Oil Pressure Reading Engine Off/Key On

Osakakev

Hi, 

Should my oil pressure gauge show a reading when the engine is off / key on?

I'm trying to figure out if I have a faulty gauge/sensor. It's a non standard and goes from 0 to max bar when key is on and then settles on 6.5 bar. My reading when engine on is very high and I'm hoping it's due to down to the gauge/sensor

Cheers 

Stock gauge:

Pressure should show 0 when not running

idle 60 psi cold

idle 14-30 psi hot

30-60 psi under hard acceleration when hot

They do vary, but the gauge is not the most accurate. If it shows anything above 0 when running and oil level is correct i'd say you're fine.

For your aftermarket one, sounds faulty. I'd just get it and the sensor replaced. 6.5 bar is about 95 psi ? 

Thank you.

It's now just over 9 bar on key on engine off this morning and not started engine since last engine off reading so not sure how it's increased... Picture attached with engine off

It's a fairly new gauge and sensor about 1 year old as I was having issues with low/no readings (albeit it's a cheap one).

It was working fine and in spec until I had a new radiator fitted and service (oil changed from 5w30 to 5w40). 

I'm worried it's a faulty oil filter or something but if it's showing high before engine on then definitely must be the gauge/sensor/wiring?

If I cold start the engine it goes way past 10 bar and then will slowly come down to 7 bar ish when fully warmed up and move up/down during acceleration.

Cheers 

IMG_20220714_080824.jpg

100% something wrong with the sensor or the gauge.

When the engine is off, the oil pump won't be running so there can't be any pressure on the sensor as there isn't a pump running to create any.

Do you have the correct sensor for the gauge?  ie, you have a 10bar gauge so you need a 10bar sensor.

Is it wired correctly?

Edited by daveo132
I can't spell.....

Yes correct sensor for the gauge and it was all wired up correctly by auto electrician and working (with as expected readings).

Once it was serviced and new radiator was fitted it was immediately giving higher readings.

Not sure what could have caused it but at least it safe to drive

Cheers 

That is very odd.

That said I've heard some iffy things about VDO gauges but none of them backed up.

But simply put, engine not running should = 0 pressure.

If you want peace of mind on it, get it checked with a mechanical pressure gauge.

• Like 1

I had it checked with a mechanical pressure gauge around 1 year ago but can't do any harm to check again.

Definitely showing a reading before engine is switched on so don't need to worry about incorrect oil or dodgy filter now!

Probably should buy a decent gauge and sensor this time haha

• Haha 1

My car came with the aftermarket sensor and gauge (fresh import) and immediately starting giving low pressure warnings so I replaced with the cheap one as couldn't find an Auto Gauge one to match.

Which one did you buy? I want to replace everything (sensor, gauge, wiring etc)

Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

So my z always runs at 60 on my oil gauge and hardly never goes above. Last night the car is running great and I look up and my oil gauge says 90. So I'm concerned because it's never done this before so changed the oil and filter this morning and now it's pegged at 120 when I start it. What in the world is the issue. I've read pleasure value and oil pressure  sensor. Which one to do first cause money is an issue right now and my Pink Lady Z is my only transportation. Any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Pink Lady Z

It's got to be either the sensor or the gauge.

When my OEM gauge died it went to 120 before the engine was on so must be an open circuit or something.

Also, I wouldn't expect the car to be at 60PSI at all times.  Once the car is hot.  Idle pressure will be much closer to 15/20PSI.

Having gone through this myself, the engine will be fine.  It will be the sensor or gauge and if you really want to be sure, get a garage to hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to it.