A possible return to the Z's

AMT

Ok, so prob one of the few times I've jumped over to the 70' side for a post but here we are.  As a seaseond HR350 veteren who sold his in 2018, I'm now condering going back to a Z.  Was supposed to be a 2008ish 4.2 XKR following it, that didn't happen and I also had a depressing stage of looking at a MK3 TTS.  Due to the pain in the backside trying to find another house and various other things, I haven't changed car and have had to kick about in a crappy hatchback (which I despise).  I haven't made my full mind up but I might aswell intice myself and seeing a 370Z in a car park recently I'm like.....well.....

With the 350, I loved it, it had its faults but never put a foot wrong but I feel I've done the manual Z thing and considering an auto/paddle 370Z coupe.  (prob be from 2016 onwards but prior to the black headlamp and crap wheel facelift 2018?).  Just wanted to get an idea if anything to look for aka common faults and any particular years to avoid??  A few questions below but feel free to add....

-I've heard the oil gallery gasket isn't an issue after 2013? ...or is that just less...of an issue.  I think I got away with it in my 350 having sold it at 103K miles.

-Do they eat bushes and balljoints?  (I think my 350 went through used and new ones, almost twice over, for both normal and banana arms...fun)

-I never had chain issues etc and I'm guessing although its the 3.7 it's going to be just as damn reliable as the 3.5?

-I keep reading about the silly dots on the fuel guage being a bit unrealiable...are they ok ..eg. they ain't gonna have one dot left and then suddenly leave me stranded.

-Any issues with the Auto box to look out for? (I test drove one years ago but just the once breifly)

And a couple silly ones just out of curiousity...

-Does the GT come standard with the boot cover? (it annoys me, as I've been in a friends, it doesn't have the rear 'glove box' and divider of the 350 where you can have a shelf accessible from front and a hidden bit for the boot).  I've seen some for sale without this.

-Is the Auto fast or slower than the manual? - Its a stupid question I know but when I search I'm getting mixed advice.  (everyone wants the next one to be faster than the last lol). 

-I averaged pretty much the whole time (on the read out anyway....) an average of 22mpg on my 350, is the Auto 370Z any worse or perhaps a bit better? (not a huge issue as its still gonna be 600 odds in tax lol)

Thanks for any info or help! 

Edited by AMT
  • Like 1

Can answer a couple of those points.

Auto is marginally quicker (on paper), not worth writing home about though

The dots.... Utterly stupid, its the only thing I genuinely  hate with a passion. You do get used to them and what a dot equates to, I consider 2 dots reserve level. Current prices, from 3dots to full is £126 subject to increase or decrease, who knows.....

Id assume the GT has pretty much the same spec (barring seats and trim) as the Nismo so boot cover, shelf behind seats and a little cubby for a small umbrella, gloves and a spare bottle of your chosen aftershave. Glove box is perfect size for your service book and touchup kit, can even fit you locking nut in there :lol:

Centre console has a pop up you can fit a small phone or 2 in and a USB stick for some tunes.

As for your point on tax, mines a 2019 so ULEZ compliant and falls in the £165 bracket, so if thats a factor worth considering a later model.

Overall, I found it night and day over the 350 in terms of refinement, comfort and better performance.  

• Like 1

The suspension and track of the Nismo is completely different to the GT.  That said, it’s not mindblowingly different to the GT.

I test drove the auto before buying my manual GT, it was alright but will be down on fuel consumption a bit I’d imagine, not that anyone can afford petrol atm ha!  Can’t remember but is the tank @72 litres?, I know it’s bigger than most normal cars.  I never ran out of fuel on any of my 370’s.

They still look great cars, again not a traffic light bruiser, most hot hatches are quicker off the mark, it’s a GT but the road noise is terrible on a long journey, lack of insulation and deadening probs the main factor.

I wish I’d kept my 2013 Nismo

• Like 1

Alcantara door cards on GT Edition. Also about to buy some kneepads hopefully to match. Dots are fine. 1 dot means reserve. The Auto is economical as ive been on a few trips with just under 50 miles left.

Its not good to run it on empty but i live in the city and consumption is quicker. Only thing is it wont upshift to 5th at 30mph but the gear ratios are different. Theres also no downshift protection against 1st gear so you need to be very careful in manual mode due to the lag

I got a 2012 and have only had tpms go. Cars smoother and quieter and nice not worry about gears due to traffic and slower cars. Which got frustrating being in the city. The 7th gear keeps the revs just above 2k at 70mph. So you can get up to 35 mpg. Or 38 if sitting at 60mph through roadworks. I get 23 mpg average. Its due an interim oil change now.

Its faster on pick up being an auto. A TTS is marginally quicker being DSG and Turbo. A lot of lag on some downshifts can probably be sorted with a map. I had 2 Nismos even saw one just now.

I dont feel like returning to manual so ill stick with this for now. Buying a third Nismo will be a bit insane i rather get another car. Mines under warranty so not too worried about the main faults. Although I need new window seals and a respray of the roof and fenders/wings

If you get the GT youll be able to glide around without drawing too much attention in stock form. I prefer it tbh. 

I avoid as many potholes and creveces as possible. Not had any issues with bushes etc. Still going strong. Mines 46k miles. Planning to do Transmission oil and spark plugs at next service. Also brakes are coming up! Then it will be tyres after.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone! Not so fussed on refinement... You heard plenty noise in my 350 so I'd be fine with it, its a small cabin lol Fuel again.. Was just curious I'm well aware of my old 22mpg so any improvement is better than none.  

I was interested to hear about the no downshift protection so ill keep that in mind... Although most of time it'll be on auto maybe just downshift for overtaking or the odd fun.  (heres a question, if in manual mode and you dont change will it change back to auto or does it need you to move the gear shifter?) 

Prob would be more of what I had before.. Grey... Tinted windows at back. That does ye. Although I did enjoy my scorpion exhaust and cobra Y-pipe sourced from the locals on here lol I could be persueded to try that again. Anyway ill habe a little look, not made any concrete decisions just now... Probably sensible given the cost of cars. I should have kept my bloody Z.  Someone in England has it and doesn't seem to be looking after it from the late MOTs... (yes I check lol) and now its SORN apparently. My poor baby haha

Edited by AMT
  • Haha 1

It returns to manual if youve clicked on the paddle usually after 6-7 seconds. The ECU is waiting to see if youll click again. 

Theres a video by Nissan about the Auto Transmission. Its occasionally laggy on downshift. There are times when its not but a lot of the time it could be as bad as 2-3 seconds delay in non manual mode. Ill give it a test later. Im sure a map fixes it. I dont think Nissan had an update for this. I also dont think theyll bother on the new Z either. That apparently suffers lag on upshift at times. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I too had a 350z for 10 years. which I traded in for a R35 GTR (2014 Recaro Edition) in May 2020 which I love.

Since the 370Z offer such good value I've recently bought one (2011 manual) and while it was bought more with my heart then head, it's the two car line up I've always wanted.

• Like 2

Here are a few of the GTR, I am getting the headlights restored for the 370Z next week so will take some then of the 370Z

The GTR is close to 80,000 miles, I bought it at around 73,000 miles in May 2020 for a very good price of £36.000 and prices have shot up a lot since then. They have gone up even more now they have stopped making the R35 so I wanted another car to start taking the mileage. The 370Z I bought has just over 50,000 miles on it so I will daily that more often now.

d7Rw1in.jpg

oBSVyCA.jpg

nakIdH0.jpg

• Like 3

On 28/09/2022 at 12:48, GranTurismoEra said:

I can tell by the headlights thats a 2012 onwards. Is it by any chance a 2012-2016?

Yes that is correct, it's a 2014 Recaro Edition so it's a DBA model. 👍

The thunderbolt headlight design is much more aggressive than the previous generation model.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Here were a couple of pics of my 370Z.

I like it a lot although the only nitpick is the exhaust note is not as tuneful (more 'hummy'/monotonal) as my previous 350Z with Berk HFCs and Milltek exhaust. 

I'm planning on HFCs and a tune later to improve it

g9O7ftK.jpg

8xGPdwt.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2023 at 11:25, Exotic said:

Here were a couple of pics of my 370Z.

I like it a lot although the only nitpick is the exhaust note is not as tuneful (more 'hummy'/monotonal) as my previous 350Z with Berk HFCs and Milltek exhaust. 

I'm planning on HFCs and a tune later to improve it

g9O7ftK.jpg

8xGPdwt.jpg

Out of interest does anyone know the official name for this colour Grey?

I know there was another Grey which had a more brown undertone.