New wheels coming, tyre advice needed 🙏

RoadHog

Hello

I have some new wheels coming in the coming weeks:

Cosmis XT-006R 

- 18x9.5” ET10 (Front)

- 18x11” ET8 (Rear)

And 15mm spacers to clear brembos on the front

Being new to custom wheels and getting the right fitment I'm after some advice on what tyre sizes I can or should run (bearing in mind I will also be lowing on tein coilovers in the next couple months)

I'm thinking 255/35 front and 285/35 in the rear (so I'm not running too much stretch) but can still lower nicely (rears are already rolled)

Will these work / look even?

285 sounds huge to me but they probably aren't in the grand scheme of things.

I want a good look but I also don't want to be running extra weight where I don't need to 

Sorry for the newbie questions and thanks in advance 

IMG_20220208_163135_921.jpg

14 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

I’m literally running similar sizes for alloys apart from 10.5s on the rear and I’m running the same widths just different profiles, just Defintely check your clearances 

Thats good to hear. I have checked measurements and looks like the should fit, also did a comparison table (attached)

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

What tyres are you planning on using in those sizes?

I'm thinking 255/35 front and 285/35 in the rear (so I'm not running too much stretch) but can still lower nicely (rears are already rolled)284324861_Tyrewheelscomparison.jpg.0335d40cd7772fcbaf3b7cf412252f77.jpg

52 minutes ago, RoadHog said:

Thats good to hear. I have checked measurements and looks like the should fit, also did a comparison table (attached)

I'm thinking 255/35 front and 285/35 in the rear (so I'm not running too much stretch) but can still lower nicely (rears are already rolled)284324861_Tyrewheelscomparison.jpg.0335d40cd7772fcbaf3b7cf412252f77.jpg

Sizes I got, but which tyres???

12 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Sizes I got, but which tyres???

Ahh sorry

Not 100% sure yet iI have a good tyre guy that will guide me though the best options, budget vs high end etc once I have chosen the sizes, but leaning towards either Kumho all round PS71s and PS91s 

Though I may push the boat out and go for Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on the fronts

any reccomendations?

5 hours ago, SPAXY said:

stunning wheels ,definitely get some photos up when they are on.

SPAXY - Just seen your thread on looking for some new wheels, if you like the style of these cosmis im getting highly recommend checking out the other colours or the Cosmis 206Rs as well if you want multispoke

They do loads of colours, including bronze and hyper bronze, as well as machined lip or machined spoke options

couple links below for you (i havent filtered these down to vehicle or specs just for the photos but have a gander hope it helps

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/buy-wheel-offset/XT206FF-1895-38-5x114+3-BHB2/cosmis-racing-xt-206r-ff-18x95-38

https://www.torqen.uk/wheels/cosmis/cosmis-xt006r/15924-cosmis-racing-xt-006r-black-with-machined-lip-20-x-95-10-offset-5x1143-bolt-pattern-731mm-hub-xt006r-2095-10-5x1143-bml.html

https://www.torqen.uk/wheels/cosmis/cosmis-xt006r/15939-cosmis-racing-xt-006r-bronze-18-x-95-10-offset-5x1143-bolt-pattern-731mm-hub-xt006r-1895-10-5x1143-br.html

https://www.torqen.uk/wheels/cosmis/cosmis-xt006r/15937-cosmis-racing-xt-006r-hyper-bronze-18-x-95-10-offset-5x1143-bolt-pattern-731mm-hub-xt006r-1895-10-5x1143-hbr.html

https://www.torqen.uk/wheels/cosmis/cosmis-xt006r/15961-cosmis-racing-xt-006r-black-with-machined-spokes-18-x-11-8-offset-5x1143-bolt-pattern-731mm-hub-xt006r-1811-8-5x1143-bms.html

https://www.torqen.uk/639-cosmis

I ran MPSS for the last two years before replacing them with MPS4S @ October last year.  The MPSS replaced P Zeros, which on or in a warm climate were a fantastic tyre, get close to their minimum temp range and I mean within above 7 or 8 deg and they were a danger to life!

The MPSS performed superbly, again in dry/warmer temps and were only marginally better than the P Zeros but there was a significant improvement over the P Zeros in colder, damper weather.

The MPS4S are no doubt a great summer tyre (not ran them in the summer yet), but over the winter that’s just past they’ve only just very slightly been better over what I felt with the P Zeros, not a great improvement at all.

i know they’re all primarily summer tyres but when the question is “ wallet friendly” who can afford two sets of wheels with summer and winter tyres?   I think there’s probably better, cheaper all rounders out there that don’t suffer the catastrophic fall off of P Zeros and or the MPS4S.

unfortunately when you’re talking 19” with the type of width and profile that the 350/370 requires, none of them are that ‘wallet friendly’ for this category.

Just my most recent experience, I’m no tyre guru.....

Edited by The G Man

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

I ran MPSS for the last two years before replacing them with MPS4S @ October last year.  The MPSS replaced P Zeros, which on or in a warm climate were a fantastic tyre, get close to their minimum temp range and I mean within above 7 or 8 deg and they were a danger to life!

The MPSS performed superbly, again in dry/warmer temps and were only marginally better than the P Zeros but there was a significant improvement over the P Zeros in colder, damper weather.

The MPS4S are no doubt a great summer tyre (not ran them in the summer yet), but over the winter that’s just past they’ve only just very slightly been better over what I felt with the P Zeros, not a great improvement at all.

i know they’re all primarily summer tyres but when the question is “ wallet friendly” who can afford two sets of wheels with summer and winter tyres?   I think there’s probably better, cheaper all rounders out there that don’t suffer the catastrophic fall off of P Zeros and or the MPS4S.

unfortunately when you’re talking 19” with the type of width and profile that the 350/370 requires, none of them are that ‘wallet friendly’ for this category.

Just my most recent experience, I’m no tyre guru.....

Wow. Thanks for the info and experience advice that's great. That's some huge tyres man. What car you running them on? Have you got a super wide kit?

Any thoughts about pros and cons going for a wider tyre on stock performance?

You may have actually helped me lean even more towards the Kumhos now as they are a bit more "wallet friendly" and have great wet weather performance (apparently)  haven't experienced them myself before but they are better rated than what I have been using on stock which are the Apollos (which I highly recommend for a budget tyre) Used 2 sets of 4 in last 4 years

PI’m no expert by any manner of means, I run MPS4S on my present Mustang, I’ve used MPSS on both my 370’s, GT and Nismo, as well as the Mustang.

i Don’t think you can get them any more but I ran Ultrac Sessanta (Vredstein) on the GT as well.  The Nismo came with Bridgestones IIRC but in any case I only ever used Bridgestones on my RX8, they were superb (REO55), many haters off them on here tho, but my experience on track, multiple alpine passes, Euro roadtrips was a good one.  Still an expensive tyre.

Bear in mind, no matter the tyre, if you don’t drive to the conditions, even Lewis Hamilton will end up backwards in a hedge, I think that’s the key with any choice

As to pro’s/cons to a wider set up, playing about with ratio or width won’t do much harm if it’s minor, example, going from a 275 to a 28 or 95 width, I’ve run spacers on 370’s and Mustang, purely for stance aesthetics and with my limited ability, I’ve experienced no negative side effects

Edited by The G Man
  • Like 1

On 12/02/2022 at 15:15, Azurez33 said:

If you’re stuck on what to go with: have a look at here- https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm 

This is how I up working out what I wanted/ needed vs what I could afford 😂 just make sure you get the tracking done properly! 

Thanks for this mate haha perfect. Will do 

• 4 weeks later...

PIC HEAVY...

Wheels and tyres are on ! Bit of poke currently and rear arches need rolling, possibly pulling, and will be putting it on coilovers in very near future then get a good alignment job done, ...but I'm loving the look of it already 

Cosmis XT-006R 

- 18x9.5” ET10 (Front) Kumho Ecsta PS71 255/35 (15mm Direnza spacers to clear brembos on the front)

- 18x11” ET8 (Rear) Kumho Ecsta PS91 285/35 

20220305_174950.jpg

20220306_181254.jpg

20220306_181002.jpg

20220306_141015.jpg

20220306_140942.jpg

20220306_140707.jpg

20220305_170043.jpg

20220306_121514.jpg

20220306_121442.jpg

23 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Do love these wheels and work well with lowered ride height. With lowering you'll naturally gain more negative camber too, however arch work definitely needed for your spec.

177374752_received_10775465630856752.jpeg.7004fb27b151470ecff76bcb20bed665.jpeg

@Dani350z car above

Thank you! Im very happy with them!

...Yep, I've been looking high and low for someone local that does arch rolling, I'm in South Wales and the only place I can seem to find is Arch Enemy but they wont come this far.. well not without a big added cost anyway unless I had a group around here they might do a deal

That's for another post in the near future though 😅

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice on arch rolling? Cant find anyone that does it around South Wales, i know there is Arch Enemy but they wont come this far from what i've seen, or have to charge a lot due to travel which i understand. Contemplating giving it a go myself im just worried about cracking the paint, obv ill use a heat gun. Im not convinced on the quality of the rollers on Ebay or Amazon they have very mixed reviews. Anyone had any experience using any of those?

Im wondering if i even need to roll them, over wavey/humpy roads at high speeds the wheel does rub/scrub, but im not sure if thats on the inside of the arch or the arch lip, cant see any tyre marks, but im also still on stock suspension so when i switch to the Teins (z street basis as im on a budget) i imagine the stiffness may stop that anyway?)

any thoughts?

cheers