Replaced the VX220 with a...Z

coldel

Well I found out the other day that these cars come with a “noise pipe” effectively a plastic pipe that runs from the air box area of the car into the cabin firewall into the passenger footwell. It has two foam plugs at each end. I removed one. So now I hear the engine inside the cabin a bit louder…and it’s wonderful!

• Like 1

Good job done today, serviced!

Air oil and cabin filters all done. Spar plugs, oil change. Total cost of parts £160. Not too bad at all. 

66116551-9DAB-4BCF-A3BF-943229242208.jpeg.a1ec41b3f176f133d9dc5e3775ce3675.jpeg

Also sourced an oil cooler cover which was missing (that’s the silver box to the front of the engine) and put that on.

Other good job is plugging in a diagnostic tool to check the parking sensor issues and believe we have identified offender rear right, ordering a replacement as we speak.

• 1 month later...

Few little cosmetic bits. I sourced the oil cooler cover, installing was a pain ITB but got it on with a bit of force!

Two other bits, the stock gear knob is a plastic chrome affair, aside from looking crap it’s also not great to handle. Have been looking at the genuine weighted M knob for a while and saw a deal on eBay so snapped one up. I think it definitely suits much better and being three times the weight of the previous one and a good inch and a half shorter makes shifting soo much more engaging

13D10AA2-AE9A-4700-BB14-23711E72F136.jpeg.3282b1944a3fc9a571fcc227b128f752.jpeg

Next job, spacers. Again saw a money off deal and snapped up a set of 12mm and 15mm for front and rear. The difference really sets the car off, looks so much more imposing and stanced.

Before and after. It’s subtle but in the metal looks so much better. And before you ask…yes it was Esso Supreme 99 E5! All the local Shells were sold out!

2A12871C-2EB5-405D-B62A-454762AE1B60.jpeg.edcbb39f6fdd18a80ad417c3bdc1d015.jpeg

B506E8ED-9C5C-489B-AF91-73A93460C504.jpeg.01c5e89754e654868614a1bb56013b0a.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah sorry Davey I didn’t see this post. The plate doesn’t look too bad actually, my mate is going to change his out for something stick on so will wait for him to be the test subject!

Today I popped off the dash plates as they are silver aluminium colour and I wanted to try wrap them in alcantara. I popped off the drivers side part and found it’s a fully cut piece of aluminium metal and quite weighty. I honestly thought it was a thin bendy metal, but it was pretty chunky and great quality. So decided to keep as it is. 

I have to say the build quality of the Z4 is pretty good even though the first ones were coming out now 20 years ago. Every dial and every switch just has that solid smooth feel to the movement. Am very impressed overall sitting in the car. 

Something that bothered me was under the handbrake was a plastic surface all scratched and nasty so got some fabric vinyl and measured up a piece to go in there, rather pleases with the cheap mod!

1EB8AAD1-21AC-4763-A63D-A16FA27C1C02.jpeg.42ced202a3466568ea47f8d50fc1124e.jpeg

I also discovered something rather cool. The battery in the key charges up whilst it’s in the ignition barrel. Clever. I guess I’ve been far to used to driving cars built in the 80s!

60175EB6-74CE-4F4E-A67B-D086EEC75CB4.jpeg.978a13252c663a7641f75ed168f7ebf8.jpeg

Just getting prices for refurbishing the wheels at the moment, they are split rim so not cheap!

…but a couple of months in and still loving that straight six, it’s a beast. I do need to change out the clutch delay valve next time it’s up in the air as that ruins the lower gear changes. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well been a while since I updated this!

Haven't driven it as much as I wanted, but have given it a few good runs and still love it. Revs out so well and howls so good. It has needed some work though!

There was a little oil making its way out so bought a load of gaskets. Rocker cover and the valvetronic both replaced. The gaskets that came off were brittle as anything, literally cracked in my hands. 

IMG_9810.PNG.1ff86e3c959fde021b6bb52974fab120.PNG

Also replaced the handbrake pads and cleaned up the hubs. When getting in and out the car it squeaked at the back like crazy which was the handbrake pad springs. 

IMG_9809.PNG.d436248e3f077c9b000cd020749ded9d.PNG

Put all back together and cleaned up the engine bay. 

igr2AB8m.jpg.431a0cffdd643c7be0272b939f992fbc.jpg

I went and lifted the boot this week when it was below zero outside and heard some cracking...struts failed. The boot is a lot heavier than you give it credit for! New struts from SGS installed.

IMG_3268.jpg.bdca4a528d97675e919ec85c7b1a7e98.jpg

Car is still going great, such a brilliant car, so under rated. 

• Like 6

Well, a week on a one interesting purchase and one day spent cleaning the old girl.

Was on the Zed forum (see what I did there) and some guy posts up a ECP link to some rear brake discs. Pagid, £8.49 each! Now I dont need them, but for £8.49 each I thought why not. I almost bought about a dozen but didn't want to take away this potential bargain from others. Stuck it through on the website, got a confirmation email! Went and picked them up, they handed them over, boom back at the house in the shed for whenever I need them. Total legit Pagid rear brake disc set for a touch under 17 quid. I checked the website this morning, and it looks like the typo has been found...they are priced at £68.99 each 🤣

Anyway second thing was a whole clean up job, spent 5 hours on the paintwork and detailing...detailed pics coming but for now...

https://youtu.be/YAyJGWWgWOo

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

Are you still using a Worx Hydroshot?

Yes I am. I have actually now got a hose that reaches out to the road from an outside tap, so before I rushed out and landed £100 on a pressure washer I tried connecting the normal hose pipe from the tap to the Worx and it did fit! When I used it to snow foam it worked great! Actually is a lot more mobile than dragging a pressure washer unit around the car. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about it, then stuck it up for sale about 10 days ago just to see what happens and boom someone came swooping right in and offered the cash, so I took it. 

Happened so fast I have no idea what to get next!

But yes, time for the next ownership experience!

Yes took 9 days to sell first viewer bought it. Had quite a few watchers on eBay as soon as I took the ad down had messages coming through asking if it was sold as they were interested! Duh.

Yes I’m not sure what next…some pork is tempting but the potential bills are not!