Overfilled oil or not?

Mitchelln

Hi all, 

Recently just bought my nissan, 

Been driving round for a week now after getting back from work i checked the oil level on this amazing dip stick. 

I let the engine cool down 15 mins or so at least. 

Level on dipstick from the L position was around say 1-2 letter above that.

I have now put around 400ml of oil in. 

Now after letting her cool down Reading is about 1 letter higher than the H, 

Do I have a real problem on my hand and need to drain ASAP? 

Hello and welcome, 

This might help, if it's slightly above the H it has been overfilled and you'd be best draining out a small amount just to be on the safe side. It shouldn't cause any issues being slightly overfilled but better safe than sorry IMHO. 

image.png.78a43f75fe8a882ddb8f89c659e176ab.png

• Thanks 1

When measuring the oil level it's always best to leave overnight.

If you come back from a drive and try to measure the oil level I'd be surprised if you could get an accurate reading even if you waited an hour for it to settle.

I bought a syringe and narrow hose which I can feed down the dipstick hole to help remove excess oil when the garage accidentally overfilled one of my cars.

• Like 1

Tbh I’ll probably be a pariah after saying this, level surface start it up once for a few seconds then leave it for about  30s then quickly dip it and pull it out and I can get a good read- atleast it’s not a sodding Renault traffic with the stupid plastic filller dipstick lid with a slow filler 💀

1 hour ago, Azurez33 said:

Tbh I’ll probably be a pariah after saying this, level surface start it up once for a few seconds then leave it for about  30s then quickly dip it and pull it out and I can get a good read- atleast it’s not a sodding Renault traffic with the stupid plastic filller dipstick lid with a slow filler 💀

I always thought I was an odd one out, never once had an issue with the DE reading the level. 

All I did was rough up the back of the stick with some 80 grit, works a treat. No issues in or out either.

Always for the wifes old 307cc far worse, orange plastic end on it, bloody useless.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Willsy1980 said:

I always thought I was an odd one out, never once had an issue with the DE reading the level. 

All I did was rough up the back of the stick with some 80 grit, works a treat. No issues in or out either.

Always for the wifes old 307cc far worse, orange plastic end on it, bloody useless.

Well atleast twos company haha! I get much worse ones at work haha! yeah exactly what I did mate! Now I don’t feel like a lemon thankyou! Yes we have issues with some of those aswell haha! Stick to a bloody metal one not with plastic rubbish on it 

• Like 1