MOT Fail Help!

Zoolander

Hi All 

I have some issues on 06 DE with Spacer, Berk HFC, Miltek cat back and Abbey tune to 301 HP

The car was overfuelling, had car checked for exhaust leaks, intake and vac leaks all clear, then I noticed that Bank 2 Sensor 1 was a little lazy on its voltages. 

Swapped in a new sensor and consumption appears normal and it no longer smells like its spitting half its fuel out the back. 

Question is, my results prior to this were in the region of 1 for CO, the lambda was indicating rich running too, will this have corrected enough? or is it likely that my Berks have Sh*t themselves? Anyone know any members sussex way with a set of stock cats in the shed I could hire for a day or so? 

Thanks in advance

Do you know what the live data was? best way to check for cat integrity is to check the post cat lambda isn’t switching like the pre cat sensor should be nice and steady at 0.45v. Another thing might be worth keeping in mind how’s your spark plugs doing? if you’ve got no exhaust leaks or intake leaks- get someone to check the live data, what fuel do you use? How often do you use it? did you get them red hot before the test? Or did the tester?we have a girl at work same problem every year it’s a pain to get through, use a cataclean give it a long run and gets through pretty close every year 

Thanks for the reply, so to address your q's:

- On my Scan tool the voltages of post cat were constant, but they are on spacers by the looks of it. 

- I use Shell V-power or Momentum 99 only as a general rule

- I use the car frequently, about a tank a month of fuel as a minimum

- The Cats were starting to smell by the end of attempting to get it through, I could have probably got them hotter,

- Will check the plugs, I have some Iridiums on the way so will exclude that shortly. 

Going to have it sniffed tomorrow and will post up the proper results. 

On 30/11/2021 at 21:24, Azurez33 said:

Do you know what the live data was? best way to check for cat integrity is to check the post cat lambda isn’t switching like the pre cat sensor should be nice and steady at 0.45v. Another thing might be worth keeping in mind how’s your spark plugs doing? if you’ve got no exhaust leaks or intake leaks- get someone to check the live data, what fuel do you use? How often do you use it? did you get them red hot before the test? Or did the tester?we have a girl at work same problem every year it’s a pain to get through, use a cataclean give it a long run and gets through pretty close every year 

Results this morning we.

CO 1.48

HC 40PPM or something fine

Lambda 0.92 

Assume rich condition is still a problem? 

Yeah it shouldn’t be that bloody high! if you say the lambdas are reading well, second lambda does seem a little high, have you changed your spark plugs also? 

From an outsider almost looks like they’re decats 😂 Does it run lumpy at all? 

Yep the tester was pretty impressed with that CO... essentially accused me of having hollowed out Cats on there. 

To be honest, now I have been paying more attention to the car I does have a little skip at Idle, maybe a slight misfire. Plugs are in hand but I just don't have time, I have booked it in later in the month with a trusted local independent. 

Seems more likely based on your response that the catalyst is beyond its service life... let the hunt for stock Cats begin! 

Don't know any members sussex way that have any in a shed I could rent for a day or two? 

20 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

Yeah it shouldn’t be that bloody high! if you say the lambdas are reading well, second lambda does seem a little high, have you changed your spark plugs also? 

From an outsider almost looks like they’re decats 😂 Does it run lumpy at all?