Keyfob re-programming after battery disconnect

350_Jer

Evening all, I'm just sorting the last bits on my car after it's been off the road for a couple of years.

As the battery was disconnected, both my keyfobs have lost their link with my car.

I've put a new battery in each, and tried both the re-programming procedures that have been linked to on here, one is where you start off by putting the key in and out the ignition barrel 6 times, and the other starts where you turn from lock to on 6 times and I can't get either to work.

Is there another method to try before I call in a mobile locksmith to re-program for me? I can use the key to lock the car, but when I unlock it and open the door, the alarm goes off, which then stops once the ignition is turned on. Car starts fine so immobiliser is still working, just can't lock and unlock with either fob.

Thanks

(55 plate DE)

This has brought back painful memories, had to do the same on mine and it took an age. I assume you’re trying the method that’s in this thread? 

If not, try that. If you are, don’t mean to be an arse but check the new fob battery is good and correctly oriented. Then just keep at it. Took me plenty of goes, think I was a bit slow on the key turning to start with. 

Is there any step you get to in the process where it fails, or just a complete nothing?

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes that's one of the methods that I found online, I haven't managed to get it into programming mode yet where the indicators flash twice, so guess my speed on the key turning is at fault!

I'll have another try tomorrow, and will double check the batteries in the fobs although I was very careful when replacing them.

Is your car a JDM? if it is you could try the method I found below pasted in from a post a few years ago. I found it by trying slightly different variations until I found one that worked. It might be worth a try.

I finally managed to get my JDM to store the key ID codes after much searching and trying different sequences, so thought I would share it with other members in case they are having similar issues. Not sure if this applies to all JDM or just early 350 JDM models, mine is a 02/03.

There are many different ways online that tell you how to do UK and US cars but none of them work on the JDM models, the main difference is that you do not get any flash of lights/hazard/indicators to tell you when it is in programming mode. The key to the JDM is that it unlocks the doors when it enters program mode.

1. Sit in the car and lock the doors using the drivers door lock switch on the door handle not the one with the window buttons. The lock on the control panel only locks the passenger door but the door switch in the handle locks both doors.

2. Insert and pull out the key 6 times within 10 seconds until the door unlocks (no lights flash) do not take out the key when the door unlocks. The door unlocks when you insert the key for the sixth time, If you take the key out and insert it again it will not program.

3. Turn the key to the acc postion and then lock the doors with the same button you used in step 1.

4. Push the unlock button on the key and the doors will unlock if succesful.

5. Remove key and open doors.

I have tried this a number of times and works everytime, I just need to test it with a couple of keys or an extra keyfob but I suspect I will just need to lock the door and put a key in ignition and follow steps 2 and 3.

I searched and could not find this method detailed here anywhere so hopefully it will help other users :) I just need to see if I can find one of the ebay keyfobs now that works on the JDM frequencies to use as a spare.

Mines a UK one, that's the other method I printed out and tried before I found out it was for a JDM! Thanks for the reply though :thumbs:

Think I know where I'm going wrong, I haven't left the key in the ignition after turning it on to cancel the alarm before I start the programming procedure. Got home late today so will give it try tomorrow if I'm home earlier.

Had another go at this the other day, and it worked first time!

Here's a good explanation of the method I found in the link that Stu posted above in case it helps anyone else out:

Car MUST be unlocked either with a functioning key fob or by switching the ignition on to defeat the alarm via onboard transponder using the key fob you need to program. Then leave that key in the ignition.

BOTH doors must be unlocked, either by blipping the unlock button twice or reaching over and unlocking the passenger side manually.

Then do the ignition switch LOCK to ON and back trick six times in ten seconds - the ignition will be OFF at the end of the sequence.

Leave the key in the ignition, the indicators WILL flash twice. If they don't you aren't in Register Mode. Take the key out, lock and unlock the car, set the alarm off, turn on the ignition, unlock the passenger door.

Start again. Don't despair.

After the indicators have flashed twice ( or you hear the relay click twice if it's daylight ) press AND HOLD the UNLOCK button on the keyfob, press and release the LOCK button three times THEN ( and ONLY then ) release the UNLOCK button.

It doesn't always work first time!

If you DON'T see/hear the indicators flash once, simply start again from press and hold, there's no need to go right back to square one.

When you eventually DO see the single flash, you've programmed your key fob 😀

You have also UNPROGRAMMED any other keyfob you might have...👿

REMOVE the key you have just programmed from the ignition - DO NOT switch the ignition on or move the key from the O/LOCK position.

Put your next key into the ignition, DO NOT turn the ignition on ( as that would restart the registration process and unregister the keyfob you've just registered! ) simply do the HOLD/PRESS X 3/RELEASE routine as often as you need to to see the single flash that confirms that your second keyfob has been accepted.

THEN switch the ignition on with the last key you programmed.

You WILL see two indicator flashes if you have succeeded.

If you don't, or all the keys don't work when you try them, then it's back to the top of the page 😕

• Like 1