non-OEM fabricated W brace - anyone interested need to order minimum of 10 for best price of £70 - 9 interested so 1 spare, orders in :-)

MicktZZZ

Hi everyone following a post I made re my rotten W brace, I am looking at possibly fabricating a non-OEM alternative.  Background is I purchased a TarmacSportz one but unfortunately it catches on my non-OEM exhaust which is 3inch diameter.  I can probably return the TS brace and purchase an OEM brace but am considering having a brace fabricated for a couple of reasons,
1. OEM brace is expensive £200-ish
2. OEM brace seems prone to rot, whether that be the design being prone to collecting water etc. or materials used, or rust protection added or our climate or combination of all above

So I have mocked up a design (see attached, dimensions are rough just for estimate purposes) that should fit my car main difference to TS brace being front edge moves back further approx. 30mm (to same position as OEM brace) to where exhaust curves up, and had a quote from a local laser cutting company, so a single brace made from 4mm S275 steel unfinished is £90+VAT plus delivery

However price if ordering 10 drops to £50+VAT unfinished plus delivery, if you want finished I can paint (or my son can 🙂) for additional £10 using Black EM121 Epoxy Rust Proofing Paint from Rust Buster, so total finished inc VAT would be £70 plus delivery

Lead times quoted are 3-4 days dependent upon material supply
And delivery would be at buyers cost, or collection possible from Sheffield area

Anyway before I go ahead I wanted to gauge if there is enough group interest to reach the 10 quantity, if there is I will do a bit more design work to consider other non-OEM exhausts to try and ensure brace would fit majority of after market exhausts (may need your help with this but if the OEM brace fits your car this design should), either way I will be ordering one as it seems simplest solution to getting a brace I know that fits that will be of similar performance and standard of non-OEM braces available

03/12 - Quick Update, brace will be 5mm same as TS one which has increased single price to £97+VAT but not effected 10 price, have added a couple of pictures of a prototype, I still think front edge needs to go further back maybe another 10mm, so will try a quick re-design

Anyway if interested let me know and I will start a list off

03/12 - So far we have👍

Me 🙂

Andy_Muxlow

Oggieteepo

harrison140

06/12 Adding

ballistic

07/12 adding

zelda

RavenDW

14/12 adding

bluethermal

Luigi350z

Update 08/12 - Have mocked up a final prototype (one on left in picture) based upon my CAD model (that was fun learning CAD !), final design sees the front edge moving back 50mm from the TS brace position (shown in green in CAD image), the front edge is straight for about 16.5cms so should accommodate dual systems and gives me 12-13mm of clearance which I hope would be plenty, could go back a little further but I start to get close to my middle box, just going back to check quote with company, and as I'm getting close to numbers now so if you can check your system and let me know if this will fit your car, cheers

20211208_150300.jpg

20211208_150541.jpg

20211208_144940.jpg

350z_wbrace_v3.jpg

Edited by MicktZZZ
  • Like 1

Ive got a true dual 3" APS exhaust. I have a feeling i would have the same problems with aftermarket ones as you.

Im interested :thumbs:

One question, is 4mm S275 steel thick enough? Bearing in mind that many aftermarket brace are designed to work alongside the OEM W brace.

Edited by ballistic

9 hours ago, ballistic said:

Ive got a true dual 3" APS exhaust. I have a feeling i would have the same problems with aftermarket ones as you.

Im interested :thumbs:

One question, is 4mm S275 steel thick enough? Bearing in mind that many aftermarket brace are designed to work alongside the OEM W brace.

Hi yes your right I've checked the TS brace and it's 4.9mm so 5mm should be OK, I have updated original post but this only effects single price by a few quid, cheers will add you to list👍

1 minute ago, MicktZZZ said:

Hi yes your right I've checked the TS brace and it's 4.9mm so 5mm should be OK, I have updated original post but this only effects single price by a few quid, cheers will add you to list👍

Just read your question again I'm pretty sure the aftermarket braces are designed as  replacement for oem brace I've read quite a few posts and watched the videos on TS and they show them replacing Oem brace

Did think about it but seen people saying it wouldn't have the same stiffness plus material more expensive, I'm thinking the problem why the oem rots is down to the design being prone to collect and hold crap so I'm thinking a simpler flat bar design together with decent paint will see it last at least as long as oem one

• MicktZZZ changed the title to non-OEM fabricated W brace - anyone interested need to order minimum of 10 for best price of £70 - 5 interested so far :-)

Maybe a daft question, but would there be a downside to having one of these if you have a stock exhaust?

I definitely need a new W brace and obviously I'd rather pay £50 than £150 as long as there won't be any issues with a stock setup.

• MicktZZZ changed the title to non-OEM fabricated W brace - anyone interested need to order minimum of 10 for best price of £70 - 6 possibly 7 interested so far :-)
  • MicktZZZ changed the title to non-OEM fabricated W brace - anyone interested need to order minimum of 10 for best price of £70 - 7 interested so far :-)

Hi all so have confirmed the new design and price with the laser cutting company still all good, I'm actually up to 9 as have a couple of mates who want these who aren't on the forum 😮 I know I keep telling them they need to be on !

So I want to go ahead and order and I will bear the additional cost and hang onto the spare and advertise for sale separately as I'm sure someone will need one shortly

So to progress can I ask for a deposit of £20 from everyone, I hope that's OK if you want to message me I will send you my PP details cheers

Awesome,

Thanks MicktZZZ for sorting this. 

I'm gonna put it out there... Anyone else in the Portsmouth / Chichester area for joint postage?

Edit: turns out the postage isn't going to be that much by the looks of things. 

Edited by Oggieteepo
New information

• MicktZZZ changed the title to non-OEM fabricated W brace - anyone interested need to order minimum of 10 for best price of £70 - 9 interested so 1 spare, orders in :-)

Hi all well collected braces today, they look great or as well as a piece of metal under the car can look 🤣

Good news is they fit, I must have checked measurements 10 times but was still unsure until I got them back, and no long catches my exhaust

Plan is to de-grease them and paint over holidays and then ship them in January to avoid Xmas post issues plus lets everyone get remaining cash together, unless anyone needs it urgent if so let me know.  if you want to start sending your addresses I will prep the parcels, delivery will be £9 via Hermes next day

Pictures of unpainted brace fitted (don't ask why they are upside down cos I don't know !!)

20211220_151438.jpg

20211220_151426.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry but it looks like I am not going to be able to get these painted, various reasons but mainly my son doesn't want to do them and I haven't got time, so am going to have to send out unpainted .. good news is they're a tenner cheaper (£60+£9 delivery) and you can now paint whatever colour you like now .. I'm going with some hammerite smooth red 😀

I've got some addresses so will start sending these out later this week, if others want to send their addresses will also send out, remainder to pay is £49 to same paypal account please, no desperate rush but before end of January when credit card bill due 😬 cheers