Odd Creaking

Ash_J

Evening All,

Never posted here before and only really browsed when troubleshooting. However I'm at my limit with a creaking sound I get at slow speeds when turning. I've had the car up in the air and there looks to be no visual damage to any bushes or components, there is up and down play at the drivers side front but nothing excessive and no play anywhere else. 

The noise is very hard to pin point when going lock to lock whilst stationary and changes depending on where you stand. After pulling my hair out I took the car to a garage (ATS) to see if they had the same issues as me trying to find the noise. The mechanic comes back and says he thinks it might be my steering rack, however, the steering is still light to turn, very smooth and has seemingly no play when checking side to side play at the wheels. The noise is non-existent when the car is in the air. 

Are there any checks you guys could think of to either cement that it is the steering rack or would you recommend me carrying out any other checks?

If it is the steering rack, where would your go to place be to buy one?

• Like 1

ATS !!! Really. Aren’t they tyre  fitters ?. How about front control arm ?. Strut mount ? Shock ?PM zmanalex on here if you do need any parts. He breaks Zeds and has most parts secondhand and is a great go to source.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 2

Creaking - i had that on both my zeds and both times it was the drop links / anti roll bar end links.  Nice and cheap and easy to replace.  I'd swap them over first and report back.

Search on here for creaking drop links and you'll find hundreds of posts.

• Like 1

Just got home from working on my 510 all day at the mechanics who looked after both my Zeds. 99% confident it will be your drop links…

Edited by Payco