rust rust and more rust

SW66TTT

Seeing this sort of thing really does put me off keeping my 370 long term, which is unfortunate.

Okay, mine is only five years old at the end of this year, but I've recently been told that it's not a case of "if", but "when", the rot sets in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Seeing this sort of thing really does put me off keeping my 370 long term, which is unfortunate.

Okay, mine is only five years old at the end of this year, but I've recently been told that it's not a case of "if", but "when", the rot sets in.

I mean yes and no aha, if keep it in an air bubble and always get rid of moisture heated garage etc will be fine. 

This one looks particularly sketchy as might have been incorrectly jacked up in the past which usually Allows moisture into the sill cavity 

9C5E1AE8-952A-4795-BE11-F92C70B7C67C.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Under seal it as it’s a newish car. I’m not undersealing mine as there is a risk I may be sealing in under surface rust but given the age of your z if you are concerned about the long term get it professionally  undersealed. Some good places in Sussex too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Payco said:

Under seal it as it’s a newish car. I’m not undersealing mine as there is a risk I may be sealing in under surface rust but given the age of your z if you are concerned about the long term get it professionally  undersealed. Some good places in Sussex too.

Thanks Martin - can you tell me who and where?

Somewhere tried and trusted!

• Like 1

really I need to get it in a ramp and have a proper look, work out what bits are too far gone and need replacing or need work.

Whats the best plan with the surface rust? sand it down and apply a treatment?

I've been watching the road and race videos on youtube, that guys a legend

I wish i could strip the whole underneath of the car down but I dont have anywhere to do it, its a pain just jacking the car up as my driveway is a slope

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Payco said:

I wouldn’t spend the money Keith unless you are keeping the car long long term.

Thanks Martin - "long term" will be another 3.5 years which is when I plan on retiring. At that point the car will be eight and a few months old, with around 35k miles on the clock.

I'll get the chance to review its condition, having a proper look, at least once a year during servicing at Abbey. If it's just the W brace that ever needs replacing, that's not too bad I suppose.

8 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Thanks Martin - "long term" will be another 3.5 years which is when I plan on retiring. At that point the car will be eight and a few months old, with around 35k miles on the clock.

I'll get the chance to review its condition, having a proper look, at least once a year during servicing at Abbey. If it's just the W brace that ever needs replacing, that's not too bad I suppose.

Keith

Well if it was mine I would just replace rather than expense the treatment of the whole car for the longer term owner to reap the benefit. Sadly it won’t add to the sale value imho. Of course it’s your car and your choice but I would save the pennies personally.

M

• Like 1