Potential UK 370Z Nismo Buyer - Future Values and other questions

scz4

Hi guys, 

Just joined up. I have my Jaguar F-Type V6S convertible up for sale at the moment and looking to purchase a 2 seater coupe. I'd love the  new Supra, but realistically I need to swap to a similar value car (around £30k). I think the facelift 370Z Nismo has aged really well (other than the dash and interior trim) and the old school formula really appeals.  

I'd be looking for a 2017\2018 car in white or silver. However, I'm hesitant on spending that sort of money on a 370Z. If I remember correctly, they couldn't even give them away new for that price. Concerned that the prices will fall off a cliff later this year. 

Some other questions:

Any problems to be aware of on the later cars? Read something about the clutch master cylinder issues? Any underside corrosion issues? 

How easy is it to keep clean the Alcantara seats?

Anyone put their dog in the boot? Anywhere to secure the dog?

Anyone used those Searsuckers to carry a mountain bike? 

I love to mod\enhance my car. Would definitely be looking the Tarmac Sportz resonated short tails, short shift kit and lowering springs, Eibach's are my usual choice. Any other suggestions to make it a weekend special?

Has anyone in the UK fitted a shorter diff? 3.9 or 4.1? Any off the shelf kits?

Think that's it for now. 

Edited by scz4

Hello and welcome! 

1) The issue you probably read about is with the CSC (concentric slave cylinder) which the OEM part uses a plastic backing plate, constant heating and cooling causes this to become brittle and snap which in turn means the whole unit fails. We do the TORQEN or JWT heavy duty CSC kits as a replacement, they feature a metal backing plate as well as all the lines which is much more resilient and should outlast your ownership. Corrosion is dependent on car, being Japanese they all tend to suffer in the long run, however being a 2017/18 you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. Member stay brackets and the 4 point W Brace are the main MOT failures for rust. 

TORQEN: https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/370z/powertrain/ancillaries/18779-370z-torqen-heavy-duty-concentric-slave-cylinder-csc-trq-vhr-csc.html

JWT: https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/370z/powertrain/ancillaries/20976-370z-jwt-jim-wolf-technology-heavy-duty-clutch-csc-concentric-slave-cylinder-l3507-csc00.html

2) Grab some Alcantara cleaner, it'll be the same as any other Alcantara parts so just follow the same process.

3) Zip tie the dog to the roof or squeeze him in the hatch 🤣

4) No experience myself with the Searsuckers, I suspect someone will have done though. 

5) OEM final drives available, Z1 Motorsports, Tomei, links below. 

https://www.torqen.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=OEM+Final+Drive+Gears&submit_search=

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/powertrain/differentials/75224-350z-z33-370z-z34-z1-motorsports-409-r200-final-drive-ring-and-pinion-gear.html

1 hour ago, Coz@TORQEN said:

Hello and welcome! 

1) The issue you probably read about is with the CSC (concentric slave cylinder) which the OEM part uses a plastic backing plate, constant heating and cooling causes this to become brittle and snap which in turn means the whole unit fails. We do the TORQEN or JWT heavy duty CSC kits as a replacement, they feature a metal backing plate as well as all the lines which is much more resilient and should outlast your ownership. Corrosion is dependent on car, being Japanese they all tend to suffer in the long run, however being a 2017/18 you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. Member stay brackets and the 4 point W Brace are the main MOT failures for rust. 

TORQEN: https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/370z/powertrain/ancillaries/18779-370z-torqen-heavy-duty-concentric-slave-cylinder-csc-trq-vhr-csc.html

JWT: https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/370z/powertrain/ancillaries/20976-370z-jwt-jim-wolf-technology-heavy-duty-clutch-csc-concentric-slave-cylinder-l3507-csc00.html

2) Grab some Alcantara cleaner, it'll be the same as any other Alcantara parts so just follow the same process.

3) Zip tie the dog to the roof or squeeze him in the hatch 🤣

4) No experience myself with the Searsuckers, I suspect someone will have done though. 

5) OEM final drives available, Z1 Motorsports, Tomei, links below. 

https://www.torqen.uk/search?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=OEM+Final+Drive+Gears&submit_search=

https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/powertrain/differentials/75224-350z-z33-370z-z34-z1-motorsports-409-r200-final-drive-ring-and-pinion-gear.html

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. 

Is it an engine out job to fit the uprated slave cylinder? 

Are the gears silent once installed? I've had good and bad experience with crown and pinion changes on my M3's and S2000. 

1 hour ago, Coz@TORQEN said:

Welcome along.

If you are buying a 2017 and later, apparently the CSC and the steering lock problem shouldn't be an issue to worry about. They were two things that nearly put me off buying my 2017 370Z Nismo, until I learnt that. One thing that does help preserve the CSC is regular fluid changes to keep the system clean. As for corrosion, the underside of mine looks fine.

Future values, who can really tell? Most here probably own a Z because they enjoy ownership of a relatively rare and different car, not for an investment or to worry about what it might be worth at sale time. Mine was three years old when I bought it in early 2021 - 15k miles with one owner - and I think I picked it up for a decent price of £23k, from a dealer. Mine isn't a long term keeper, two or three years, but if I can see pretty close to £20k back for it, that's fine by me.  If it's less, so be it.

Good luck in your search.  

• Like 1

All the above is great advice but having owned one myself I would say if you want a car to put your dog in the boot and bars on the roof a 370Z Nismo is not for you. 

Edited by Payco
  • Like 2

Future values, should never really buy a car for future value, certainly not anything this new.

A few of the so called expert believe the 350 is likely to be a future classic, but imagine you will need to hold on to them for at least another 10 to 15 years to make that happen.

Both 350 and 370 are great cars, more likely future regulations will kill off the fun we have in them before they really increase in value, so enjoy while you can 😁

Have you checked out my review I owned 2 Nismos both with different issues

370Z Nismo Review

Also not mentioned first one had clutch smell under load  clutch was slipping at 3000 miles

Tramlining was also an issue. Brakes were fading. Uprated hawk pads and motul solved oem brake fade. Make sure you test drive as tramlining affects some not all Nismos.

Full system as youve said is not necessary. Tails are good enough but offer minor drone. Make sure theyre resonated. 

Well done on initial research, as you cant expect us to do your homework like some people have in the past. 🤧 yes they are very slow sellers that due to the niche factor. Everyone wants what their mate has. Makes great Instagram pictures. Bahhh 😂

Edited by GranTurismoEra

8 hours ago, Payco said:

All the above is great advice but having owned one myself I would say if you want a car to put your dog in the boot and bars on the roof a 370Z Nismo is not for you. 

I second what  paco's is saying 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

I second what  paco's is saying 

How come? Why not have a fun car to drive when heading to the hills for a bike ride or hike? My weekend cars have always been setup to carry a bike. Way more fun than driving my family wagon. Really is no hassle to lift a dog into the boot and mount a bike onto the roof. People do it everyday regardless of the car type. 

Here's my current setup:

20200802_095052_da98bd92ed61a1ec91c76cc8

Hi mate its only my opinion, but there is not that much space in the boot of a 370Z for a dog, unless its not much bigger than a hamster, please don't take this comment the  wrong way, as for a bike carrier i would guess there would be on suitable on the market 

Edited by ShortPaul
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

Hi mate its only my opinion, but there is not that much space in the boot of a 370Z for a dog, unless its not much bigger than a hamster, please don't take this comment the  wrong way, as for a bike carrier i would guess there would be on suitable on the market 

I can fit more in my wallet than the boot of my Nismo, fun car but just not practical in anyway. The rear brace and luggage cover bar are both in the way for a dog imo 

I'd be getting a good priced Nismo and a cheap Focus or something for the bikes and dogs unless you already have a suitable alternate daily.

If your local ish to me im more than happy to meet up and you can take a first hand look at the space, or lack of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Test driving a 2020 Nismo tomorrow morning, looking forward to it 😃Just hope the ride is comparable or better than my F-Type or previous Z4M

Perhaps not so much for this car as it's a 2020, but how do I identify it's a post 2018 car with the uprated clutch? I know the door handles are darker, but that's a simple retro mod someone may have done. Any other way to be certain? Suspect some of these cars could have sat around a long time from being built to being sold. 

Edited by scz4

2 hours ago, scz4 said:

Test driving a 2020 Nismo tomorrow morning, looking forward to it 😃Just hope the ride is comparable or better than my F-Type or previous Z4M

Perhaps not so much for this car as it's a 2020, but how do I identify it's a post 2018 car with the uprated clutch? I know the door handles are darker, but that's a simple retro mod someone may have done. Any other way to be certain? Suspect some of these cars could have sat around a long time from being built to being sold. 

I might be wrong, but the 2017 MY has the uprated clutch as far as I'm aware.

Well I test drove the 69 plates Nismo this morning, just 6500 miles on the clock. Here's my initial thoughts:

Whilst not a fan of black cars, lovely looking car, very menacing and purposeful. Would look amazing lowered a little and with wheel spacers.

Loved the Recaro seats. When I got in I initially felt a really perched compared to the F-type, but soon settled in. Really comfortable and supportive.  Be nice if you could lower them. I was surprised by the wear to the lower side bolster for a car with only 6k miles. 

Old school, but in a positive way. Sure interior is dated and low rent materials, but that's ok with me for a weekender. In fact the entertainment system didn't bother me at all, not worse than my 2013 F-Type, wouldn't put me off buying it. No creaks or rattles.  Quite a lot of cabin noise, that was the first thing I noticed when up to speed, suspect it would make long trips quite tiring. Bose system is ok, nothing special. 

Car felt brisk, but never fast. Pulls well from about 5000rpm to 6500rpm. Too tall geared IMO, would really benefit from a shorter ratio diff to liven things up. Little lacking low down, but that's to be excepted coming from a supercharged V6. Again diff would help with that.

Artificial engine noise didn't actually bother me, but definitely needs and aftermarket exhaust. Super quiet for a car of that nature. Didn't have much drama to it.

So much mechanical grip, loads of grip and corners very flat. This was the highlight for sure. Was expecting the ride to be choppy after reading many reviews. But oddly the traction control light was flickering constantly on third gear pulls. Never felt it intervene, but it was going crazy nonetheless, it's not that powerful to be wanting to spin the wheels and as we know, not much torque. Had Goodyear F1’s with loads of tread.

Steering was very nicely weighted, heavy but not too heavy, very direct too. An improvement on F-type, even though both are hydraulic. 

Really needs a digital speedo on the taco. Very difficult to read your speed which is fine on the open road, but not in town.

Super strong brakes and look fantastic.

Didn't like the high biting point on the clutch, had hoped the uprated clutch from 2018 onwards had sorted that. I know you can replace the pedal.

Car reminded me of the Z4M coupe (I had the roadster), but way more competent, the Z4M always felt flawed despite the amazing engine.

Exhaust pipes look corroded internally. Was not expecting that, but would be getting replaced anyway :)

Suspect it will gobble the fuel and be a lot worse than my F-type 

F-type feels, sounds and looks more special,  but 370Z is perhaps a more focussed car and definitely better handling 

So what next?? Well when the F-type sells (absolutely no rush) I'd been really keen to drive the Supra and see if it's worth the extra expense. If I went for the 370Z, it would be white or silver and would definitely change the clutch pedal, throw on a short shifter, lower it by 10/15mm, short tails and wheel spacers. The longer run look at Diff options. That would make for a very interactive, entertaining and competent weekender, with just about the right power for the road.  

PXL_20220528_082754856.jpg.dc03390f7898b91260eec37b4d509004.jpgPXL_20220528_093114357.jpg.667585815d2d8e495c2ee928273480b6.jpgPXL_20220528_092121392.jpg.a7355067f35002e8b1220e4be3c0e3e0.jpg

Edited by scz4
  • Like 2

Don't suppose you took note of the tyre sizes ? unless it was very wet or slick roads I wouldn't expect the TC light in 3rd doing pulls....

I'd be taking a much closer look at that Z before parting  with any money, that corrosion in the exhaust really does not look right for the age and miles. 

15 minutes ago, Willsy1980 said:

Don't suppose you took note of the tyre sizes ? unless it was very wet or slick roads I wouldn't expect the TC light in 3rd doing pulls....

I'd be taking a much closer look at that Z before parting  with any money, that corrosion in the exhaust really does not look right for the age and miles. 

No I didn't, but good tyres, with loads of tread.  They must be the original tyres as car has only done 6000 miles and it was an elderly lady who traded it in for a Mini Countryman as she couldn't get her grandsons buggy in the boot. 1 owner car.  As I said, I couldn't feel the system intervene and the car felt good, but was definitely flashing from 4000rpm or so. Perhaps an alignment issue, although again, the handling was fantastic. Definitively the most impressive aspect of the car. 

I won't be buying that one anyway, don't like black cars. Just wanted to know if they're renowned for that. I didn't turn the traction control off on the test drive to see if it felt different. 

Edited by scz4

Was more thinking if its had new tyres for some reason and they have fitted the wrong sizes, that can send the ESP mental. If factory tyres they would have been Bridgestone Potenzas.

Ive never had mine flash on a dry road in 3rd at 4000rpm in a straight line, few times out of a corner if really pushing on but just seems a bit weird.

Hi mate those aren't the original tyres, the nismo came with Dunlop sport max, did you say it has a super charger on it? or am reading your post incorrectly? If it has then the manufacturer warranty will be void, just some food for thought 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Hi mate those aren't the original tyres, the nismo came with Dunlop sport max, did you say it has a super charger on it? or am reading your post incorrectly? If it has then the manufacturer warranty will be void, just some food for thought 

Sounds like it has had a new set of tyres then. Thanks, one to keep an eye out on other potential cars. 

Ah no, I was comparing the performance to the the supercharged V6 engine in my F-Type. 

16 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

I stand corrected, don't know why I though Bridgestones ? All I know is they are crap :lol:

But knew 100% those were not stock tyres :) 

• Like 1

Goodyears are not amazing I had them on my Nismo. Id only go for Michelin PS4S or equivalent on this car. Traction light on third is common on Z with lower quality tires. 

Bridgestones are trash. Id change them immediately.

Supra is a smaller car, smaller cabin and you should probably wait for the manual option. If not the gearing on the auto is good. Quick shifts shorter ratios and a Turbo. 

Used examples 10k more expensive. Some common issues on specific model year Supras