High Pitched Noise

pmacleod

So, I have been having an issue with my car where I can hear a high pitched noise (whine/whistle) that seems to be coming from the rear of my Z. 

Firstly I changed the fuel pump since I read of a few people on this forum and others saying that they can make noise from cavitation in the pump or something like that. Put in a Hitachi replacement unit and no difference.

I then thought it might be one of the electrical bits in the rear that's doing it, so I went and sound proofed the hell out of the rear of my car, unfortunately no change other than slightly less road noise.

I'm really not sure what it can be at this point, but this morning after starting my car before heading out I realised I forgot something in my house and found I could hear the high pitched noise from outside much louder than inside the car.

Now I'm curious if it could potentially be a pin hole in the exhaust? Has anyone had this before? I was thinking of putting some exhaust paste on all the flanges just to eliminate the chance of any leaks from there...

Turned your radio off? I have a similar sounding electrical whine which goes away with the radio off. 

edit - Just realised you could hear it outside the car, and stationary. Not going to be the electrical issue then. 

From the rear of the car eliminates belt tensioners etc seemingly too. 

Edited by RyanT

Yup definitely from the rear, crawled around for a bit around the car and the front is silent (other than engine noise of course ^^). 

Since I changed the fuel pump I figured it wouldn't be that either.

I'm going to remove the covers on the fuel pump and see if it is that, hopefully not... I hate trying to return faulty goods... Fingers crossed. Will lift the car up on quickjacks and see if I can trace the sound from underneath too. Worst case if it's the exhaust I need to find a nice new system :) been eyeing up milltek for a while

15 hours ago, pmacleod said:

Yup definitely from the rear, crawled around for a bit around the car and the front is silent (other than engine noise of course ^^). 

Since I changed the fuel pump I figured it wouldn't be that either.

I'm going to remove the covers on the fuel pump and see if it is that, hopefully not... I hate trying to return faulty goods... Fingers crossed. Will lift the car up on quickjacks and see if I can trace the sound from underneath too. Worst case if it's the exhaust I need to find a nice new system :) been eyeing up milltek for a while

We had an odd rattle on a mates motorbike exhaust recently and traced it by using a screwdriver to apply pressure near the joints to see where the rattle source was, might help?

Okay so I've sealed all the flanges on the exhaust and retorqued everything... But while I was under the car and had it running again it seemed to be coming from the fuel tank. I opened up the service hatch to the pump and yeah, it's making the noise. The noise is alongside the normal sound of fuel being pumped it seems... Any ideas? It's a new Hitachi replacement pump. Anyone has issues before?