2022 UHP Tyre reviews

davey_83

Great to see the progression being made. Thought this staggered test suited our application, rather than a hot hatch test. For a manufacturer, seems a no brainer to fit the best UHP tyre available at the time. The Nankang in the wet was a decent showing too. 

Edited by davey_83

Interesting watch. Personally I would be buying the level down for fast road and all round. Very happy with my PS4 I got yesterday. 

Shame they still don't understand how to visualise data or how to use bar charts properly 🤣

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DoogyRev said:

Will be interesting to see if they do the new PS5's in the next review, they are supposed to be even better than than the PS4S 🍿

Ah, but due to the chip shortage you’ll only be able to buy them from scalpers for an inflated price for the first 2 years….

(the worst part is, I’m not even sorry. Even the pun :teeth:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Umster said:

Does anyone even swap over to winter tyres when the temps drop? 

I do .... but then again I live in Canada where Winter Tyres are actually mandatory between October and April for some roads. Even where we live in the valley this winter we had a good month with snow/Ice on the roads. 

For our truck we have winter tyres and all season tyres for summer, I am planning on getting all season on my Mustang for next winter (its got summer tyres only at the minute) ..... not that I am planning to drive it much in the crappy wether 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, stevezzz said:

I would think tyre W***ers was more appropriate

I would tick that box then 🤣

To be fair I've always been fond of fitting the best tyres you can reasonably afford, especially on a performance car. Without question the biggest difference feel wise to a car like the Z33 or Z34 would be to go from mixed budget tyres to a set of UHP from Continental, Michelin or Goodyear. 

You should see the GTR club at Japfest, 95% fitted with MPS4's or 4S other than that the OE Bridgestone, track day semi slicks or Eagle F1 Supersports. By far the most popular tyre on our club stand was again Michelin, so there's more of us than you think. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I would tick that box then 🤣

To be fair I've always been fond of fitting the best tyres you can reasonably afford, especially on a performance car. Without question the biggest difference feel wise to a car like the Z33 or Z34 would be to go from mixed budget tyres to a set of UHP from Continental, Michelin or Goodyear. 

You should see the GTR club at Japfest, 95% fitted with MPS4's or 4S other than that the OE Bridgestone, track day semi slicks or Eagle F1 Supersports. By far the most popular tyre on our club stand was again Michelin, so there's more of us than you think. 

I like Knobblies myself

mcqueen-metisse-1-768x650-c-default.jpg

• Like 1

Everyone remembers their first set of aftermarket wheels. Possibly another tread but mine were the TSW Catalunya 17' with Marangoni Zeta tyres - I thought I had arrived 😄

4355c68s-960.jpg.346c72aeb821b32a1d15b7208d2a8d78.jpg

Edited by davey_83
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm running the PS5 on the MX5 for mixed road and track use, enjoying it so far and there's no shortage of grip on the road, it does get a bit cooked on track after 15 mins or so. Which got me wondering is there something out there that's better (in a 17 inch size) for the track but without going full semi slick and having to change wheels at track or stay indoors when it's raining?