the 350z community already. So supportive 👍🏻

• Like 1