Tyre Size Question (Advice Please)

DannyH

Hi All,

I was just looking for some advice, i have the standard Rays wheels on my 350z and the tyres on them are 245 45 18's, i have the opertunity to buy some 255 45 18's, my question is will these be ok???

Will have any problems as thats the last thing i want.

Thanks

Danny

Maybe i'm missing something but how would adding a wider tyre alter the rolling radius?

I was under the impression the rolling radius would only be altered if you changed the profile of the tyre (and/or the size of rim) i.e going down to a 40 series tyre or up to a 50 series tyre.

There is a difference. 245 x 45 x 18 has an overall diameter of 26.68 inches (678 mm) whereas 255 x 45 x 18 has an overall diameter of 27.04 inches (687 mm) so the difference is 9 mm (1.33%).

A 1% difference in the rolling radius should not effect the TC or anything like that and 255 should be fine for an 8.5" wheel (which Rays are on the rear iirc). All you will find is with wider tyres is a buldging look as it is the widest that the wheel will take.

Check with Phil@ESR, Adam@Z1, Kev@Envy for their views, but as far as I can see the tyres will fit. Personally I still wouldnt use them as they just "feel" too wide to me.

Danny, what REALLY matters is whether your rim width will take a wider tyre.

After extensive research I found that my 8.5J rims could take up to 285 but 265 would be more comfortable and not be at risk of popping off the rim when high speed cornering (on a track of course). I believe regular Rays are 8J so you should be fine with 265 and definitely 255.

As for the rolling radius..... :yawn: :yawn: