Yellowstuff pads into Brembo calipers

MAD Glenn

22 hours ago, SW66TTT said:

are they a good upgrade on standard pads? I need some new pads myself and have been looking around, I've looked at hawk and Stoptech pads, I might go for discs at the same time.

They are better than standard but so is everything else :lol:
Id recommend DS2500 for non track, Pagid RS29 or Carbotechs for some tracking, Endless or CL for heavy track action :thumbs:

15 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

I’ve been using them for 2-3years now no issues! just don’t make the mistake of using track pads on the road 😂 silly mistake a lot of people make 

Howso? Ive been using CL on road cars for years, sure they can be a bit dusty and sometimes squeak but they perform just as well on the road as on the track, pads that dont bite from cold are a thing of the past in my experience.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, docwra said:

They are better than standard but so is everything else :lol:
Id recommend DS2500 for non track, Pagid RS29 or Carbotechs for some tracking, Endless or CL for heavy track action :thumbs:

Howso? Ive been using CL on road cars for years, sure they can be a bit dusty and sometimes squeak but they perform just as well on the road as on the track, pads that dont bite from cold are a thing of the past in my experience.   

This was in reply to yellow stuff pads, and reference about red stuff pure track ceramic pads 

16 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

This was in reply to yellow stuff pads, and reference about red stuff pure track ceramic pads 

OK, but Redstuff arent ceramic and arent track pads*, I wouldn't fit them to my wheelbarrow personally.
Im sure you love them but if you havent used anything else youre not really in a position to make a recommendation, go out in a car with CLs fitted and youll see what I mean.  

* from EBC website: "Designed & manufactured as a performance road pad" 

58 minutes ago, docwra said:

OK, but Redstuff arent ceramic and arent track pads*, I wouldn't fit them to my wheelbarrow personally.
Im sure you love them but if you havent used anything else youre not really in a position to make a recommendation, go out in a car with CLs fitted and youll see what I mean.  

* from EBC website: "Designed & manufactured as a performance road pad" 

So sorry chap, I don’t mean to speak out of tune, I guess I’ll take my qualifications and degree rip them up and throw them away, I forget always assume you know nothing when someone else says anything. 

I appreciate you might have your own opinion and own experiences. so I do apologise if I have my own, it’s not like it’s a huge factor in my job either 😂, but I stand by the fact that a 2011 hyundai i10 has the sharpest brakes known to man on Oem parts. 

Correct yes they aren’t “track only” that was just my mistake, but they are ceramic enhanced which I what I mean. And require warming up before they reach optimum effectiveness. 

sorry my bad 

4E50342B-C776-4FE1-ABD6-F833E783D85E.png

48 minutes ago, Azurez33 said:

So sorry chap, I don’t mean to speak out of tune, I guess I’ll take my qualifications and degree rip them up and throw them away, I forget always assume you know nothing when someone else says anything. 

I appreciate you might have your own opinion and own experiences. so I do apologise if I have my own, it’s not like it’s a huge factor in my job either 😂, but I stand by the fact that a 2011 hyundai i10 has the sharpest brakes known to man on Oem parts. 

Correct yes they aren’t “track only” that was just my mistake, but they are ceramic enhanced which I what I mean. And require warming up before they reach optimum effectiveness. 

sorry my bad 

4E50342B-C776-4FE1-ABD6-F833E783D85E.png

Great pads. Have them on my 1971 Datsun 510 Coupe. Have EBC Green Stuff ones.👍

I have currently got Yellowstuff pads.

What i would say is very good value for money

They are like a 6/10 in all aspects. I have had better and worse pads so these sit right in the "fast Road" category

better than OEM, by no means a track pad but do actually get better when warm.

Very progressive feel and no problem stopping the Zed. they do wear fairly fast ( more so when stomping down hard) which is prob why there are videos on youtube showing them disintegrated after a track day but if its just road use or sprinting / very light track use like i say excellent value for money.

They are fairly low dust as well compared to most.

Its EBC's most popular pad in the range

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

I appreciate you might have your own opinion and own experiences.

Im genuinely overjoyed that you have a degree, congratulations but not really sure how thats relevant here :thumbs:

I do indeed have my own experiences, in fact quite a lot of them with quite a lot of different brake pads and this might be why I weigh in on threads like this; IMO the reality is anyone recommending EBC pads for anything other than road use hasnt limited or no experience with superior products.

This is not the best person to ask for recommendations, see also coilovers and even tyres in some cases where everyone thinks the one they are using is the best. By all means ignore me but try a set of CL RC5+ on the front of your car and then try and tell me Redstuff are anything like the same ;) 

19 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

👍🏼 Can’t even read what I’ve said properly so no point arguing. 

Dont be like that, I want to know what the issue with track pads on the road is and how EBC Redstuff perform better than CLs. 

Come on, play the game, youve made some very definite statements that arent correct so rather than "you didnt understand what I typed" (I did, its there in black and white) why dont explain what you actually meant? 

On 05/06/2022 at 15:41, SW66TTT said:

are they a good upgrade on standard pads? I need some new pads myself and have been looking around, I've looked at hawk and Stoptech pads, I might go for discs at the same time.

Hawk are decent when used with motul or miller fluid changed. Solid bite less sponginess and fade. I cant say whether they are good for constant track use. Fast Road its good and better than OEM!

Sorry, I’m with Doc on this one. If you want to argue your case then do so, but so far you’ve come up with nowt more than “oh look what it says on the website”. Not sure what a Hyundai has to do with anything either, and also don’t mistake sharp brakes for good brakes. Genuinely interested to hear a counterpoint on this, we could always stand to learn more about brakes if you’re an expert (and that’s not said with any sarcasm at all, I promise).

Big fan of CL5+ here too, been on the MX5 for well over a year now and yes they squeak, but my god do they stop. Must admit though in sub zero temps I’ve had the first stop almost not be a stop at all, but then my car weighs a few hundred kilo less so I suspect that might come into a play a bit. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, alexgv1 said:

@docwra I’m sorry to call you out on this but somebody needs to let you know that you’re being a d**k. Why don’t you let it rest. 

Because its a classic forum situation that reduces the value of the info in the thread, and by extension the forum. 
Member1 asks for advice, member2 with limited experience weighs in, member3 with more experience points out whats hes saying isnt really accurate. 

Rather than accept member3 is giving better advice, member2 starts talking about qualifications they hold, something a mate did once and various other irrelevant stuff and finally posts something like "You dont even understand" when he realises he cant back up what hes saying. 
Member4 searches for the same info in a few months time, finds this thread but doesnt know who to listen to and ends up with Yellowstuff on his car. 

Maybe Im just old fashioned but I started modding cars before google existed, the information on forums was all that was out there so it had to be accurate. 
You'd still get guys who didnt really know what they were talking about posting but they get shut down pretty quickly and the forum, and the info on it becomes self regulating.

There was a time when Id tell anyone that would listen DS3000s were the best pads ...... and then a more knowledgeable mate told me to STFU until Id actually tried something decent.
Now when I see someone making a similar claim I try to do the same, if you look at my first post its just correcting some info, the response I got wasnt exactly "Thank you" though. :lol: 

The problem is that everyone has to be right all the time these days, instead of accepting that some people have more knowledge and more experience they just start ignoring questions and casting aspersions, the people with the actual knowledge leave and the forum stops being a reference for information and starts being an FB chat thread. 

So anyway, back to the question again - @azurez33 what exactly is it I dont understand? 

• Like 1

Personally, my experience, I would say that the Red Stuffs I put on my Celica GT4 were not that great if I am honest. I bought the car with standard discs and some Pagid (not premium) pads. I wanted to change both before a big road trip and found a deal on grooved EBC discs and redstuff pads, it was a significant price saving so went for it. Changing out the old discs and Pagids the new EBC package did not demonstrate the sort of significant change I was expecting, it improved of course, but I was pretty disappointed if I am honest. 

When I compare the difference to when I swapped out some old brakes on my VX220 into Mintex 1155 pads (with no rotor change) the difference was huge. 1155s are definitely more track orientated (it says on the pad backing not for road use lol) and for sure when cold there was a little bit of warming needed but not to any sort of point that without some subtle adjustment to how I used the brakes would make it an issue. 

What is interesting that when moving from car to car and going into different groups of owners, how the views alter. Mintex 1155s are really well respected for the VX220 lads with their pad of choice was always CL. No one touched EBC. Same for the Celica guys, never touch EBC. I have seen here though EBC used a fair bit.

I think its pretty safe to say you get what you pay for. CL are fantastic pads from what I have read and a serious upgrade from anything EBC does.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, coldel said:

What is interesting that when moving from car to car and going into different groups of owners, how the views alter. Mintex 1155s are really well respected for the VX220 lads with their pad of choice was always CL. No one touched EBC. Same for the Celica guys, never touch EBC. I have seen here though EBC used a fair bit.

I think its pretty safe to say you get what you pay for. CL are fantastic pads from what I have read and a serious upgrade from anything EBC does.  

TBH this is another reason Ill post on these threads - as you know I do quite a few trackdays ;) in the UK and Europe, none of the regular guys will go near EBC, I guess 70% use CL or Pagid RS so its not really a matter of conjecture. 
Similarly I wont talk about what I havent used, while Ive heard good things about Ferodo Ds 1.11 and Uno thats all I can say until Ive tried them myself

Edited by docwra

Must admit I took a punt on the CL, but given your encouragement on them Doc and the good stuff from the Elise guys on them I figured the cost was worth a go. Not a single regret at all, real world experience counts for an awful lot when you speak to guys who have tried a lot of different items. 

On 08/06/2022 at 14:02, docwra said:

Dont be like that, I want to know what the issue with track pads on the road is and how EBC Redstuff perform better than CLs. 

Come on, play the game, youve made some very definite statements that arent correct so rather than "you didnt understand what I typed" (I did, its there in black and white) why dont explain what you actually meant? 

Right, please don’t take my late reply as a lack of wanting to reply, I spend enough time appeasing arrogant customers at work. 

Let me start off by asking you some questions…. 

Please show me anywhere above where I have recommended anything for road or track use?  

secondly, please show me from anywhere above where I have given a positive review for Red stuff pads? 

On 08/06/2022 at 14:02, docwra said:

Further more, please find anywhere above where i have even compared Red stuff pads to anything? 

Can you also see anywhere on the post which references to “what’s the best track / performance orientated pads suggestions please” The title clearly says “ yellow stuff pads in brembo calipers”  this is not a what’s best post. I merely stated that over the time I’ve used ebc YELLOWSTUFF pads I’ve never had an issue with them (this is more neutral maybe a tad positive) and in no way a recommendation that they are better than anything. The only reason I use them atm is because I get a decent discount through work- and by no means even close to the better brands some of which has been mentioned here in the post. And definitely not RED stuff ( I’ve had these on a few different vehicle and was not overly impressed) 

I’ll give you a hint you won’t find any of these because I haven’t actually said anything of the such, if you’d like to remove you head from a certain dark place you’d be reading what I’ve actually said 

Another thing I’d like to know is have you ever worked in the trade? 
now I’ve not made any assumptions about yourself because I don’t know you apart the fact that you’re a bit of an arrogant &@£”, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. It seems you’ve been here a while and must have a fair bit of knowledge.  But at the same time don’t assume you know myself either? So…. In response to your “limited experience to superior products” A little bit about my job role, I do have a bit of track time in various cars however - in

my job we do a fair few track day setups ranging from mx5s, mr2s, ac cobra kits, m3s etc the boss has his own 911 turbo, we do performance brake upgrades, 4 wheel alignment, lowering, remaps, programming most things you can think of, now with all of that there is a lot of fast road seat time involved on a vast array of different cars and a large amount of different products are used- I probably drive 60-70 different cars a week so I get a fair bit of driving time in, albeit not every job is brake upgrades however it’s always part of a road test to check efficiency of brakes. Now I’ve heard of cl and seen other colleagues fit them but I’ve not personally fitted them. So I can’t say I’ve tried them however- with every manufacturer and product there is always application, and many many variables that can give incorrect results- in the past I’ve had some fairly good results using some of ebcs products, I think it’s a bit stupid to slate the whole company for the sake of a single product on a single vehicle. Do you slate nestlè because you don’t like topic bars? Every product has different effects with different systems due to optimisation. I have a whole range of driving experiences across the board. I have a few with the 350, so in reality - please tell me about how I have limited experience because I don’t feel that’s factually correct and also unfair? I’ve been in the trade for close to 7 years now. 

I do however completely agree with you that people commenting and recommending on things they don’t know much about dilute and confuse already complex topics however educating people on these matters is why we are here on the forum and not on Facebook, Here we can have educated opinions based on facts not heresay. On that matter- I do apologise, I was wrong that Ebc RED stuff are not track only oriented pads however, as you can see they are ceramic enhanced so we have both dropped the ball there. With my initial statement as I also apologise because it seems I misread your response which has probably led us to this point, I didn’t mean that track pads can’t be used on the roads/ shouldn’t, however there is good reason for this- In the past few years we’ve seen a big influx in young drivers “buying” expensive pads / discs (most likely due to quick payment options) and fitting them on what I’ll call McDonald’s friendly vehicles, and since fitting complain about braking issues- albeit most high spec pads these days do not require full warming to be effective, they do require a baseline in temperature to reach optimum Efficiency, some of these parts bought mention they are specified track use only and the symptoms these drivers are noting only really seem to lead to either heat fade or that they simply aren’t in the correct operating conditions- 

Granted there are operating conditions, about a dozen different variables to take into account and that us as a customer have to take into account that there are forces outside the brake discs and pads to take into account. 

Now I know that back when you might have been modding your nova that information was limited and that you had to figure things out for yourself or risk what who ever said on the community notice board, but times have changed, yes I completely agree that there’s too much information available in this day and age and I hate it, however that doesn’t really mean you can just talk down, belittle and just be a c@ck when you don’t know much about someone just because your friend gethrow did it to you back when K seal was deemed “mechanics essential” and it bit you in the ass, I’m sorry I’m not that guy who’s going to do that because “like you” I’m not trying to talk about things I don’t know about, and just for the record you say “forum member who has one product and thinks it’s the best” that was pretty much you for the majority of the first half of the topic, I’ve used a range of different products on a different range of cars. But hey ho 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2022 at 21:35, Ekona said:

Sorry, I’m with Doc on this one. If you want to argue your case then do so, but so far you’ve come up with nowt more than “oh look what it says on the website”. Not sure what a Hyundai has to do with anything either, and also don’t mistake sharp brakes for good brakes. Genuinely interested to hear a counterpoint on this, we could always stand to learn more about brakes if you’re an expert (and that’s not said with any sarcasm at all, I promise).

Big fan of CL5+ here too, been on the MX5 for well over a year now and yes they squeak, but my god do they stop. Must admit though in sub zero temps I’ve had the first stop almost not be a stop at all, but then my car weighs a few hundred kilo less so I suspect that might come into a play a bit. 

Hi Ekona, okay fair enough chap, you clearly have a lot of knowledge and have always been a reasonable guy. The only reason I sent the picture was just to say that they are ceramic enhanced. 
the Hyundai reference was a bit of fishing tbh waiting for a response to gauge what knowledge the other party has in a way if that makes sense? realistically yes I just meant to gauge what the response was, there’s a huge amount of factor, principles, conditions and other parts that come into play with braking, and for a little tiny i10 that weighs barely 900kg odd to stop on a hairline. 
If you see above I believe I explain enough above, I’d be happy to go further into it as we are all here to learn with a commodity of respect, something I don’t feel I have been given, I get spoken down to enough by cocky customers that think they know everything, nobody knows everything and we are all capable of learning, In no way am I am expert and I don’t believe I have even said that anywhere above, if I have please show me and I will rectify that, I mainly specialise in diagnostic testing and ICE fault finding but I get used for mostly everything at work. 

Your reputation stands for itself, and I know I am a new comer here but I do not like being belittled and talked down to - not by yourself. I will further state that I’ve never had a good history with Redstuff pads on my z, however my work colleague who had his track focused st3 stage three had a really good experience with them. Application can change experiences- I’m open to lean 👍🏼 Hope we can diffuse this “situation” 

• Like 1