Help identify rattle on light throttle

StormtrooperZ

Exhaust. Get the car on a ramp/jack and take a peek under. If you can't see anything obvious, it could be a cat/cat heat shield or a blown gasket. Doesn't sound like a gasket but I'm not sure what exhaust you're running and how old the car is. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Umster said:

Exhaust. Get the car on a ramp/jack and take a peek under. If you can't see anything obvious, it could be a cat/cat heat shield or a blown gasket. Doesn't sound like a gasket but I'm not sure what exhaust you're running and how old the car is. 

2013MY. Cobra exhaust fitted with stock cats. It's been on ramps previously, but nothing obviously wrong visually.

I'd say the sounds coming from right under the centre console/dash.

Will look into the cats. Thanks. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HEADPHONES said:

Have you checked the oil level?

May need a top up or an oil change.

I'd be surprised if it's the oil. I always keep on top of services and regular oil changes etc. But will have a check.

I've got my front lip to install this weekend, so will get it up on ramps and have a good look underneath.

Cheers!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StormtrooperZ said:

2013MY. Cobra exhaust fitted with stock cats. It's been on ramps previously, but nothing obviously wrong visually.

Definitely the gaskets then. I bought a car with Cobra HFC and exhaust. The gaskets were blown to ashes - spray some soapy water onto the exhaust flanges and anywhere an exhaust leak might be before you turn the car on. Once on the ramp you'll see the water spitting if there's a leak/blown gasket. 

Get an exhaust shop to make gaskets or as H Dev told me, just buy and use Nissan OEM gaskets. They're miles better than the ones supplied with aftermarket exhausts. 

• Like 1

Edited, saw it was an auto 😂

I wouldnt worry personally. Would agree about cheap aftermarket gaskets though, they never last. Lot of heat goes through our exhaust systems 

Edited by Olly350z
  • Like 1

Thanks all, I had a good look underneath, nothing obvious. Did notice a heat shield that rattled a fair bit. So reckon it's that and/or a gasket. Will get someone to check the exhaust thoroughly the next time it's in the garage. 

P.s Evo-r lip is on. Fits ok. Not great. A couple of big gaps either side of the carbon centre piece which I filled in with some sealant. Very happy with the looks though, compliments the mirror caps and duckbill perfectly 😎

20220430_184210.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I have a rattling Catalyst shield on 62 plate GT Edition. I just live with it till I get HFC or replacement. 

Yeah could be the same on mine. But we had to give it a proper good whack to make it rattle while on the ramps, so assuming it's an issue inside the cat with bits breaking off? 

Will keep an eye/ear on it, see if it gets worse and will look out for some 2nd hand or deals on new cats, cos they're not cheap! 

1 hour ago, Jack94 said:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to upgrade to HFCs. Cheaper than oem & decent power gains, what's not to love 😁 (unless you really don't want any increase in exhaust volume).

It is indeed! I love the idea of the hfcs, but don't fancy an obnoxiously loud exhaust! My zeds also mapped, so imagine I'd have to remap it once the hfcs go on. Have much pondering to do! 

Is the rest of your exhaust oem at the moment?

But yeah I'd definitely reccomend a remap if you do go down the HFC route to get the best gains, and also turn off the post cat O2 sensors to eliminate the risk of them triggering the EML. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Is the rest of your exhaust oem at the moment?

But yeah I'd definitely reccomend a remap if you do go down the HFC route to get the best gains, and also turn off the post cat O2 sensors to eliminate the risk of them triggering the EML. 

No it's a Cobra CBE with stock cats at the moment. I'm leaning towards HFCs and a remap 👍

Sorry to semi hijack this one. I assume the cats will be the same on the Nismo, can you send me the part numbers/cat codes when you swap them.

Im going to get HFC's on mine but will scrap my current cats with the local scrap dealers, should get a decent bit of cashback for the precious metals, i'd expect they cover about half the cost of HFC's. But for a price I need the codes :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Apparently the old 350z cats are only good for around 100k max. Mine started the rattle, have now replaced with sports cars and custon made exhaust, no more rattling thats for sure.

Did not like the idea of no cat, 2 reasons, 1 it is illegal and 2 while I understand easy to put cat back on for mot, feels like too much effort 🤣