Cyclists and sharing the road

Tomato

Always a touchy subject I know, but I think I need to invest in a dash cam, the amount of stupid cyclists on the road just seems to be increasing (not saying car drivers are sometimes not stupid too) but...

Yesterdays examples....

1) 3 abreast on a narrow national speed limit road chatting at no more than 10mph. 2 miles later and a convoy of cars passes them when road widens, is it that hard to go single file to allow traffic to pass?

2) 2 abrest on 30mph, doing around 15mph, park cars meant has to wait, ok with this part, then overtake, on passing gave them 2 metres, they decide to accelerate after me, maybe new exhaust startled them.

3) then my favourite, mate in his mclaren behind 2 abreast on top of moors in north yotkshire decides on national speed limits decides to pull into other lane completely blocking the road, mate had to sit there for 30 seconds or so, he then pulled in and then pulled back across the road, lucky not to get hit! Then did the same as I passed him in the Z. What a ******

Rant over 😡

• Like 2

I do get a bit mystified at the ones who feel it's too much effort to use the designated cycle paths on my commute and then show the finger to the drivers who overtake them at high revs when the opportunity  finally  arises.

I try a big "WOOSAAAA" and think to myself.......poor sod has only  got a bike and lucky me living the Zed life in my 350z :teeth:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SW66TTT said:

You would think they would want to move over to allow cars to pass for their own safety.

Exactly this. Unfortunately I feel that the changes to the Highway Code have emboldened them further. Hopefully it will be reviewed when the roads are littered with more dead or injured cyclists. 

5 minutes ago, alexgv1 said:

Exactly this. Unfortunately I feel that the changes to the Highway Code have emboldened them further. Hopefully it will be reviewed when the roads are littered with more dead or injured cyclists. 

and the car driver will always be at fault if a cyclist gets knocked off.  Like you said highway codes changes lately have majorly gone in the favour of cyclists and also pedestrians

Edited by SW66TTT
  • Like 1

I signed a petition to parliament requiring cyclists to pay tax and have insurance for the benefit of other road users. Not sure if it got anywhere.

I do feel quite uncomfortable that a cyclist could damage your car and pedal off without being identified or have no insurance and you’d have to pay out for repairs yourself. 

5 minutes ago, alexgv1 said:

I signed a petition to parliament requiring cyclists to pay tax and have insurance for the benefit of other road users. Not sure if it got anywhere.

I do feel quite uncomfortable that a cyclist could damage your car and pedal off without being identified or have no insurance and you’d have to pay out for repairs yourself. 

unlikely, the government have to be seen to be promoting anything that will improve the environment, getting people to cycle is a easy thing to push, if people had to have tax and insurance less people would cycle.  

I agree thou cyclists could easily damage your car and ride off with no consequence.  I'm glad I don't live in a big city I'm sure cyclists are a nightmare.

15 minutes ago, alexgv1 said:

Where do you draw that line though?

A pedestrian can could damage your car and stroll off without being identified or have no insurance and you'd have to pay out for repairs yourself.

The only answer is to register all humans... no, wait, all sentient creatures and make them display identification at all times.

Or, you know, just avoid creating situations where someone/thing else would want to damage your property....

30 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

Where do you draw that line though?

A pedestrian can could damage your car and stroll off without being identified or have no insurance and you'd have to pay out for repairs yourself.

The only answer is to register all humans... no, wait, all sentient creatures and make them display identification at all times.

Or, you know, just avoid creating situations where someone/thing else would want to damage your property....

Don’t get me wrong, not a fan of Digital ID by any stretch of the imagination. Nor of insurance to be honest, but it would be nice if all road users played by the same rules. 

Avoid creating such situations you say… by keeping cyclists off the roads…? 🤨 If this country is serious about cycling they should look at the Netherlands, cycling there is a pleasure. 

The old canal infrastructure in the is a fantastic place to build a bike route, often wide enough the paths that run alongside for a bikes and pedestrians.

Netherlands is a great city for biking, but the attitude of the bikers there is in a league above compare to the uk sadly

• Like 1

I spend a week a month working in Amsterdam and to a large extent I would say they have it cracked. Over 20,000 bikes parked outside Amsterdam Central everyday and bikes the main mode of transport. They can also be a bit wild as all you get is a quick ring of a bell as they come hurtling around a corner from nowhere. They aren’t afraid of not using lights on their bikes at night either. It’s presents alternative issues.I have had a few close shaves.

Edited by Payco

10 hours ago, alexgv1 said:

My mates M3 e92 tail lamp got damaged by a cyclist. He tried to ride off. My mate gripped him by the collar and marched him to a cash machine. Demanded £350. People came to see what was going on. My mate said hes not going anywhere till he pays for the lamp. The guy played the no speak English Im from Spain role to the police. Police told my mate to go through insurance. He got away with it not having to pay a penny. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Well I just read...

Rules for cyclists (59 to 82) from the highway code

Reading that should be significantly more fines for cyclists 🤣

Give me a badge, I will start policing them in my Z 😏

Two abreast is a safer overtake than two in single file: your TED is much smaller and you should be fully on the opposite side of the road anyway in case they fall off and smack into your car when passing them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

My mates M3 e92 tail lamp got damaged by a cyclist. He tried to ride off. My mate gripped him by the collar and marched him to a cash machine. Demanded £350. People came to see what was going on. My mate said hes not going anywhere till he pays for the lamp. The guy played the no speak English Im from Spain role to the police. Police told my mate to go through insurance. He got away with it not having to pay a penny. 

Absolute joke. He should have paid 🤬

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Absolute joke. He should have paid 🤬

Its the old GTA game. Blow up your Bugatti with $0 trick 😂. No money no case. Like the dad on benefits who avoided jail and got few hours probation for keying an Aston Martin. Diminished responsibility

• 2 weeks later...

Got exactly what he deserved, no excuse for driving like that. He had the whole of the road to use, didn’t do it and paid the price AFTER ignoring a course AND an FPN! Cretin of the highest order. 

If there is space to pass, use all of the road. If you can’t, then there isn’t space to pass full stop. Applies to overtaking anything. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Umster said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609

Looks like the government needs more money, and this is the way its going to do it. 

Harsh, however if he had not been so stubborn about the course that was offered and the FPN then we would never have heard about this incident.

What do they say, "principles can be costly".

• Like 1

I think that's the crux of it. He was in the wrong and could have nipped it in the bud. He stuck to his principles and paid the price. 

Just worries me how big these fines can be, especially when you consider the amount of tax paid by the driver to keep the car on the road in the first place. Not sure the cyclist has had to pay as much to stay on the road. 

I don't believe the government changed the rules for anyone's benefit but HMRC's. But that's another debate. 

VED has nothing to with the upkeep of the roads. Hasn’t done for donkeys years. As such, drivers don’t directly pay towards the upkeep of the roads any more than cyclists do. 

There’s been a huge surge in cyclists on the roads in recent years, which in turn has led to more accidents. Whilst I may not agree with many of the recent changes to the HC, leaving a substantial gap between yourself and a vulnerable road user is not one of them. It’s simple common sense to protect your vehicle, as well as another human being. 

• Like 1

VED, fuel duty, income tax, insurance premium tax etc. All goes into the big pot and gets divvyed up. Quite a few taxes there that cyclists don't have to pay but mehh I won't debate that anymore here. 

I don't dispute leaving distances but points and a large fine. The points are deterrent enough, I mean heck, for speeding you get given a chance to do a speed awareness course. 

To me, its just a cash making exercise. Better ways to educate the public and drivers on how the share the road then milking cash.