Experience with Sports Cats & MOTs

daveo132

Hi all,

I'm just after some thoughts on how people have found these.

I understand that they need to be hot to pass an MOT etc, but I've been reading stories lately that people have been having a lot of issues trying to get cars to pass at all.

So I'm just wondering,

• Those of you with sports cats, what has your experience been like?
  • Are there any recommended ones to use?  Preferably bolt in replacements.

I see that Tarmac Sportz ones are shown as passing from cold but I'm sorry to say, that I can't see that being possible.

Hi Dave,

I have had high flow cats on my 370 and my 350 they add a nice bit of noise. The also allow the car to breath more easily. Both of my sets have passed every MOT with no issues. I don't know if my garage warmed them up loads 1st but they have passed none the less. Tarmac sportz cats are great. 

Some of the American brands do need to be very hot to pass as they don't work to the same emissions standards that we do.

• Like 1

Usually, my original CAT was starting to break up and exhaust was blowing in a couple of places, had patched once, but decided just replace the lot from the manifold back.

Car sounds like it's on steriods now, its a shame its so expensive so turbo or supercharge as it would go with the awesome sound it now makes 🤣

• Haha 1

Hey,

We're planning on making our HFC 300 cell so they pass MOT a little easier, currently most aftermarket (including ours) are 200 cell. 

They will still have much better flow than the OEM ones but MOT will be less of a hassle. 

Hopefully with 300 cell, it'll be a straight pass, 200 cell will require heating as you already said. 

• Like 1