Exhausted with exhausts

z350convert

This is probably the most controversial topic on here because “one man’s meat” etc

I’ve been waiting for the funds to change my 2010 370z exhaust system. At the moment it’s original but I got rid of the stock dustbin full of cotton wool and put Tarmac short tails on. Sounds good but I still want to do the whole catback system.

Reading all the reviews and listening to videos usually identifies the one for me and then I see a bum review and it’s back to the drawing board. 

I want what most want, something throaty and fun but no drone on motorways at about £1.2k

invidia Gemini is always a favourite, if you can get one. I thought the Cobra set up was good and British made with full guarantee but then I read it was “drone central”. Stolen, Ark, Miltek all quite a lot more money with mixed reports and Japspeed everyone seems to spit at.

There is the HF Cats side of things but that’s more money and issues declaring it to insurer and re maps I suppose. Maybe another life time.

One more thing while I think of it. The stock system has hanging rubber cotton reel things which I imagine suppress vibration. Why don’t any of the stainless sporty jobs offer these I wonder?

All helpful comments welcome.

I have an invidia gemini on my 350z and can't reccomend it enough. Lovely tone without being abnoxiously loud (even with HFCs) and brilliant quality. 

Miltek is a good shout and probably around the same price point, their stuff is usually very well made although I've heard it's not much louder than OEM. 

Ark and Stillen are great options too, but a bit more expensive as you say. 

Japspeed is cheap and cheerful, you get what you pay for so it's never going to be amazing (probably won't fit properly and drone a lot). 

Lastly I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Cobra, some people seem to love them but I've also seen a lot of posts about issues with welds, rust, rattling, drone etc. 

I imagine the "cotton reels" are probably mass dampers, aftermarket systems probably just have no need for them. 

Check my Akrapovic I have for sale here on the forum,will save you some cash and probably give you the sound you after 👌

3 hours ago, z350convert said:

This is probably the most controversial topic on here because “one man’s meat” etc

I’ve been waiting for the funds to change my 2010 370z exhaust system. At the moment it’s original but I got rid of the stock dustbin full of cotton wool and put Tarmac short tails on. Sounds good but I still want to do the whole catback system.

Reading all the reviews and listening to videos usually identifies the one for me and then I see a bum review and it’s back to the drawing board. 

I want what most want, something throaty and fun but no drone on motorways at about £1.2k

invidia Gemini is always a favourite, if you can get one. I thought the Cobra set up was good and British made with full guarantee but then I read it was “drone central”. Stolen, Ark, Miltek all quite a lot more money with mixed reports and Japspeed everyone seems to spit at.

There is the HF Cats side of things but that’s more money and issues declaring it to insurer and re maps I suppose. Maybe another life time.

One more thing while I think of it. The stock system has hanging rubber cotton reel things which I imagine suppress vibration. Why don’t any of the stainless sporty jobs offer these I wonder?

All helpful comments welcome.

• Like 1

I've actually been researching into this topic for the last 2-3 years. First of all exhaust sounds are like exterior looks, it comes down to your ear and what you think sounds good. Some people love a single exit straight piped and the others a stock system all comes down to personal preference. But in this instance you sound like your looking for something similar to me so I think my input might be of help. First of all I had a 350z and it came with an awful cheap Japspeed K4 system, which was 'tinny' and 'droney' so bought an Invidia Cat-back system and I was so pleased with it, stock sounding under 4k revs then a nice deep sporty sound when you open it up. I then had a completely stock system on my next 350z which I really enjoyed as I could hear more engine and intake noise which gave a more muscle car acoustic to the cabin. I now have a Mk1 370z Nismo and like you had short tails on which sounded okay but were just cheap with a bad rasp top end. One thing to state is the 350z do sound different to the 370z and the exhaust systems clarify that. I've now switched back to the HKS Nismo system that was standard with the car new. Loving it so far but do want something with more noise further on down the line hence me watching nearly every single Youtube video for every exhaust system for 370z.

I'll just list a few of the popular ones.

Invidia Gemini - Probably the best value for money, never heard anyone who was disappointed with this system. Stock sounding low down with deep tone up top. Also exhaust prices on most other systems seemed to have increased by quite a bit which makes the Invidia even more appealing.

Injen system - An awesome sounding exhaust with beautiful tips, again not too loud but has a really nice tone.

Greddy - similar to Injen, top quality as expected

Ark Grip - One of the best but also expensive, the design of the resonators and how they sit are absolutely stunning

Motordyne - IMO the absolutely daddy, best looking, quality and sound but also very expensive

After years and years of debating which exhaust to go for, I opted for a custom build set up and highly recommend. As long as you go to a reputable outlet, the quality will be excellent and noise can be made to suit - plus it'll come with a lifetime warranty.

1814568562_IMG_20200605_191741154_HDR2.jpg.a068a229828366dfd71a0638e856f56d.jpg.3b9238661013f220685cf80b02de1a49.jpg

While Indivia systems are great, you'll go to next month's Japfest and they'll be 30 other Z with the same exhaust which personally put me off as I like unique. Cobra I excluded for the same reason and didn't want detachable tips. I do however like the recent offering from Scorpion, they might do something similar for the Z34. Motordyne cat back, Tomei and Ark, lovely again lots of £££ when I had a decent enough Toyosport already fitted to the car.

The above I have coupled with the motordyne ART pipes with their XYZ y pipe with HFC. For me this is the perfect set up and everyone always comments on how lovely it sounds, deep bassy tone, with zero drone or rasp.

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for an Invidia Gemini. Found a good price at VIP Motorsport but I have to wait about four weeks for it to come from USA. Have a slight concern it may be a bit quiet after my short tails but better for the Memsahib on motorways.

i will retain the short tails and see if anyone on here wants to buy them.

Thanks for all the advice and photos

41 minutes ago, z350convert said:

Well I’ve bitten the bullet and gone for an Invidia Gemini. Found a good price at VIP Motorsport but I have to wait about four weeks for it to come from USA. Have a slight concern it may be a bit quiet after my short tails but better for the Memsahib on motorways.

We've had 20 Invidia's for 350z and 370z on order in the USA since Feb 2021 and we're still outstanding loads of them. Invidia have said they can't see improvement anytime soon on their production levels. 

On 25/03/2022 at 15:58, z350convert said:

I did offer you my 100 mile old system.. you could have had it for £600.. no good to me as I can't drive my car any more due to a spinal injury, so have returned it to stock to sell.

On 31/03/2022 at 07:41, ibrakeformoose said:

I did offer you my 100 mile old system.. you could have had it for £600.. no good to me as I can't drive my car any more due to a spinal injury, so have returned it to stock to sell.

Invidia Gemini exhaust for a 370z? 

@Lewis Schwier youre right about Short Tails. They do have a slight drone and rasp at certain revs. Also having an automatic it will probably be quieter for me at motorway speeds. 

My 370 mate got a custom Y setup single exit ISR and its resonated. It sounds really good. Quiet on cruise but can still hear the rumble inside. No drone, no rattle smooth sound. 

He got that from Kostas. Only thing for me personally while it sounds good when sending it its not loud enough for me personally. Looks neat though. 

@Olly350z if youre selling let me know 👀

• 2 weeks later...

Well done with snapping up this bargain, I had already committed to ordering one from the US.

Anyway, I ordered through VIP Motorsport who were very helpful and found two available in the US. I chose rolled stainless and the box arrived at my place exactly three weeks later.