Replaced the VX220 with a...Z

coldel

Put a deposit down today, collecting it next weekend. After going round the houses, looking at numerous cars from an RCZ R (great bit of kit, most powerful production 1.6 litre engine ever made) to an SLK55, I got some inspiration from a couple of guys on this group to try something very left field. 

Someone did mention on another post a Z4M. Reading the reviews, it is very hardcore and actually not very suited to British roads, values have shot up its a lot of money. The next car down in the range is the Z4 3.0si. A straight six, three litre and available in very rare coupe form. I have to say the looks of it really got me, its a stunning car to look at in the metal, its engine is fantastic and down in BMW folklore. According to Howmanyleft there are circa 250 coupes left in the UK, yes its a bit open to some interpretation but ultimately, its a rare car.

I looked at one not far from me, manual, black, good mileage, service history. Couple of niggles to fix (few scratches, rear parking sensors didn't work, needs two new tyres) so negotiated on price but ended up slapping down a deposit. Anyway, a couple of snaps I took of it, this time next week it will be sat outside my house. 

IMG_5249.PNG.74d183a2cb61c21cc1e96a8d44bfaad9.PNG

IMG_5248.PNG.b8e08d844c4c4ab81725385b38e87127.PNG

• Like 10

Well done choosing something, thats the hard part, you seem to have gone through a number of the typical choices, never stopped at the z4. Agree the M version is an animal, my mates loves his, but the z4 3 has a great engine and they are a typical german car, cannot really fault them 😁

• Like 1

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

Glad to see this Z4 found a good home. A guy down the road from me has a white one that appears very neglected.

Every time I walk past I always think how glorious it would look without the faded and swirled paint, and charcoal coated rims:doh:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

guy down the road from me has a white one that appears very neglected.

I do think there should be a charity set up for this sort of thing, there other things like cars, dogs, children etc it hurts 😕 I know many that would re home a needy car.

• Haha 1

Thanks guys. Yes the M equivalent of this would have been circa £25k which is moving it very much into the territory of many other brilliant cars. 

And yes Dan, parts prices are really reasonable. Even the RCZ R I was looking at, due to the alcon floating discs at the front, new ones are circa £900 a pair! This ticked a lot of boxes in terms of ride, handling (its a sport not an SE that doesnt have the M Sport suspension), looks, performance etc.

I will change the alu interior, two new tyres on the back (most likely Goodyear F1 5s), probably wont bother with the scratches for now. Reversing lights will be sorted by a BMW tech mate who will look at it for me. 

• Like 2

On 07/02/2022 at 15:56, Tomato said:

I do think there should be a charity set up for this sort of thing, there other things like cars, dogs, children etc it hurts 😕 I know many that would re home a needy car.

As someone that managed a shop we would have loved a car at the shop front for auction mate. A bit of TLC and be happy to take 80% value its free stock!

Finally picked it up! Very happy faces here in the coldel household. 

A lot more chuckable than I thought it would be, checked online and its 1300kg so not that bad at all. Apparently at the time the lightest 6 cylinder engine in production. Have to say I have missed the ease of progress on motorways, the VX was so much fun but the torque range on this is immense with most it already at the wheels by 1500rpm. Standard exhaust note is pretty good I have to say, apparently a resonator delete is a popular mod to up the sound a bit, but to be honest I am liking it as it is. The engine though is utterly sublime, what a piece of engineering. 

So first job is some tyres. I checked and the fronts are Bridgestone RE050 with a fair bit left which is good news. I am thinking Goodyear F1 Asymetric 5 for replacing the rears, and will probably got the same on the front come the time. Brake pads have loads left so will see how they perform, when I switched the pads on my VX220 to something better the difference was hugely significant so am looking at them as well. 

Wheels do sit inside the arches, I might add a few mm of spacers on them. Then well all that done run the car over to get wheels aligned. 

Anyway...start of a new chapter of car ownership!

1608702616_Screenshot2022-02-1312_21_04.png.e764e53f18048cf8ac9e6a0f18e57fe6.png

• Like 7

Very nice! B):thumbs:

The engine in these is wonderful I think, the engine is so smooth and free revving. The engine in the 370 is quite reluctant to rev(especially at high revs) in comparison to the engine in this I reckon. 

Enjoy it. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee370Z said:

Very nice! B):thumbs:

The engine in these is wonderful I think, the engine is so smooth and free revving. The engine in the 370 is quite reluctant to rev(especially at high revs) in comparison to the engine in this I reckon. 

Enjoy it. :) 

…yes the engine is fantastic. It does rev up so well and pulls so hard. Watching various YT vids they say it’s one of BMWs best. I do really like the gearbox though, it’s a very short throw, proper notchy no movement in it at all. Feels very racecar

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1