Craig

Toothmagician

Hey Guys, i hope you can help. I have a 53 plate 350z. Brought the car modified. Has got a custom twin exit exhaust which are large exits. It has hi flow cats also. No other mods performance wise. I have an engine management light on, guy i brought it from says everything is fine its just the hi flow setting it off. They put some spacers in the exhaust hoping to trick the o2 sensors...dont fully understand this but apparently is a fix. However eml light is back on and the car can stink of petrol fumes, always has done since iv had it. Can anyone relate to this? Is it normal to smell with hi flow cats on? Am i poisoning myself 🤣? Any help greatly appreciated. Im no mechanic so go easy with any laymans terms!

My car has high flow cats on and never smelt of petrol. It could be over fuelling. It might have loose bolts. Best get it on a ramp and check it out. As for the eml light would probably be due to the high flow cats. Probably nothing to worry about on that front.

The exhaust gases usually smell a bit due to high flow cats not filtering as well as standard ones, but as above, it shouldn't be stinking of petrol unless unburnt fuel is getting in there. 

You could take the car for an uprev to get it tuned properly and the post-cat O2 sensors turned off to get rid of the EML for good. 

Worth checking the top of the fuel tank too as the seals can perish over time and you get the smell in the cabin. This was the solution for my Uncle. I've got a strong smell of fuel in My 2008 when i put the hammer down. It sales through the MOT so i'm not putting it down to the HFC's, possibly the fuel sloshing and seaping through the top seal. Worth investigating.

If you haven't already get yourself a OBD reader, you can then investigate a bit yourself on what's causing the EML.  It will either tell you what's setting it off or give you a code you can then google it.  Something like this should do

MOTOPOWER OBD2 Scanner Universal Car Engine Fault Code Reader, CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for All OBD II Protocol Cars : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive 

The fuel smell could be the result of numerous issues as has been already said.

The sensor spacer usually works, however as been said best to turn off the rear sensors permanently.

Best to check if there are any  DTCs stored and also check out the following:

Fuel tank, seals or fuel pipe leaks.

Exhaust leak

Faulty front O2 sensor

All the parts that you may require are in stock, so just drop me a PM if I can help further.