Air Bag Light

G1en

I recently had an intimate moment with a crash barrier (video on my build post) and just getting it repaired now BUT the side airbag went off at the time, by side i mean the one stored in the headlining and when it went off covered the drivers door window area, now there is a permanent red warning light on dash (not blinking like lots of online videos) 

Does anyone know how to get rid of the light or any options to bypass it, fit a resistor in somewhere like i have done with seats and steering wheel (when swapped for aftermarket) or does the system need resetting? need new airbag? etc. I have tucked the airbag back into headlining for now so you can't actually tell its gone off and not bothered if it ever works in the future for what use it was, I will have a helmet on most of time anyway. Am i right in thinking its an MOT failure if on at time of test?

Any help appreciated guys/gals

Hi Glen. Hope the rebuild is going well.

When I had my little off a few years ago several air bags went off.

I sent the module off to have the crash data erased and replaced the units that had detonated.

Its in the center console behind the hand brake lever. Cost is about £70 or less with the many online companies. 

Airbag warning light on or any kind of SRS warning will be a straight MOT failure, and if its seen to have gone off as well. 

Personally I'd say you need to either remove it or replace it. MOT guidelines state if it's present then it must be testable and in a working condition 

Gonna get a replacement on ebay for 50-60 quid, seems easy enough to replace, unit just held in with a few bolts under the head liner and re-attach connector, hopefully a “new” unit will make the light go away.

32 minutes ago, G1en said:

Gonna get a replacement on ebay for 50-60 quid, seems easy enough to replace, unit just held in with a few bolts under the head liner and re-attach connector, hopefully a “new” unit will make the light go away.

Hope that works Glen. I replaced the units but the light stayed on. Crash data removal on the module was the only way it worked for me.