Clutch help

G1en

So today was practice day getting ready for sprint/hillclimb season. All was going well until i went to change down to second and it would not go into gear, lifted my left foot to try again and clutch was stuck to floor. My first thoughts were cooked fluid (again) but the fluid looks fine, last changed poss 18-24 months back but i do syphon out and replace the reservoir every couple of months. Only ever use motol RBF top spec stuff. 
after being towed to paddock and leaving car to cool down for 2 hours i could select gears when ignition was off and the clutch pedal had come back but i could not select any gear when i started the car. Left it another hour, same thing so stuck it in 1st with engine off, started car with clutch down and it bumped off, then i could select all gears again, drove it home fine. 
so i am trying to figure out the problem as i dont want it happening again, especially if im at an event miles away from home. 
i already have the uprated xtreme clutch and CSC kit, braided lines, and i have heat wrapped everything i can under the car as i have had this problem twice before, is it the master cylinder? as thats the only thing i havent replaced, or something else? The car was hot but it was only about 7 degrees external and i was only doing a second consecutive run which makes me think the fluid shouldn’t have been close to boiling. 
is there anything i can try before replacing parts or should i just get a master cylinder and new fluid and try that?

final point, reservoir stayed at maximum, no fluid loss, if anything it was slightly higher than max after clutch went to floor (which may mean master is gone) or just normal expansion at temp.

• Like 1

I would recommend flushing the fluid again and swapping it out for RBF700 (one up from RBF660) to see if this fixes your issue, 2 years is a pretty long time if you're racing the car regularly. If this doesn't change anything, it's worth checking the CSC for leaks as this is usually the prime culprit for a sticky clutch pedal on HR's and 370z's - I know you said it was recently changed to an uprated one but it's still a possibility.

Providing none of this works, as Sim said, it'll be the master cylinder which needs changing. I'd recommend going for an uprated Wilwood or Tilton cylinder since the car is used for Sprint/Hillclimb. 

Available here: https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/powertrain/ancillaries/6357-350z-de-torqen-wilwood-heavy-duty-clutch-master-cylinder-trq-350zhr-wmc.html 

24 minutes ago, G1en said:

Cheers, just ordered the wilwood master and some more rbf fluid from you. Will get that done and see how it goes.

That's great, thanks for your order! My colleague just shipped it now so you'll have everything with you tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...