New Z33 'HR' owner

HXD

Hello! First time 350Z / JDM / RWD owner near Bristol. 😄

Picked up my car a couple of weeks ago, trading up from a rascally Abarth 595 Comp.

Have done a few little mods already, including gloss black 'Z' badges front and rear and a new leather 'classic Nismo' gear shifter*.

Alas, she also came with a tiny radiator leak as well, so just about to pull the trigger on some Mishimoto silicone hoses and a matching Mishi rad to go with them.

Will be at 'Festival of Speed' later this year (try to go every year) but also looking at JDM Combe as well now. I had a driving school day in a Lotus there a couple of years back and loved it.

*didn't fancy fondling a stranger's knackered old knob in my new car

350z-hr-2.jpg

Edited by HXD
Say "No!" to Mishimoto
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Hi and welcome along buddy. Nice looking car. Its in desperate need of some spacers...:lol:

You know, I've been thinking about that since before I got it. Any recommendations for spacer widths to use with the RAYS wheels?

• Like 1

hello,buddy,welcome to the club.lovely looking z there mate.can i ask,what side skirts they are?

and can you get a ramp leg/jack on the jacking points easy with them?really like them,im after some but dont want to comprimise ease of ramp use.

cheers

• Thanks 1

Welcome! god that’s a bit of a change up! good to see you’ve chosen well she looks nice! 

lots of great info to be shared here! As mr muxlow mentioned bigger wheels or spacers would be good to fill the arches! 

as you’re going the mishimoto route I’m currently selling a second hand mishimoto fan shroud- should still have the lifetime warranty. Just message I’f interested hopefully not breaking any forum rules here! 

Hopefully see you at jdm combe 

• Thanks 1

On 23/02/2022 at 10:20, SPAXY said:

hello,buddy,welcome to the club.lovely looking z there mate.can i ask,what side skirts they are?

and can you get a ramp leg/jack on the jacking points easy with them?really like them,im after some but dont want to comprimise ease of ramp use.

cheers

They came already on the car, but they're Maxton items – these ones I believe:

https://www.maxtondesign.co.uk/nissan-350z

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Nice to see some peeps in here fairly local to me / my hometown. Originally Weston-s-Mare now in South Wales. Work in Bristol will keep an eye out for ya.

Give me a shout if any meets come up. Enjoy your new Zed :) she looks lovely

Hey all, thanks for the warm welcomes. So I've had a bit of a nightmare getting my radiator sorted, and figured it's worth sharing the experience here for others…

As originally stated in opening post, I ordered a brand new Mishimoto radiator for my HR to replace the slightly leaking OEM unit that came with my Z. I got the car and parts to my mechanic no problem – still perfectly driveable at the time, just not mint – and they set about dismantling and removing the OEM rad.

So they get to the part where they need to start fitting the Mishimoto unit... and it just doesn't fit. Doesn't matter how they position the unit, the mounts on the Mishimoto do not line up with the factory holes on the frame. Seems like the mounts on the Mishimoto had been welded about a 1/4 inch out of alignment. We triple-checked the specs on what was supposed to be in the box, and it was labelled for a 2007–2009 model. So we didn't really understand what's gone wrong, except for a manufacturing / quality control defect on Mishimoto's end.

Cue my mechanic having to then put the old rad back in and redo all the plumbing, as I needed the car back asap. Followed by two weeks of back and forth trying to get a return and refund from Mishimoto—which is still on-going. They said they didn't recognise the serial number at one point, even with a photograph… which didn't really surprise me, given the rest of this fiasco.

Ended up getting a second-hand OEM radiator off @ZMANALEX – he really is a superhero – and got that fitted with no problems at all. Elsewhere, I'm told Mishimoto have "recently undergone restructuring" and their customer service has massively suffered as a result, so I wouldn't touch their stuff with a barge-pole based on this experience.

Picture of the botched Mishimoto radiator below…

mishi-oh-no.jpg

Edited by HXD
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2022 at 19:24, Charlie350z said:

Just bought a HR similar to yours, in Somerset too, be up for a meet up one day 👍

Hey that's awesome, welcome to the forums! There's a mini-meet in the making for May or June, somewhere near Bristol - shout if you want in.