First Mods

SW66TTT

I'm collecting a 350z on Monday :)

Its standard apart from a cat back exhaust, I'm putting together a list of first mods and easy/recommended mods.

I'm going to get a plenum spacer

Service including oil, oil filter, spark plugs, is it worth also changing he leads? are the coil packs reliable?

I will also look into induction kits.

Any other first/easy mods I should look into?

Thanks

• Like 1

Unless somethings giving you a problem don’t touch it, realistically unless you’re having misfire issues then replace all of them but otherwise wouldn’t worry, any reason your going for a plenum spacer first? 

Recommendations - Coolant change, brake fluid change, check your fans are working, check your brakes - if they need replacing get some good ones, get some good tyres and then get a short shifter! One thing I wish I had done first with mine 

Thanks for the suggestions, I've read a few places a plenum spacer is beneficial so thought that would be a nice easy mod.

Those other suggestions are ideal, I fitted  short shifter to a rx7 I had years ago and made a huge difference, is there a good one you can recommend?

1 hour ago, SW66TTT said:

I'm collecting a 350z on Monday :)

Its standard apart from a cat back exhaust, I'm putting together a list of first mods and easy/recommended mods.

I'm going to get a plenum spacer

Service including oil, oil filter, spark plugs, is it worth also changing he leads? are the coil packs reliable?

I will also look into induction kits.

Any other first/easy mods I should look into?

Thanks

Non mechanical ;)

Stubby Ariel. 

Spacers?

Good rubber

New head unit? (If the cassette player is still in there)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. 

A plenum spacer is a good idea if the engine is a DE, seeing as you've already got an aftermarket cat-back exhaust then the only other bolt on mod is HFCs or decats really. 

An induction system will add a bit of noise and engine bay bling but won't actually give any gains.

You can get the car remapped (Uprev) but best to do this last once you've got all other performance mods in place. 

In addition to brake fluid and coolant as Azurez33 mentioned I'd also reccomend fresh gearbox & diff oil. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. 

A plenum spacer is a good idea if the engine is a DE, seeing as you've already got an aftermarket cat-back exhaust then the only other bolt on mod is HFCs or decats really. 

An induction system will add a bit of noise and engine bay bling but won't actually give any gains.

You can get the car remapped (Uprev) but best to do this last once you've got all other performance mods in place. 

In addition to brake fluid and coolant as Azurez33 mentioned I'd also reccomend fresh gearbox & diff oil. 

It’s been a long day 😂 I knew I was missing some fluids 😂

58 minutes ago, SW66TTT said:

Thanks for the suggestions, I've read a few places a plenum spacer is beneficial so thought that would be a nice easy mod.

Those other suggestions are ideal, I fitted  short shifter to a rx7 I had years ago and made a huge difference, is there a good one you can recommend?

coolerworx seems to be the go to! 
sorry and if it’s on standard suspension I’d be looking to swap that out too 😂

• Haha 1

Don’t rush in. Drive the car and get used to it first and take your time is my advice then come up with a sensible plan. Enjoy the new purchase. Maybe try and get to the Ace meet before the deadline closes Monday and chat to a few owners and look at some Zeds in the flesh that have been modified. There a lot of knowledge on here and knowledge is power. 
Martin

• Like 2

A very good post Martin, and a good point made. I certainly used to subscribe to the same idea: do a little bit at a time, enjoy that, then move onto the next. 

And then…

I kinda realised it takes you years to get to the place where the car is perfect for you, when you could just have enjoyed it at its perfection for much longer had you smashed the upgrades in straightaway. Cos invariably the car gets to the point of perfection then you simply sell it as you’ve had it too long and fancy a change! 

Not saying either way is the right way, just another POV. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the advice, you are right I need to drive the car and get use to it first, work out any issues first then look at making changes.  This car has a long time coming, I'm now late 30s and back in my 20s I had a couple of rx7's, one in particular was a awesome car, I had to sell up and buy a house, get married, have kids etc and 15 years I need a performance Japanese car back in my life, I've always been a big fan of the 350z and now I get to own one, I have a sensible daily drive so this will be my weekend toy.  I'm not the type to keep changing cars, this is a long term purchase :) 

8 hours ago, Ekona said:

I kinda realised it takes you years to get to the place where the car is perfect for you, when you could just have enjoyed it at its perfection for much longer had you smashed the upgrades in straightaway

This ^^. 

Totally agree that you should take a little time to get used to the car first because it'll all be new to you, but once you've got a good idea of what you're happy with/want to improve then personally I'd smash out the mods as fast as funds allow. 

• Like 1

I have a 05' 350z and can recommend the VMS lightweight crank pulley, had one on for a couple of years and wished I had done it straight off the bat. Engine revs faster, sharper throttle response, easier to pulley away, nicer throttle roll on roll off, maintains OE size belts. All pros and no cons thus far.

Edited by davey_83