Twin Turbo engine rebuild?

ShinyPsyduck

Hi all,

I have a Nissan 350z 04 with around 67k miles and an APS twin turbo kit that was fitted at around 20k.

So recently I have been having some issues with my engine. Started as a misfire that I couldn’t solve so I sent it to a garage to get checked. The first garage passed on the work asking it to be taken to Hypertech in Bonnybridge.

Hypertech have check the car out and have come back to me with the news that one of the pistons has oil in it and would require a rebuild. Technical jargon but the piston ring seals have broken down, there may be scoring on the bore. They also mentioned that I have a few other issues like an exhaust leak. They are going to provide me a quote for the work. Need to follow this up today…

Now I haven’t had this car for a year yet and I would like to rebuild where possible. Id say the budget for rebuilding would be around 5k or I would be looking at another car.

Questions:

Is it worth rebuilding the stock engine and fixing the problems or swapping for another part used engine? ( I would be refitting the APS TT kit)

Should I scrap the project and pull off the turbo kit?

How much would a rebuild usually cost? (price ranges is fine)

Is there anywhere you would suggest I get the rebuild done in Scotland?

Thank you,

Psyduck

Hi there, 

Considering the mileage your current engine is on, I'd keep that as it's pretty low mileage and just go with forged internals as you're running a TT kit. 

In terms of parts, you're looking at around £1-3k depending on what you want changing. 

Fitment prices would really depend on where you're going and how quickly they can carry out the work, unfortunately I'm not very clued up in terms of engine builders around the Scotland area so I wouldn't be able to recommend anywhere in particular. 

If you need any guidance with choosing parts, I'm here, feel free to drop me a PM :wave:

• Like 1

If indeed the oil is getting passed the piston then a set of rings and a bore hone may fix the issue, however you will likely find that the piston oil glands are damaged, so a set of pistons and a rebore may be required.

When you are there ,best to fit new bearings to the crankshaft.

The above is just to address the oil problem, and is the cheapest way to fix your issue, however if you wish to go forged and then remap to increase the power then that is a completely different ball game and the extent of the build will depend on how deep your pockets are.

If the diagnoses is correct, the next stage would be to remove and tear down the engine for inspection and quotation.

What ECU are you running?

What are your current power and torque numbers?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your troubles mate.

It all depends on what you want from the car. If your going to strip the bottom end, which it sounds like your going to have to, you can throw in some forged parts and the APS TT kit can run upto 550-600bhp as is. Labour wont be much more than the cost of a refresh, just parts.

If not just give it a refresh as Alex mentioned and you should be good for a long while running about 400bhp.

Me, i would go forged, you've got most of the ingredients for a monster build.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thank you for responding.

I will be definitely putting the turbos back on, it was the only reason I went for this particular 350 and it would be a shame to castrate it so early into my ownership! I wouldn’t be looking for much more BHP from the car either as I like the fuel economy to power ratio currently but theres always room to grow.

I think I will need to book her in for an initial tear down and see what needs changed but thank you for your estimates as it puts me a little bit more at ease knowing it not a 10k plus mess! What sucks is I was hoping this would be a daft simple fix as I need the car in a couple weeks. I am moving jobs and will need it to commute until im given a car. Looks like I’m borrowing my sisters little blue fiat 500! 😛

My current power was: 414hp, 400lbd torque from TDI North. I believe I have the standard ECU but with a UPREV Map.

Any questions on the build please ask away. If you have a recommended garage to do the rebuild near central Scotland please let me know!

Thank you,

Craig

IMG_2722.jpg

• Like 1