OEM/ Standard Map Needed for VQ35HR 2007

jedethridge

Hello All, 

I have an issue that I never saw coming, TLDR - The car was re-mapped by Horsham Developments under the previous owner,

the car has the Up-rev software,

I have changed the intake and entire exhaust system and went to get it re-mapped by Mulgari Cars,

Mulgari drove my z with a data logger and found alot of the data in the map was corrupted.

Mulgari recommended getting a OEM map, unfortunately he cannot get hold of one himself,

Nissan won't wipe and install a clean map (only do ECU replacement for £2000 ish), here we are.

Every other tuner I have spoken to cannot wipe a map only overwrite it which will not fix the problem.

More Detail:

Especially between idle and 2000rpm the engine stutters (did this before and after intake and exhaust mods) and feels like it has cams installed, the power steps two times before hitting VVT.

Around 1800rpm the car used to have a big stutter like the fuel had been turned off but high revs have always been smooth, replacing the fuel damper has fixed this issue.

Spark Plugs have also been replaced along with the rocker covers as the spark plug seals had gone.

I am assuming the injectors are good as from 3000rpm upwards the engine is smooth and definitely pulls all the way to 70mph ;)

Any idea if the Up-rev software encodes data which would show up as corrupted to a data logger (seems unusual for only some info to be encoded)?

Anyone have an OEM map file lying around?

Thank you in advance, I have put some serious effort into restoring this car and I am very frustrated to come across an issue that is impossible for me to solve.

18 hours ago, jedethridge said:

Every other tuner I have spoken to cannot wipe a map only overwrite it which will not fix the problem.

Seems odd that a full overwrite won't fix it but an OEM map will?

As above, I'm sure Abbey would be able to sort it.

HI all, 

@Andy_Muxlow I have spoken to Horsham and of course they recommended me to book in for diag. 

Mulgari is currently looking into his connections to see if anyone can assist, since it has only been a few weeks and the car is still driveable my current thought is too wait and see what Mulgari comes back with and then I will probably be forced down the Horsham route or Nissan route.

@ZMANALEX Big thank you for the Abby Motorsport mention, any lead is a win at this point. Having read through reviews of Up-rev I would prefer it not be a part of my car if I can help it.

@Sim From what Mulgari told me this is the reason an overwrite won't work. Some of the data for the map has become corrupted meaning the car (in a broad term) does not know what to do because it cannot read the corrupted data, this explains the very brief stutters that occur at consistent rpms while driving (at least it makes sense to me for the stutters to correlate), An overwrite would not get rid of the corrupted data so the car would still drive badly or become even worse, thus the path I am on now -_-

This may take a few months to resolve but I will make sure to update the thread in case anyone is unfortunate enough to have the same occur.  

On 22/01/2022 at 14:34, jedethridge said:

@ZMANALEX Big thank you for the Abby Motorsport mention, any lead is a win at this point. Having read through reviews of Up-rev I would prefer it not be a part of my car if I can help it.

I'm puzzled why you don't want UpRev on there? I'd much rather have a mapped Z than stock.

I started with UpRev on my 370Z then went to ECUtek, but only for the extra features, not because there was anything wrong with UpRev. 

Hi, @Sim

Funnily enough what kicked this all off was trying to get the 350 mapped after I installed sports headers, cats and a long tube intake.

The guys at Horsham Dev do not seem to be a bad tuner, from what I have been able to read online alot of people have issues with UpRev as a software.

Definitely want my z mapped just not with the UpRev software which has most likely got me into this situation in the first place.

16 hours ago, jedethridge said:

Hi, @Sim

Funnily enough what kicked this all off was trying to get the 350 mapped after I installed sports headers, cats and a long tube intake.

The guys at Horsham Dev do not seem to be a bad tuner, from what I have been able to read online alot of people have issues with UpRev as a software.

Definitely want my z mapped just not with the UpRev software which has most likely got me into this situation in the first place.

Ok, to be honest this is the first time I've ever heard any Z owner have an issue with UpRev. Where are you reading the bad reviews?

Good luck getting it sorted, I'm surprised someone can't just flash the ECU with base maps, would be interesting to hear the final diagnosis and fix.

13 minutes ago, Sim said:

Ok, to be honest this is the first time I've ever heard any Z owner have an issue with UpRev. Where are you reading the bad reviews?

Good luck getting it sorted, I'm surprised someone can't just flash the ECU with base maps, would be interesting to hear the final diagnosis and fix.

I had an issue with UpRev on my car (370Z). It had been tuned with UpRev before i bought it and i experienced random loss of power (no fault codes at all anywhere) which would disappear after stopping and restarting the car.

I took mine to Abbey who suggested it may be down to the UpRev map as they had experienced it in the past (rarely - but normally on different maps) anyway I bit the bullet and got mine wiped and retuned with EcuTek. I haven't had any issues since and I now have adjustable traction control and the EcuTek bluetooth dongle to boot!

I don't think it is a common issue, but it does happen.

@jedethridge I would definitely recommend trying Abbey Motorsport.

• Like 1

Hi, @Bunning

Thank you for the story, great news to hear a wipe of a map is possible.

It will probably be another month before I can save enough pennies to get this sorted but will definitely post what my solution was and how it was fixed, I do not want anyone else to  have to experience this. 

So being a 350Z  we can only tune with Uprev Ecutek is only for the 370Z  I am afraid;

The reason the other tuners cant talk to the ECU is due to the encryption when the Uprev license is load to enable the ECU to be tuned.

What your saying is classic HR issue around 1800 to 3000rpm , this is normally the exhaust cam control PID , as these cars get older the exhaust cam control response slows down so cause a stutter like you have said , have you checked hot oil pressure , failing gallery gaskets can also cause the issues as if the gaskets have failed the inlet cam control will be slow again causing issues.

I think you need to stay with Uprev tuning, I think this with any issue sorted will provide a very good car.

Look into the Oil gallery issues and then someone with a Uprev cable can datalog to see if the exhaust cam control is giving issues.

Any questions ask away

• Like 1